Register now to get rid of these ads!

Please help ID this

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by glssrn, Sep 20, 2010.

1. glssrn

glssrn
    from SW Iowa

Went to a garage sale this weekend and bought this pickup cab. I need help from the HAMBers. Just what did I buy?

Attached Files:

2. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Someone here will know. The firewall is real distinctive with the big "X" right through the middle. That should give it away.

3. glssrn

glssrn
    from SW Iowa

The 38 has the three ribs around the cab but does the windsheild curve up over the firewall? I searched for one that had the gas door and didnt see one. The firewall is flat with one big x on the face of it. I set a 39 ford pickup door in the door opening and the door was about 2 inches to narrow. Is the 38 different body than a 39?

4. Chuck Most

Chuck Most
    from Saskatoon

The door looks like a Ford- but the cab looks to be a Dodge. Yeah, that big X on the firewall would be a dead giveaway, but it's been such a long time since I've poked around under the hood of a late '30's early '40's Dodge truck I just don't remember.

5. Chuck Most

Chuck Most
    from Saskatoon

On the other hand- the character lines in the cab are making me think Ford.

6. I've looked at lots of pickups over the last 50 years, and I can't ever remember seeing a Ford, Chevy or Dodge with a hinged gas door like the one pictured. i'd start checking out the smaller manufactureres, maybe even a B-61 Mack.

7. thats not a 38'-39' ford as the firewall is wrong and they dont have gas filler door!

8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Looks like a Federal I had for a while ...

9. I've owned a '38 Ford pickup for 44 years, '38 and '39 are essentially the same (a few minor differences), so I know it's not a '38-'39 Ford. I agree that it's from some sort of big truck, I was actually thinking a B series Mack before somebody else suggested it. It would make the beginnings of a good hot rod project, though, whatever it is.

10. skidsteer

skidsteer

Early 40's Mack.

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Since it's been chopped the gas tank door could be custom also. Fords went to a slit glass w/s in 37. I believe the Chevy/GMC started in 39.

[​IMG]

It does look like this 1940 Mack. The W/S frame looks like 35-36 Ford on both of them.

12. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

damn if i know. Let us know when ya find out .
    leaning to mack though.
    "big

13. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Amazing all the "CAR GUYS" calling that Rig a Ford.....

There was a guy close to me that had the same cab, Actually it was the same color and Everything... I would say its the same cab if yours wasent in Iowa.

I think we determined his was a '46 MACK, The MFG Date was written Inside on the Roof with a Grease Crayon.

THe Firewall & Gas Door were the main Tip Off but when we found the pic on the Computer all the Body Lines, Cowl angle, Firewall, ETC were the same.

Been awhile but i believe it was a '40s MACK

14. The dash reminded me of a 38 Ford cab laying in the bush near here.....

15. here is a 39 ED Mack...looks the same :p

Attached Files:

16. chilly1

chilly1
    from Tacoma,Wa

Attached Files: