Register now to get rid of these ads!

A V8 roadster update- been a while!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Well, summer is coming to an end. So I guess I better work on my summer car :D When I bought my 33 pickup last spring I moved the A's frame to storage so I had room to work. Buying that pickup changed everything. I ended up using the 1934 engine that was going in the roadster for the pickup. I decided that I really want a SOUPED up roadster. So new plans are a 59AB with merc crank. Should scream compared to the 221! So today I moved stuff around in the garage and got the frame back home. I dug out a clean block and mocked it up with the 59AB. I already had the mounts in for the 34 engine...they have a lot lower mounts. Ford had these spacers that were offered to put a later engine in a 36-earlier V8 car and a good friend of mine had a set he donated. Everything fell into place and the ol 239 will work great! I also mounted the bitchin headlight bar I just got from NealinCA and man it looks so bitchin!! I gotta tweak the mounting arms but it'll do ;)

So will build the engine and will get the frame done. I am up in the air on weather to just throw it together or paint the body. Before telling me to paint it remember this: I never wanted this car to be "nice". I would probably paint it with a brush or an antique sprayer and sand/rub it until it looks as good as I can get it. The body will not be perfect, as the rest of the car is not. It's not that I'm lazy, I just want an old roadster done how they were that I can thrash on.
    If it does not get painted it will come apart down the road to get squirted. Main thing I wanna drive this son-bitch next year!!

So here is the "new" mock up!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

patmanta likes this.
  2. NealinCA

NealinCA

Lookin good Chris! Glad the headlight bar went to a good home...

I figured it would fit a Model A frame, but I guess the 32 frame horns taper in a lot more...'cause it fit perfectly on here...

[​IMG]

Neal

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  3. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Great project....I really like the fact that you plan to drive the hell out of this thing. Keep us posted on your progress.

4. Looks great Chris! Clean and simple...

-Shiny

5. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Beautiful mock up!! (Not like I expected anything less!)

6. Chris, You need to do this one right. Paint it. Patina is so overrated. Time to man up on this build.

7. Chris , great start, Keep the progress pics coming ,,,,Sam

8. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

here we go again

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. so no mini z in the frame ala tardell?tk

10. tysond

tysond

Chassis looks nice. It looks like what I'm building. What part combo did you end up using?

11. Awesome as usual, Chris. Keep us posted as progress continues. Thanks, Don.

12. spence-d

spence-d

Thats lookin great Chris!!...I remember wondering about those lower mounts...now i know!
    Spence.

13. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

yea buddy, get after it!

14. Nope, I built this car with Model A running gear last year and LOVED the stance. Now it should sit a tad lower with the 32 axle and a leaf taken out the back. I wanted this thing "high and mighty"

Here it is at last mock up with the 21 stud in it.

[​IMG]

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Looking good dude, that 239 is going to be awesome!!! Funny those spacers are pretty much the same ones that Hurst sold to put my 265 Chevy in my '35. I had no idea that Ford offered the same type to put newer engine in.

I would brush paint the car and get it over with right now. The body looks like it's in pretty good condition for maybe take a week and have the car blasted and then prime and brush the paint on. I like the looks of an old brush job anyhow and plan on doing my '33 in a dark chocolate brown or a dark maroon brush job. It'll have the same vibe as this roadster an undropped axle and wire wheels.

I have the same engine almost too but the one I have is an 8ba with Edelbrock heads and a 2x2 intake. I'd like to convert like we talked about though.

Get going there's probably only a couple weeks before you find another project!!!

16. casper

casper

I guess I missed the original build thread. What are you using for the center crossmember with the wishbone mount?

17. RGG

RGG

Great project, keep the the updates with pictures coming like you did with your other projects. I have used them quite a bit to plan my project. Hey, copying is the highest form of praise - right :)

RGG

18. lorodz

lorodz

been waiting for this along time......thank god its back...lol

19. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Chris, You have outdone yourself once again ! The rolling frame is quite a neat and simple collection of the just right parts. Looking forward to updates.

20. Paul

Paul
    Editor

familiar shift knob

[​IMG]

21. As usual, it looks great!

Can't wait to see more!

22. It's an F-1 cross member (technically 1942-1952) and a home made wishbone mount I made from a 33-34 center saddle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Chris,

Is the boxing plate needed or does the F1 crossmember stiffen the frame enough?

Are those model A bones?

I have only done this on my AV8 Coupe with the Tardel K-member and '32 Pedals and '32 bones but that was years ago when they were not so pricey.

24. You could probably cut and trim the crossmember to fit inside the rails but the was way easier. Stiffened the frame up ALOT as well!

The wishbone is 33/34, Loudpedal used A bones on his and made a neat little bracket to attach the wishbone. Remember A wishbones are short, the ball would be right under the bellhousing!

25. I have too man...time to get er on the road!!!

26. Chuck Most

Chuck Most
    from Saskatoon

27. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I really like the way it sits.. Keep us posted as you go..

28. is it done yet ;-)

29. Nope, looking about the same. I have gotten a lot of little things done and building an engine for it right now. I took a break to get a V8 in my 33 pickup and thats done so now I can devote a little more time to this thing :D

[​IMG]

30. hasty

hasty