Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bags Gone

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Joker, Oct 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Closed

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  2. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

I dont think adjustable ride height is a FAD. Why wouldnt a static drop be ok anymore? There are plenty of awesome cars dropped statically all over. I dont ever hear anyone speak ill because a car is lowered statically. I for one will be bagged because I want adjustability, ride comfort, and I dont want to use air shocks!

3. squirrel

squirrel

4. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

my car rides really nice with the air bag system that is on my car..its been on there for about 7 years..it has a few "sticky" valves, but other than that it works great...with all the technology that has been going into these new systems I think they are here to stay..

5. el shad

el shad

Not a fad to me simply because it is my style, and I don't care what others think. I remember drooling over hydros at local low rider shows when I was in grade school. With that being said it is a personal preference to me as opposed to a fad.

If you disagree with this statement I don't care about that either. Just saying.

6. yes they are before long you will be reading on here about how dorky a car looks laying frame or rockers in the show fields

7. Cars look dorky laying frame or rockers in the show fields.

8. squirrel

squirrel

that didn't take long

9. BadLuck

BadLuck

i dont think its a passing trendy fad... bags actually serve a purpose... neon colors and billet rims didnt. ive had cars just lowered AND with hydraulics. The hydraulics were more for fun.. 3 wheeling, hopping etc.. the bags on my 52 are my first, and i love them. i only use them to raise up when im driving or going in steep driveways, or down dirt roads (which are everywhere around here!) my car rides nice with them, have had them for two years with no problems... yes i wouldnt mind having it just lowered, but having the option to raise it up, and lower it with the hit of a switch is SOOOO nice. I dont thing bags are going away anytime soon, when installed correctly, they make a great addition to any custom. My worthless two pennies. :) now im just waiting for the neon trend to come back so i can wear my neon pink fanny pack again.....

10. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I grew up loving lowriders too, but that doesn't I want everything that low. On most traditional customs, I think it hurts the flow and feel of a car if its laying on the gound. Bags are here to stay but I think the popularity will die down as trend hoppers leave and go on to different things.

11. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

I don't really see this one as a passing fad...its a good solution to a very real problem, having a car low enough without compromising safety or the ability to drive the car. Anyone here read the Junior Conway coupe thread, where it was mentioned that people would lift the car body(!) to get over speed bumps? That is ok if that is what you want (not knocking that build, or the original car in any way...its a clone, and bags aren't right for a clone), but personally, I don't want a car that couldn't go up a steep driveway without scraping.

The whole cost issue doesn't really wash with me...look at what decent vintage bodies, engines, parts, etc go for. Its not chump change. Unless you have all the vintage stuff in your garage already, its no cheaper than the bellybutton billet street rod that everyone here hates.

12. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

But havent Cars been laying rocker in the show fields since the late 50's??????

Real Dorky!

13. I think they are here to stay.. many lowriders are switching to bags because of the better ride, and less maintenance.. static lowering is great IF you have nice smooth roads, with no speed bumps etc...

14. I hope not haha

but I don't see it going anywhere..lowriders have been around for a long time and the mini truck guys have been doing it for awhile too...even if you look at some of the kustom magazines in the 50's those guys were doing it too

15. Eryk

Eryk

So you're suggesting that anything post Westergard/Ayala style custom era is a fad? Adjustable suspension has been around since the 50's. Not on every other car like today. But it was around. I had this conversation with Larry Watson when I was trying to decide whether or not to bag my Olds a few years ago. I was asking him about Grapevine and how low it was. He said, "If I could have gone lower....I would have. I was getting hassled by the cops enough." Then we started talking about early adjustable suspensions like X-Sonic and also Jim Noteboom's 53 Chevy and he agreed that there wasn't much difference between cars like those and todays bagged and juiced custom except for todays cars ride better because of better technology. Larry was oldschool. But he wasn't closed-minded.

16. BadLuck

BadLuck

i just dont see cars like Ians. "going out of style" because its lowered with bags! laying on the rockers in my opinion IS a little much.. but getting it down as low as you can AND still be able to drive.. how could that be a passing trend? I dont look at Ian's chevy and think.. "man, that car would look so much better if it was raised 4 or 5 inches" :)

Attached Files:

• IANS.jpg
      IANS.jpg
      File size:
      62.3 KB
      Views:
  17. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

snicker, snicker, haw-haw:p

18. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I love the ride I will always use air bags on the right car. Everything is a big circle I guess next you will tell me traditional cars will come back in style lol.

19. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I wasn''t saying it doesn't look good on anything, I was saying it doesn't look good on everything. Someday it wont be on as many cars as it is now is all. x sonic and alot of cool customs had adjustable suspension back in the day, and that's awesome, but not every 4 door shoebox and beat up 49-54 chevy did. That merc looks perfect just like it is and nobody will argue that, but you gotta admit you have seen cars that the bags didnt work with the rest of the look.

20. But that is not the fault of the bags. The same car that looks bad with them (laying frame) could look super cool and still gain the versitility that bags offer. I know some guys are super opposed to them because they are not traditional and part of owning a traditional low car is dealing with the issues that come along with it but personally I don't feel they take anything away from a build if used properly.

21. LULL

LULL

My truck is lowered static...and I have to say that being stuck that low is sometimes a big pain in the ass!....I have plan my routes to avoid really rough roads, I have to crawl over RR tracks and speed bumps, scrape going up steep drives, It is very difficult to tow, had to buy an ultra low profile jack, etc. etc...oh and did I say it rides rough as hell!
    But I wanted my truck to be ultra traditional....my next project will be bagged!

22. BadLuck

BadLuck

youre totally right... but like was said already, thats not the fault of the bags... same could be said about chopping... look how many CHOPPED four door shoe boxes and 49-54 chevys you see that just dont work with the car?

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

bags are here to stay. hopefully laying frame is on it's way out.

guess it's all about where your head is at. I like old cars because I like driving them. bags seem like a lot of money and effort to look good parked.

maybe when I win the lotto and have Oz build me a show car I'd bag it, until then I'll use regular old springs.

I do like them on other peoples cars most of the time... just not mine.

24. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

My car is traditionally inspired, but not held to exacting standards, if I set my bags right, you would never know they were there, and the traditional police would never call me on it.

But since I started out in cars I personnally have always like the car as low as possible, it was never low enough for me, so rockers and frame on the ground is just right. Since I build my cars for me that is probably be what they will all get.

Any cars I do for anyone else, will get what they want (as long as its safe).

25. That time is here and now for my taste.

26. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Lets hope the silly bagged customs make way for the resurgence of monster lifted Corvettes and ElCaminos!

Put the knife down, i was kidding! Bags are here to stay, IMHO

27. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

everything is a passing fad. some people decide to hold onto fads, and the masses don't. that said.... hot rods, customs, motorcycles, etc are all passing fads-- each passes in and out of fad like status.

that said..... only hipsters should worry about fads.

-scott noteboom

28. IM in no way a airbag guy but i don't see it going away! the way the roads are now here in los angeles you need a some kind of ajustable suspention and the roads are only getting worse. i cant drive my 48 on some highways because its too low. so its time to put some juice in that one

29. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

I honestly don't care if it is a fad....I love the look...even some of those that lay frame (my 49 laid frame)....once I can save up for a good system...and get some help with some of the work I can not do myself best bet my 50 will get bagged...I think some people do it to be a part of the fad and in the end can care less....others do it because they truly love the look and the drive/feel...I am the latter...and I hope the fad goes away and drives prices of some of that stuff down..ha

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fad or not, they benefit my business greatly.

Gone are the days that I have to go through 22 coil spring changes, 6 returning to previously tried rates, to make a customer happy. (Yes, this really happened.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.