Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs History of the Custom display ~ GNRS ~ OFFICIAL thread info & photo's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, Oct 1, 2010.

1. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Richard Graves 57 Nomad - as recently seen in Rodders Journal

Attached Files:

2. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Allan Clarks 66 Buick - built by Barris

Attached Files:

3. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Steve Gonzales' 51 Merc - inspired by all the early customs - this car made the cover of Street Rodder in 1977. Steve told me that he and his father contacted Bob Hirohata,went to Bob's house where steve was given a pair of n.o.s Appletons! car was driven to high school every day back then ,has sat outside in the elements, but its being restored in time for January.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  4. axle

axle
    from Drag City

The Stardust Merc. In my humble opinion the car looks better now than it ever did in the 80's. Brizio restored.

Attached Files:

5. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Paul Bragg's sectioned shoebox

Attached Files:

6. axle

axle
    from Drag City

One of my all time favorite cars from the Jimmie Vaughan collection - 54 Vicky originally built by the Bruns - then redone by Gary Howard. Jimmie recently told me that a "Full House" tripled carbed Y-Block T~Bird engine is going in the Vicky in time for the GNRS.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  7. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Lee Pratt's shoebox. Car will have an all newly detailed Nailhead in the car! Texas is "representin" !

Attached Files:

8. WOW! What are the dates?

9. axle

axle
    from Drag City

"The last Dick Dean chop" ~The Jeff Neppl Merc ~ Dick and Keith Dean built this car, and not just saying this because he's my pal (and knows all the words to Goodfella's) but for a guy his age to build something so accurate - i think its one of the top authentic customs built in the 21st century . Not long ago Keith Dean installed an early 331 Cadillac engine in the car that Jimmy White from Circle City Hot Rods recently took over and is doing a lot of fabrication,wiring, and final assembly. Car will be running shortly - just in time for this Merc to re debut in January !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  10. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Another younger guy that is heavily involved in period correct customs is Brad Masterson - for those that don't know has his custom shop at the old Barris shop on Atlantic Blvd. in Lynwood. This chopped 50 Chevy fastback with 54 Pontiac grille was done all in lead with help of Bill Hines. car will have completed new Tuck & Roll for January!

Attached Files:

11. axle

axle
    from Drag City

The following are cars that i am currently working on getting but are not 100% confirmed.

The El Matador - owned by Harold Murphy of Loxahatchee Florida

The Copperhead - owned by Billy Gibbons

The Peter Stengel CoachCraft built 1941 Mercury - owned by Herb Wetson of Long Island , New York.

Attached Files:

12. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Guys, thanks for your patience . This concludes cars that are confirmed or cars we are currently working on. Again, we welcome your suggestions. Axle

13. John Denich

John Denich

WOW what a great line up......can't wait! we are truly reliving the hayday of Kustoms! Thanks for all the hard work!

John

14. brad2v

brad2v

Cool! Just booked my flight. Nor tryin' to hi-jack, but I've never been before, any suggestions on accomodation in the area?

15. Cool! ... yet another "Not To Be Missed" event.

Thanks to axle, Jcbuck, JeffSled, & Rikster for all their efforts in putting this historic display together ... and to all the builders/owners of these historic Customs for sharing them with us!

16. yes dates please?

17. And dates?

18. Jan 28-30, 2011

19. Wow! what an amazing line up of customs so far. It looks like it's going to be be a show that's too good to miss.

20. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I got this merc on e-bay with a second chance offer.It was in a storage facility in San Diego next to General Dynamics since 1968.I put a thread on the HAMB wondering if anybody knew the history of the car and 00MACK remembered it from Carcraft July 1957 and the 35 Anniversary of Carcraft in 1983.There is also a front end shot of it in Carcraft January 1957.Phil Sauer owned the car originally.It had a 53 Flathead,appletons,bumper guard taillights,tuck-n -roll interior,55 desoto grill,flow through exhaust through the bumpers and was lowered 8 inches.I think the car was built around 1956.In car craft 1983 it said the car was wrecked and the owner spent $3,000 to build the car.Phil used to call the car "OL Shasta".Around 1959 the car was sold to Bejamin Abrenillo.Sometime in the 60's a 331 Chrysler 300 hemi was installed and 64 Rivi taillights.The bumper guard taillights and the flow through exhaust disappeared.Benjamin Abrenillo passed away on 7-31-2005 and the owners of the storage did a lien sale on it.It was going to be a father and son project.They lost interest in it,thats when I found it on ebay in 2008.I still don't know who built it?

21. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Wow thats an awesome line up so far,,

22. Wow, the Night Train is a car I've always wanted to see...

This looks like it's gonna be a GREAT show. I'm in for sure.

23. ckustoms

ckustoms

sounds like a great show, maybe i can get johnnie walker out of gunnison and make a road trip...dave

24. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

Great stuff for sure!

25. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Wupps, Forgot , Other cars that are either confirmed or we're currently working out the details.

Chuck Porter shop truck - Caddy Mill full custom. My family friend Ed Mueller who owns Muellers Muscle Cars in San Bernardino - owned this truck back in 92/93 when it was red with flames. I worked part time there and drove that truck before it sold. Yruck was very fast and it is now in the hands of Chuck Porters daughter - Debby . Truck is being restored and we hope its done in time.

Dave Cunningham - Barris Built 40 Ford sedan

Joe Wilhelm 57 Chrysler - as seen on the cover of Andy Southards book

Attached Files:

26. For Valley Customs people, contact [email protected]<SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript> <!-- document.write( '<span style=\'display: none;\'>' ); //--> </SCRIPT> Neil Emory's grandson.

What about the Merc of Terry Hegman? Well worthy

27. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Attached Files:

28. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Joe Perez in Pasadena did upholstery for Roth, Barris many customs in the So Cal area.....you might want to invite him.

29. John Denich

John Denich

How about Dick "peep" Jackson, JR Conway, Tom Kelly and Jay Johnson as part of the meet and greet also!

30. You have to include Cole Foster build of the 36 3 window and TimeBomb "John 36 vert for the newer cars that were built. To me that is what connect Westguard to the 21st century.