Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone with a 51-52 ford F1, I have a Question??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SMOKINFLATHEAD, Sep 24, 2010.

1. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

Well, my truck did not have rear fender reinforcement braces on it when I bought it. I ordered them from the catalog and when I tried to install them. Well....... They don't reach the frame, and there seems to be no where to attach them to the truck. There are holes in the fender. Please send a pic, or let me know what I'm missing. Thank you. Jay

2. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

I don't recall fender braces on any of the same year f1s that I've worked on. Do you have pics? A link to the catalog that you got them from? Aren't some of the braces offered in the catalogs for repop fiberglass fenders, so that they don't flap in the wind?

Are the holes in the fender on the leading or trailing edge?

3. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

The rear fender should have braces running from just behind the wheel opening to the side of the box.

4. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

So, There are two holes, and if I use the top one, I could drill a hole in the side of the bed. But the bottom one has a reinforcement piece behind the fender making me think it is there for a reason. Yes, it is just behind the wheel well on the rear.
    [​IMG]

5. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

This is the brace. The pictures of me holding it in place won't load. Tried a few times, two different pic's. No, luck. (I'll try again)
    [​IMG]

6. limp

limp

not sure what other hole would be for but lower one is for brace. it attaches to side of box, mine are just home made flatbar because originals were beyond repair. good luck

mike

7. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

Here I am holding it to the lower hole, and as you can see it is below everything in the area.
    [​IMG]

8. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

Here I am holding it to the upper hole and It will butt against the bed side. There is no hole in the bed side for it. If need be I will drill one, but I would think it should be bolted to the lower hole since it has a reinforcement plate.
    [​IMG]

9. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

It bolts to the botom of the bed wood 2nd carriage bolt forward from rear it in line with your fender hole that bracket is wrong turn it over attach to the bolt try to bend to fit. Lower hole on fender.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  10. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

Sounds better, Can you post a picture? Thank you. I just don't get the turn it over part. Thank you.

11. HD74

HD74

Here's a pix.[​IMG]

12. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Did your truck have a rear bumper on it? I would guess there might have been a rear bumper that wrapped around and bolted to the fenders. That might be the reason for the second hole.

13. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

On my 49 pickup project and my 50 F1 parts truck ... the fender brace fits like you show.

[​IMG]

But in the lower hole. It is dark ( midnight ) but I will try to take a photo of my 50 parts truck on Saturday ... the fender is off and the hole will be easily seen.

:)

14. BHT8BALL

BHT8BALL

My stock '50 has the brace mounted with the short end up, my fender only has one hole where your lower one is. The upper goes thru the side of the bed and probably thru the frame. I didn't want to disturb the black widows so I didn't climb under it. I'll be braver in the morning. Pat

15. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

Here's a pic off Ford Forum on a homemade brace for glass fenders. Look simple and good looking.

Attached Files:

16. fatman1

fatman1
    from hiram ohio

heres a pic i took of mine, sorry about cell phone pic. also the short side of the bracket goes on towards the frame and the long on the fender. hope this helps

Attached Files:

17. henrys_way

henrys_way
    from Maine

Hey what catalog did you order them from? I tried ording them from Sac Vintage Ford, but they were on Backorder. I guess I could make them in a pinch.

18. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

John's F Funhundreds. They are $15.00 each. I'm sure I could have made them also, but I didn't know how they were to attach. Now seeing that I have them in hand and still couldn't figure it out, I'm glad I bought them.