Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do you have an exit plan?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gearguy, Sep 18, 2010.

1. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

plan a- cremation & ran through a douche bag one more time .
    plan b- my ole lady can trade my shit for sex when she needs it.( ya know ...screw her out of it )

2. RichG

RichG

Wow. I've never seen a paragraph so chock full of things I completely disagree with, and I signed my name on the dotted line where the guy in uniform showed me to...:rolleyes:

It's stuff. It was stuff before I had it, it will be stuff after I'm gone. Whatever stuff is important enough to me to give to others, well, I've already done that. Everything else is just filler, it gives me enjoyment while I'm alive, but it's pretty much meaningless other than that.:cool:

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree and compassion is something that was kicked out of me a LONG time ago!
    Not everyone has had the same type of life that a soldier leads. They still think the 'stuff' is what its all about.

Doc.

4. Gota go to a new post, I find this somewhat depressing.

5. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Someone told me once they sold their soul to the devil and had a great time doing it, he must have a over stock cause he ain't returing my calls. My neighbor died and he had all these letters to all these womens he had sugared up with over the years, all in books and magazines, well the dumb ass had also shares of coke, stewart warner, boeing from the 50"s all in these magazines with these honey I love you letters, we went through these and tried not to let the old gal see them. I say this boys, don't save that crap. I was broke up over what a slimmy old pig this boy was.

6. RichG

RichG

You know the score Doc, no doubt about that.

7. aaggie

aaggie

I used to see a red Mercedes SL running around town with a bumper sticker that said "If I can't take it with me I'm not going".

8. Diavolo

Diavolo

They can burn my stuff to the ground when I go. As for me: cremate me, mix me with potting soil, plant weed in it and smoke me for all I care...

9. GTS225

GTS225

I seem to recall seeing a tag line attached to somebody else on this board that went something like; "Seems to me that the man who dies with nothing to his name, and without a penny in his pocket, has worked it out just about right."

Just something to consider..........Roger

10. I've told my wife essentially what several of you have - there is NOTHING in my shop that "belongs" to any one but my wife and kids, and I have promised absolutely NOTHING to anyone but my wife and kids upon my passing. This is also in writing, as well.

My wife would likely keep my '66, since I've owned that over 30 years now. My boys will sort through my other stuff and keep what they want, and sell the rest. All of my parts boxes are labeled with what the parts go to, plus it's all inventoried on disc, so she knows exactly what I have and what it should bring at an auction. I trust no one to "help" my family in these matters. Far too many opportunistic douchebags out there that are more than willing to "help" a grieving family out of what they have.

Plus, I will haunt that person (or persons) that try that shit for all eternity. That's a promise.

As an aside, one of the many elderly gentlemen that were in a car club I was in several years ago, passed away a year after his wife. He was an amazing man, traveled the world, and had a HUGE knowledge of Hudson cars. One of the people that showed up for his funeral, had the audacity to come to town with his car hauler (not the funeral, thankfully!), saying that he was "promised" a very rare Hudson before the man died, and he was ready to bring it home with him. He tried, and failed, when the executor said not no, but hell, no! He said you can bid on the car - when it gets out of probate! It and another vehicle were tied up for nearly two years. The man with the trailer did NOT end up with the car, BTW. And rightly so.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  11. Roothawg

Roothawg

My wife has been instructed to call you guys.

12. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I've got a good friend who is approaching retirement age... he has accumulated a LOT of parts for a particular make/model. His son is a pretty good guy (in college), but doesn't share his dad's passion for these cars. His daughter could probably care less, and his wife is supportive but doesn't know what he's got.
    Being 20 years his junior, he asked me not too long ago to catalog all his stuff and dispose of it for a fair price for his wife.
    Fortunately, my wife and son know that I've got a bunch of money sitting on the shelves out in the shop. I've also got enough friends that both of them know, that I won't have to worry about it... my wife will know who to call to come and go through it for ebay.

Lots of guys say "I don't care, I'll be dead." I feel I have a responsibility to make sure my wife and son don't get taken advantage of after I'm dead. Letting your stuff go for pennies on the dollar isn't how a man treats his loved ones.

-Brad

13. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

I'm busy moving my "stuff" out of my mother-in-law's house and into a rental two car garage so we can sell her house.
    My wife commented today, after the 7th or 8th trip to the garage, that the relocation was a good idea as it gave me a chance to sort thru my "stuff" and eliminate things I don't want or need!
    I had started that process and just got worn out. I have defaulted to moving EVERYTHING and have deluded myself into thinking I'll go thru it later. I hope I'm around long enough to actually do that!
    We hope to relocate from a town house to a "real" house within two years. I'm planning on a four car garage.
    Hopefully I'll see that happen. If not, my wife and kids may be able to get over my demise more easily once they try to get rid of my "stuff"!

14. 31modelo

31modelo

If my boys don't want it. I want it to make another round as stuff found cheap from a widow. Don't care, I'll be dead.

15. 4ever18

4ever18

A few years ago, a local round track star passed away. His son, who never had any interest in cars, loaded up all of the "junk" and hauled it to the local metal recycler. A few pieces were purchased from the recycler, but who knows what went away to only come back as a drink can or a road sign!

For me, I've told my wife which of my friends to contact for assistance in marketing the "JUNQUE" car parts. As for the cars, I think that my son-in-law has pretty much claimed them all.:D

One thing that I started doing is to label some "not obvious" parts with their name and a value (as of "today's date"). It might not mean much, but it's better than nothing. I've gone to a few estate sales and see a box/bin of loose parts and "who knows" what each item fits - these items sell for scrap prices or get hauled to the dump.

16. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

it involves a hose, closed garage, and a car.

17. I totally agree,,preparing for family while living and eternal life when you leave your loved ones behind. HRP

18. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

My wife and Kid will get everything.
    some of it will be kept, knowing my daughter..all the other stuff will end up on the HAMB.
    As far as Stuff goes, I dont care. As long as my family is taken care of, than I have done my job.

19. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Are you kidding my son calls me everyday from Atlanta and asks me how I'm feeling, if I say great he gets depressed...

20. 4t7flat

4t7flat

My large diecast collection has very little value,so I will take that with me. My very large collection of 50's cereal premiums,I will start selling off,as they are valuable,but not easy to sell. I hate to get rid of my Post Cereal cars,but my daughter has already told me they are trash. There is a sign in my garage that says "Every thing I own is valuable.Please don't cheat my widow". All three hot rods will go to my son,at least he thinks they are cool,my daughter thinks they are an asset. I settled my sisters estate through probate,it was a licence to steal by the state and lawyers. My parents estate had a "TRUST"every thing was settled without spending a dime.

21. whid

whid

holy crap...woke up this morning before the alarm went off and the first thought in my head other than i got to pee is i need to rethink my will.now stumbled across this thread..I'm a goner....went to an auction awhile back.a local gearhead had passedway to early..man this guy had all kinds of "stuff"...it was bringing stupid money...was good for his widow,and also my wife.After a side plate for a trans brought a $100.00.. I leaned foward and asked my wife how much hell do you think he caught over dragging this stuff home? Thats when I told her if something happens to me dont throw nothing away..It was a good education for her......dave

22. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I'm not so pompous to think my wife/kids are so stupid they won't be able to figure it out. Therefore I live for today.

23. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

Hey, you guys that don't care what happens to your stuff when you croak. Can you pm me your name and your towns newspaper so I can watch for you in the obits? I would love to have your stuff for pennies on the dollar, or better yet what kind of flowers are your wife's favorite? I could be the kind gentleman who stopped by to help clean the garage out so the poor lady could finally park her car inside where that rusting old hulk (your prized possession) used to reside. Thank you:D

24. mrpowderkeg

mrpowderkeg

I only went to one estate sale, it was all tools and assorted guy stuff. By Invite only. The widow was not there, her son in law was selling it for her... I bought some nice vintage tools. The guy was a rodder, and had some nice stuff. What I bought was tools that were overlooked, anything not snap on was priced low. Some of the tools I bought are my favorite ones to use. The circle of life continues.

25. pastlane

pastlane

If it comes to it, my exit plan is a charcoal fire in a tightly sealed room.

My real job is setting up & running estate sales. It's taught me that the most important thing in life is to enjoy every single day. Come the end, it's all just stuff. It's the people that we have touched & the memories left behind that matter

The sentimental value that we place on things rarely carries over to another person looking for a bargain.

26. "Always have an exit plan, even on entering a room, case for weapons or potential weapons, study everyone in sight. Be nice to all while secretly planning how to kill them all. " DocWatson

I spewed coffee over this one as my father would say something similar as a kid, he would whisper in my ear the weakness's of every one in the room as to assert himself, but I took it as obseving that and the cartoon features of each and it led to some crazy nicknaming of friends and enemies !!

Cars are the easy part to turn in to cash, it is the small parts that are the problem....

The tools are auction items, easy enough toturn into cash. The trick is having the cars in both your names or a will or better yet, a trust, just don't leave your loved ones hanging during those times of despair..

27. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

My exit plan:
    Step 1 - leave body
    Step 2 - float upwards
    Step 3 - thank God for the fun life I've had
    Step 4 - stay away from fires

28. Milhouse

Milhouse
    from RI

I would want my family to use and have whatever they would like... anything else instead of being sold for fair value I'd rather see it given away for free to any young kids that have the same passion for cars and tools that I have, and give them a head start.