Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rear coil over shocks distance between mounting points ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Just got my TCI All American coil overs for the rear of my 26 RPU project.

http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/productdet.cfm?prodID=804

I know how I'm going to build my mounts and the angle the shocks will be at etc, just one thing I'm not sure about.

How much can I expect the shocks to compress when they get the cars load on them ?

I have my rear axle set at ride height now (mocked up on my jig table) and want it to end up close to where it is now when it gets sitting on the rubber as a roller.

The shocks are 14 1/2" fully open. Of course I can't build mounts this far apart now as it will end up lower than I want when loaded.

I am thinking about 13" apart for the mounts which I think will allow for the proper ride height when the load is on.

Am I on track with this line of reasoning ?

I plan to put them at a 15 degree angle.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

3. vendetta

vendetta

if you've got your spring rate right they should compress 1/4-1/3 of your total travel (difference of measurement of shock fully compressed to fully extended)of the shock.you need a decent amount of extension so shocks dont always "top out" over bumps.

4. vendetta

vendetta

this guide is from speedway motors site.

Attached Files:

5. i have alden coil over,s and the mounting for them is 18 to 22 degrees max and min

6. Peter Mc Mahon

Peter Mc Mahon
    from Ontario

Your ride height of your shock is PROBABLY about 12.5". With a 15* angle on the shocks you would need your mounts about 12-1/16" apart.[This would be measured vertically not on a angle.] Hope this helps. Peter

7. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

13" is ride height on tci coilovers.

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks, did you get that right from TCI ?

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Called TCI today and found out some information. My local shop sold me the TCI All Americans with 250 lb springs.

They told me (TCI) that may be a little too stiff a spring.

They said to mock up my ride height as stated above for a compressed shock length of 13" at ride height.

Build the mounts that way, (mounts 13" apart at the desired ride height).

Mount the shocks which start at 14.5" and with a load of fuel etc., the shock should compress to the 13" length as planned and desired.

If that doesn't work out, then a lighter set of springs will be needed to get that proper loaded shock length and ride height.

I actually learned something today, something no one else took the time to explain in an easy to understand fashion.

Sometimes I guess they just figure you should "know".

When building a car for the first time some of the seemingly "easy" details are the tough ones even if you can fabricate pretty well anything you need. :)

Larry.