Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead starter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ozzie jock, Sep 30, 2010.

1. ozzie jock

ozzie jock

G'day. Got a bit of a techo.I'm using an adaptor and spacer with a 302 bellhousing onto an 8BA Flatty which enables me to use the starter from the 302. What I would like to know is:-
    1 Will the later model starter bendix gear mesh happily with the 8BA flywheel ring gear
    2 If not, is there a solution? Like change ring gear or sumthin'?
    3 Or do I hafta stick with the old Flatty starter?:confused:
    Hope one of you guru's can help
    Ozzie Jock

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Don't know about adapting the starter you mentioned but the Flatty starter will live happily on 12 volts. My '48 8N Ford tractor has been started on 12 volts for over 30 years and still going strong. It might need a rebuild but that can be handled by any starter service.

Frank

3. ozzie jock

ozzie jock

G'day Frank
    thanx for the reply but the info I need is, will a 75 Mustang starter work with Flatty ring gear
    regards
    ozzie jock

4. garysgun

garysgun

First check the gear teeth if they will mesh then see if they align correctly. You may have to move the starter location around a bit. If it does not work get an old flathead starter and run it on 12 volts like Frank said. If there is a will there is a way.

5. lionsgarage

lionsgarage
    from Washington

Not that it makes a lot of difference but the slightly pointed side of the original flatty ring gear teeth point back, if you use the front loading starter drive (ie modern or gear reduction type) you need to flip the ring gear over for better mesh and less filings in the bell housing later.

6. garysgun

garysgun

Good one lionsgarage!! I gave it no thought about the engagement being backwards.
    There seems like an easier way to go??

7. ozzie jock

ozzie jock

Goodonyer fellas. I'm working on it.