Register now to get rid of these ads!

34 Ford Motorcycle engine Go Kart build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John T., Jul 4, 2010.

1. John T.

John T.

I wasn't sure when I started this project if it was HAMB freindly, Well I bought this body at the Gasser reunion this weekend so I think it qualifies.:)

My Hotrod is done and I needed a new project, A buddy gave me a 650 Honda Nighthawk, motor makes 63 HP. So I decided to build a go cart with it. I have been gathering the parts for about a week, I should start bending some tubing and welding next week. I have everthing figured out how to make it all work, now I just need to do it.

This thing should fly when it is done....

Attached Files:

2. firingorder1

firingorder1

Too cool John! Many years ago I got a bee where the sun don't shine and built a kart with an XS650 Yamaha for power. It flew!! And so will yours! The big difference is yours will look so much cooler!

[​IMG][/IMG]

3. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

You should have fun with that.
    I put a Harley 45 engine in a Cushman Eagle motor scooter one time. That was fun to ride.

4. John T.

John T.

Yours looks like it was out of Mad Max, pretty wicked. I wish this was a bigger budget build. I would have loved to use a panhead or something. I put some feelers out for an airplane engine when before I started but coudn't come up with anything cheap.

Here is a link to bunch of pics of it:

http://s718.photobucket.com/albums/... A Ford/1934 Go Kart Motorcycle Engine Build/

Below are a few just hooking up the drive line and clutch pedal. My welding is getting a lot better. I really needed a project like this to get practice welding & fabricating.

Attached Files:

5. MODELA30

MODELA30

This is a tetanus shot waiting to happen!!!!! Knuck from indiana.

6. John T.

John T.

Hello,
    I haven't updated in a while, I'm going to be able to go for a ride soon so I thought I would do an update.

I had the motor running with the stock carbs, not perfect but running. I tore them off and got an Eaton M60 Supercharger & Harley Carburator to boost the performance. Tonight was the first night to try and fire the thing but I didn't have much luck. I only messed with it about 15 minutes, this weekend I would think I should have it running.

You can bet when I get it running I will get some good video, The thing should make 100hp?? and with a six speed it should run. It doesn't look like I'm going to make Maxton this year though... :)

Here is a link to the build:

http://s718.photobucket.com/albums/... A Ford/1934 Go Kart Motorcycle Engine Build/

Attached Files:

7. Bloodandmotoroil

Bloodandmotoroil
    BANNED

8. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

I like the way you think..kool project

9. John T.

John T.

Thanks guys, As bad as I would love to build another car, it's just not in the cards right now. But when I do......

10. John T.

John T.

11. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Looks like it need taller gears. Where is the clutch? mine has a lever ubder the steering wheel for the clutch.

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Those are pretty cool; just don't let your life or health insurance agent know what you're up to. Second to the tetanus shot. Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. firingorder1

firingorder1

Cool vid. Nice and twitchy. Just the way it should be.

14. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

that looks like fun

15. Racrdad

Racrdad

Looks like a fun and fast project. Also looks like a trip to the emergency room in the wrong hands. :D

16. John T.

John T.

Thanks guys,

About the gears. I was unsure when I set the rearend up, I had to turn the motor backwrads and run the Diff. upside down to get the axle were I wanted it in relation to the motor. When doing that I had to put a sprocket on the motor and one on the driveshaft. I slowed the gearing down another 1-4. In addition to that the rear slicks are 18" tall and the old motorcycle tire was 26" tall.

So yes the gearing is down, as she sits I think 80+ will be easy, once the supercharger is hooked up maybe 100+. I'm brave but I think that is fast enough for me in that thing. :)

17. John T.

John T.

The Hank,

Oh, The clutch is the left pedal, shifter and brake are my right hand.

What is yours?

Oh yes, The cops were at my house today. That was like my third test run.

18. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

I have a Honda 125cc 2 stroke ,will do 90 ish [ racing kart] depending on the geearing. Lots less frame on my kart and much lighter.It looked like your setup wants to understeer [ push] is that for like drag racing?
    You should check out youtube for some crazy karts.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSmxaORvBQI

When your done it would think you should get well over 100 mph.
    My shifter is on the coloum and the clutch is just under my steering wheel,I can shift and use the clutch w/o letting go of the wheel.Four wheel disc breaks .If I'M you I move that break to the floor like a car,your going to need them for sure:)

Racing karts are a blast , 3 g's in the turns , 6 gears and eye popping stopping.You get exhosted driving them in short order.
    Have a blast and be safe.

19. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

where can i get some life insurance in your name?