Register now to get rid of these ads!

left foot accelerator-help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by larry woods, Oct 1, 2010.

1. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

i have a friend who is suffering from post polio syndrome. his right leg has atrophied to point he drives cross legged. at one time i know there was a bracket which bolted to accelerator pedal and had a pedal which allowed it to move to left side. i have searched suppliers and can't find one. anybody out there if and where i might find one? thanx! larry

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Try one of those medical supply places, or just relocate the pedal permanently

3. Troyz

Troyz

that should be easy enough to fab up if you can't just buy a new throttle cable and relocate the pedal to where he needs it.

4. RAY With

RAY With

Several ways to go. Hydraulic assy (speedway motors) or fabricate one using a couple of 1/4 heim joints mounted on the firewall and a cross rod from left to right. Either way should be way cheaper than a specialty store.

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Im with Troyz ..Fab it up.

6. aaggie

aaggie

I think the type of bracket he was thinking of that would move it to the left side used to be in the J.C. Whitney catalog. They advertised it as a way to relieve your stress on long trips. It looked like a steel rod that clipped over the existing pedal and extended to another pedal on the left side.

7. redtracker

redtracker

8. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

My Great Uncle was a Polio victim. He made his own left foot gas pedal setup. It was a rod bent into a wide U shape. The left side had a pedal and the right side just pushed on the regular pedal. It bolted to the floor where the floor bent up towards the firewall. He put that very same assembly in every car he owned. Worked great.

9. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

Thanx for the input. "aagie" was right on as to what i had in mind. someone has to have one out there some place. as to "fabricating" one my friend wouldn't accept any "real" changes to his car. in fact, i had to find a manufactured kit for his golf cart. some times he can be ultra anal!!!! again i appreciated all the info. larry