Register now to get rid of these ads!

8 inch ford brake question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lonestarentertainment, Oct 3, 2010.

1. ok, while running over things to do on the 36 today, i pulled the rear wheels off and dammmm it if the thing didnt have any rear drums, hardware or shoes back there......

ive never really messed with rearends much, always just bought a rearend outta a donor car and made due with what was there.. also by doing it this way i could walk into the FLAPS and buy whatever i needed based on what it came out of............... so my question, how do i find out what size drums i need as well as what size shoes to get

supposably it is an 8 inch ford rear...... i do know for certain it is a ford rearend by looking at it but other than that im in the dark

any help would be greatly appreciated

2. please post some pitures so we can try to give u your ansers

3. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

X2, need to see it. Most 8" had 10" brakes....

4. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

try 1982 ford f150 light duty drums ,they look a little different but they work on the later maveric rears....

5. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Its very simple to adapt the big 9" brakes to an 8" with a simple homemade adaptor ring

6. 65COMET

65COMET

Small bearing 9" brakes are the same as 8" brakes,been there,done that. ROY.

7. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

the 8" rears went in the early Mustangs into the early 70's in the Mustangs and Mavericks . The backing plates it what you need to find . Brake drums you can get at any auto supply shop . Most were 10" x 2-1/2" up to 2-3/4" . I would find some backing plates and get the widest drums you can but then get shoes for them . The wheel cylinders are the same ans so were the spring kits .
    Hope this helps some .

Retro Jim

8. Drums/shoes must match the backing plates. Early Mustangs used a 10" x 1 3/4" shoe.:)
    (If you can find a 9" in an old flat nose Econoline, the brakes will bolt on small bearing ford rears AND give you 10" x 2.5" rears)