Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rustem, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Help me! I live in Russia. I have Chevy 210 54 years of 6 cylinders and manual transmission. I want to change the engine and transmission and to establish V8 350 and an automatic transmission 350. At me a question to you. I can't buy in Russia new rear axel. I can leave old rear axel and change only one differential? If it can be made what differential to me to establish? You know about it? I badly speak on English and I communicate with the help of the electronic translator. If you answer write please not difficult phrases. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  2. are you asking if you can change the rear axle in it ?

or are you asking if the axle thats in it now will work with the new engine and trans?

3. I ask, what it is necessary to make with old rear axle, what it would work with the new engine? I can't replace rear axle. I need to change inside its differential. To change gears. The number of transmission at me is calculated for manual drive. I custom can use or buy a reverse gear for an old shaft. I know, when change the motor establish new rear axle or establish rear axle from cars made later. I don't have possibility to change rear axle. I can buy in the USA interiors for rear axle. What I need to buy interiors and where?

4. shortbed65

shortbed65
    from ne Ill

I think Rustem is converting to an open drive-shaft from the old torque tube

5. Hi! Who knows sites where about it is written? Or who did it?
    Thank you very much!

6. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

you need new rear end.
    these will work, i think you need 60'' wide

* 55-57 Chevy Cars.
    * 68-72 Nova
    * 70-81 camaro

7. billygoat67

billygoat67

hi you will have to remove the whole rear axle and replace it with a axle that has a driveshaft that is seperate from the axle. your car has a inclosed driveshaft and will not work with the 350 transmission.
    you will need a rear axle that accepts a open drive shaft. check your overall width and find one the same width or very close, i used a 76 chevy camaro rear axle it is very close th the same width. but chevy nova ,camaro,and even impala are the same width i believe.
    and you will have to mount the rear axle on your 54 chevy solid because they are originally mounted in a rubber mount that pivots with the enclosed drive shaft.
    hope that helps.

8. This is a good answer to your question.

If you cannot find in Russia talk to the Swedish men from the HAMB maybe they can help you.

9. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

In Russia, you should be able to find 1982 to 1999 chevy S10 truck 4 wheel drive. This whole rear end should work.

10. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

hi rustem! Are you saying you can't change the rear axle because of the law in russia?

11. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

late 1980's Volvo 8.8 inch rear axle might be more available.

12. Thanks friends that have heard my problem! I answer all! I will search for a shaft from the auto truck s-10 or volvo 8.8 inches. In Russia few the American cars of 80-90 years. And it is difficult to find a rear axle. I will search. I thought that it is possible to leave the case of a rear axle and to change interiors. Has understood that it not to make. I will search for a modern shaft. Has understood that she needs to be adapted for fastening of rear springs, it not a problem. With laws on replacement rear a shaft in Russia all is normal! Once again thanks for council!!!