Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moultrie or the Daytona Turkey Run?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Airborne34, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Will one be better than the other? I'm interested in early ford, flathead style stuff. I'm concerned with the chatter I'm hearing about Moultrie so I'm leaning towards Daytona. Here's why:

1. Apparently Moultrie has lifted the "Age Restriction" on the cars & parts and have marketed to the Tuner and 4x4 crowd.

2. Daytona has remained loyal to the 25 years or older Cars, but is very heavy in the commercial vendors, vs. the private hobbyist selling his wares. Thoughts?

2. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Turkey Run.

3. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Its always anyones guess as to what is going to show up. Moultrie has been good as finding good deals on early ford stuff (Spring show I saw A complete model A roadster for $2800) but you have to hunt. Daytona is famous for over-priced crappy hotel rooms and traffic jams. Boils down to which area of the country you like and what you want to see. What are you looking for?

4. ems customer service

ems customer service

moultrie is better, went to the turkey once never went back

5. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I always thought the swap at Turkey run was great., never did Moultrie

6. cadman89

cadman89

I do the Turkey Run every year and take the pictures.
    If you have never been to the Turkey Run take a look by going to the Turkey Run website and click on the Photo Gallery
    http://www.turkeyrun.com/

OR just go direct to my site at: http://www.jalopyweb.com/
    Might help to see whats going on....and help you decide..

Cadman

7. brad chevy

brad chevy

Hell,I live 45 minutes from Daytona but Moultrie is a better show,and swap.To many gold chainers in Daytona and Chinese aftermarket crap.

8. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I liked the Turkey Run when I was living in Floriduh. Haven't been to it in about 8 or 9 years... maybe even a little longer? God I hope not... that would mean I'm getting old.
    I thought it was an excellent show the couple times I went.

Been to Moultrie a couple times in the last couple years. I think it's also pretty good.

To me, they were about the same.

The bullshit about whining that they're letting "later" cars and parts in is stupid. Lots of street rod guys are building cars with Corvette suspension, later motors, Ford 8.8 rears, etc. Why anybody would want to limit the size of a swap meet by insisting that certain year parts can't come in, is beyond me.

I'm going to Daytona this year, and I will probably go to Moultrie too, so I'll have a good comparison of the two.

Sometimes it's hell doing research for your job!
    -Brad

9. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

i always seem to find more reasonable priced and better stuff at moultrie.

10. dixiedog

dixiedog

Been to both, i liked Moultrie a lot better for swap meet stuff, To me Turkey in the last few years is way too much chinese aftermarket & muscle car stuff, if you have a Camaro Mustang or old monte carlo great place to go.

11. Johnny Hambone

Johnny Hambone

We have been going to the Turkey for the past couple of years and decided this year to make a vacation out of it and go to Moultrie then the Turkey Run best of both worlds.

John

12. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Moultrie for the deals, Daytona for the cars.

13. Kinky6

Kinky6

From talking to some of the vendors over the years, they seem to hit Moultrie first, on the way to Daytona. So the Turkey Run swap gets the stuff that's already been picked over, if ya know what I mean. ;)

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

14. ^^^^exactly my experience. The year I did both, half of Turkey swap was stuff I'd seen the week before in Moultrie

15. 29moonshine

29moonshine

moultrie has more used parts and projects i go to both but like moultrie the best

16. paintcan54

paintcan54

Done the Turkey Run in '97, I haven't been back, and wount. Have friends and most are slowly not going back either, tired of all the new stuff, and high cost of rooms.

17. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

I usually try to hit the swap meets at both, but it seems like I tend to find more stuff to buy at Moultrie.

18. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Probably will be Moultrie this year. Rooms are sold out that weekend, looks like Thomasville still has a few.

19. Philbilly

Philbilly

What are the dates for Moultrie?