Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's see your tunnel rams!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jay.S, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuces

Deuces

I know they almost look the same but a hell of lot cheaper..... New GM complete assemblies carry an $8000.00 price tag... Yikes! :( The Offy intake set alone is about 400 bucks.... Last time I checked from P.A.W. I hope Offy is still casting those intakes......

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've got a polished Holley Pro Dominator sitting in the garage to put on my 327 when it goes into the Austin gasser projeect. This is the one that has the dual Holleys sitting at an angle to the engine. Not sure how it will work yet, but once I get the linkage sorted out it should look great even if it doesn't go! ;)

3. rickman454

rickman454
    from Marion, IA

4. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I don't know anyone who has tested them... if you have access to a flow bench, that would answer the question.
    Going strictly by the theory that they super-ceded one for the other would lead me to believe that the later Weiand and Edelbrocks will perform better.

That being said, my engine was a compromise between form and function. It was important to me to build an engine that LOOKED like what you'd see on the strip in the '60s and early '70s--double hump heads and a tunnel ram with an oil fill tube. In fact, I scored a brand new, never run later Edelbrock tunnel ram for $75, and ended up selling it with some core carbs so I could get an Edelbrock with the fill tube.

I based my engine on a 283 to see if I could bust 400hp.

If I'd have looked at it from a true performance perspective, rather than trying to maximize obsolete parts and technology, I'd have built a bigger-inch engine with modern heads, and a newer tunnel ram, or maybe even a single-plane 1x4 intake.

May or may not answer your question, but that's why I used the intake I did.

-Brad

5. lorodz

lorodz

just got my single tunnel ram ..hopefully will be on this week end ...

6. Deuces

Deuces

7. 65 Imp SS

65 Imp SS
    from central mn

Here is mine
    [​IMG]

One thing I have found tunnel rams like alot of initial timing Somewhere between 15-20 deg. As for intakes street bound there are articles that recommend long runners with smaller ports to keep velocity up. I chose to run the carbs sideways, with that the linkage takes a little time to set it up compared to inline carbs.

8. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I dig the cherry Cal Custom BBC valvecovers!!

9. BBMan

BBMan

427, 660 x 2

Attached Files:

10. truckjunky24

truckjunky24

old school look! two 450 mec.

Attached Files:

11. Thanks for the kind words fiveohnick2932, and truckjunky24, how well do those carbs work and what engine are they running on, just curious for a street car.

12. brucer

brucer
    from western ky

going in my T

Attached Files:

13. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

My brother's coupe.

Attached Files:

14. Heres a pic of my '30, I miss her so bad, but she long gone now...

Attached Files:

15. 32ratsass

32ratsass

In addition to this, your brother has a "sick" mind!!!! I LOVE IT!!!:D

16. lorodz

lorodz

just finished putting my new single tunnel ram on the small block fired it up and wow what a diffrance it made compared to a dual tunnel ram i had 2 750 edelbrocks on the small block so im shure it was running shitty cause all the carburation on it ..so i swapped out to a single tunnel ram with a 600 holley this thing runs great sounds way better not fowling plugs have not drivin it yet have to finish the throttle linkage tomorrow and ill post pictures ...

17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Ya, low vac. signal the old way. Shouldn't be such a dog at take off anymore.

18. Mine from the 80's.

[​IMG]

19. the-lowrider

the-lowrider

Thats mine:

Attached Files:

20. My '63 Tempest. It's a Street car...turns 11 teens at the Drags...

Attached Files:

21. Kick ass Poncho! What make is that tunnel ram? I have not seen that one and I was really in to Pontiacs 30 years ago, I would have killed for that! 11 teens huh? Man that is one fast Injun!

22. Deuces

Deuces

Here's a factory SD 421 setup.......

Attached Files:

23. thegrappler

thegrappler

24. my contribution...

Attached Files:

25. Dave50

Dave50

Heres a 427 going in a 55 chevy with tunnell ram

Attached Files:

26. This question is not meant to be an insult. I am really interested in knowing.

Why bother with a tunnel ram at all if you are just going to run a single?

27. OLDGUARD - That's a Wentzler. We Dynoed a Pontiac Tunnel (RARE) when we Dynoed the engine, for comparison. Both Dynoed about the same...

28. The new Edelbrock Street Ram (#7110) works great, I've installed them on friends cars using two Holley 450's and with two Holley 750 HP's. The one was set-up on a 350, Dart Iron Eagle heads, 10.2 -1 compression with two 450's and it ran fantastic in all weather, my buddy drove it year round here in the Maryland area and it had great throttle reponce, plenty of power and didn't do to bad on gas either. The other was on a 383, 12.7 - 1 compression, ARF 210 aluminum heads with two 750 HP's. He drove it on weekends and raced it on a regular basis, it was over a tenth of a second quicker in the quarter (best of a 9.91 with the single 4 and ended up with a best of 9.77 with the tunnel ram).

. . . it looks really nice too :D

29. Mr Nascar

Mr Nascar
    from Daytona

Very nice work going on there.Good Luck with it.

30. Mr Nascar

Mr Nascar
    from Daytona

Very nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.