Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there any use for 3rd gen (trans am) front end parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nailhead65, Sep 19, 2010.

1. nailhead65

nailhead65

I just drug an 85 Trans Am out of someone's yard and it is a pretty low mileage. I know the posi 10 bolt with disc is pretty desirable but what about the front end parts? I know you can't use the setup the way it was intended in the 3rd gen car because of the struts but is there any other use for it? I'd hate to just leave it on the car when it goes to the scrapyard and find out later that I could have used something. I'm cheap/broke/etc so I like to keep every last part that I think I can use.

2. Strip it and sell the parts to a third gen guy, they have no use on a traditional hot rod. Are you sure the rear is a 10 bolt, not the Austrailian 9 bolt? Most of the disc rear ends were, and they break easy.

3. nailhead65

nailhead65

Yeah....that's what I thought. I don't even know if it's worth taking the time to strip the front end then. I'm sure the stock parts aren't worth too much.

Good question on the rear, I'm not sure. I was just assuming it was a 10 bolt. I'll have to figure it out once I get it out of the car.

4. How bad is it? They are fun cars for what they are, I had an '89 Formula 350 with several bolt-ons, it was a blast to drive. Main problem was traction, it would just smoke the tires anywhere under 20 mph. I never broke the rear end, but was told many times if I put sticky tires on it, it was sure to break.

5. nailhead65

nailhead65

The car is shot. I don't bother with newer American cars. If i want something to go fast I'll hop in one of the German cars. I do like burnouts though....

But seriously, the car is too far gone to bring it back to life.

6. The rear ought to be a 8.5" standard GM design.

The front rotors are the same as S-10, so there MAY be the (gasp) frame swapper that would like them or other brake parts.

7. nailhead65

nailhead65

I did a little more research today and found out that it's not the 8.5" rear end. It's actually a smaller, crappier rear end that doesn't hold up when you put a good amount of power to it. There are parts available for it in the aftermarket though. I think we're just going to see if we can dump the car as a whole or just sell some of the parts off of it and scrap the rest. I wish it were a second generation because I'd be using it to clip a 51 Chevy that I'm doing for a customer.

Thanks for the input guys.

8. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

The 700r4 would be a good item.

9. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

The 2nd-gen Firebirds had the strong 8.5" 10-bolts, the 3rd-gens had the weak 7.5" or 7.625" rears.

10. nailhead65

nailhead65

Yeah....we're probably going to pull the rear and trans but I think the motor is stuck from water getting into it. I'm not sure how desirable a 305 TPI is anyway. I know I wouldn't use it.

11. mikeco

mikeco
    from virginia

If the headlights work hang on to them they are hard to find & as far as I know,no one reproduces them. When you find them they are $$.

12. This might help ya make a few bucks
    http://tpiparts.net/305_tpi_to_350_tpi_conversion

13. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

Lots of misinformation here (thats ok, this is a traditional hot rod board); I'll see if I can straighten it out.

The front suspension parts will work on any 82-92 F-body, but that is about it. The front brakes are nothing special , and even the rear discs, if original, have the extremely heavy, poorly designed Delco cast iron calipers. Some third gen guy with drums may want them, but its not going to bring much $. Even the later rears, or even the 4th gen style, typically only bring about $350 in good used condition. Very few of these early 3rd gen disc rears had posi. The 9-bolt Australian rears are preferred to the 7.5, since they are slightly stronger, but parts are more expensive and harder to find.The rear suspension pieces interchange with 4th gen, but other than maybe the rear swaybar, are pretty much worthless.

The TPI would be the early MAF-based unit (not as desireable), but if everything is there (comp, wiring, maf, etc) you may get a couple bills for it. At least it will have the early SBC bolt pattern so it would go on any smallblock. The early Th700R4s aren't as strong as the later ones, but would be ok for a mild engine. The headlights maye be worth saving if the motors work, but again we're not talking a lot of money. Repair kits are available, and that is what most TA guys use.

You didn't mention it, but if it has a good console,overhead console or a good dash pad, those items are worth saving.

If you have any other questions, PM me, I'm pretty familiar with these cars.

14. nailhead65

nailhead65

We were hoping the the TPI setup would be there and salvageable but unfortunately someone smashed the intake with a hammer and cut part of the wiring harness out so that's pretty much junk. I'm not sure if the headlight motors are good but the headlights themselves are in pretty good shape. The dash pad does not have one crack in it so we're saving that and the gauges are all good and it has the factory tach. We're going to try and just dump the whole car for around $400 just to get it out of the way at the garage and try to make a little more than scrap price out of it while allowing it to go to somewhat of a good use.

Thanks again for all the info guys.