Register now to get rid of these ads!

'40-'41 Plymouth Coupe parts question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coupe Crazy, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Coupe Crazy

Coupe Crazy
    from LI, NY

Does anybody know what parts are not readily available new for '40-'41 Plymouth business coupes? The parts that I would be concerned about are body panels, trim/molding pieces, and dash pieces. I have been looking at a lot of these coupes recently and if I had the answer to this question it certainly would make my project selection easier. This may sound like a dorky, generic question, and it probably is, but any help anybody could provide would be greatly appreciated. I have only found a couple parts suppliers on the web. There has to be more out there.

Jason

2. 41plym

41plym

Tons of parts out there if you look hard enough. Even a few guys making replacement and patch panels now days.
    41plym

3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's easy. None of those parts are"readily" available. You can search and search to find them.

Buy as complete a car as you can find. If not, buy a parts car that has all you need. It's worth the extra money to find a solid, complete car to start with.

4. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Nobody repops much for 40's mopars. Floor panels, some rockers, mechanical parts are available. Body parts trim, interior trim, bumpers, are swap meet ebay or other mopar afficiandos sourced, Some junkyards have stuff but it ain't cheap or easy.

The Plymouth Owners Club website has a classified section that is on line. Stuff in hemmings also

P15 - D24 site also has classifieds with earlier 40's stuff on pccasionally.

Some here also

http://plymouthbulletin.com/smf/index.php?board=5.0

5. farmer12

farmer12

What Rock said is correct. (and then blow all budgets by installing hemi's, etc....)

6. Squablow

Squablow

Don't buy a coupe without a trunk lid. You'll pay out the nose for a replacement. I was offered $800 for the one off of my '41 because it was real clean, but couldn't sell it since it would ruin the car. Sold the car, came across another trunklid which was rusty but still fixable. I think I got $350 for that one, and the guy drove across several states to get it.

Dash shit will be easy to find since it's all the same as a 4 door and there are plenty of those around for parts.

7. Ha as the case with me. Ive been scouring the country for a trunk lid and now have finally found one.

Jason, did you end up getting a coupe ?

8. Oh, and ive ordered from Lindsay and fatfendered relics and both were great to deal and they dont kill you too bad on price. Their pretty much the main two-

9. Coupe Crazy

Coupe Crazy
    from LI, NY

Jason

Nope...still looking for the "right" one.

10. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's a nice one listed in the classifieds. It's already mostly complete, however. I noubt you cab build it for what he wants for it.

11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Body parts are readily available as long as you're good at turning 20 ga and 18 ga sheet metal into parts. :D

I just spent the weekend working on the floor of my trunk. Without sheet metal tools and skills, I'd be out of luck.