Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new 54 Ford Customline!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrrocket, Jul 29, 2010.

1. mrrocket

mrrocket

OK, after a hiatus from old cars and working on cars all together, I picked up this 54 Ford Customline from a lady in Miami. Seems very solid body wise and mechanically it is all there. I will be going through the car over the next week to see what all she needs to get back on the road, but I have high hopes! Story is: She bought it about 20 years ago, had it restored (with metal no less), drove it around to car club meetings and shows and always garaged it. A couple years ago (im thinking about 3-4) she thought someone tried to carjck her in it and she parked it in her garage. Haven't gotten it to run yet, needs brake overhaul and all the basics. Going to do compression test this weekend and see what the deal is. Brakes are pretty well locked up, so we shall see. But, for the price I couldn't say no!

Attached Files:

2. choptvan

choptvan

Yblock or six? pretty clean lookin so far. Good deal i hope?

3. It certainly looks good...

4. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

Best year for the Fords In my opinion, congrats.

5. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Nice looking.

Big plus 1 on good year for the Fords. First car was a '54 Customline 6, well balanced, good mileage, and would run even with my cousin's '55 Chevy 6. Ran it 6 years until it rotted away and bought another '54 [solid West Coast body] with a built 352 and '53 Lincoln Hydromatic. Made some improvements to the original build and had a keeper until I put it into a tree sidways one night. Never give up hope on another coming along for the right bucks when I have 'em in my pocket.

Always thought they were overlooked and underrated. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I did mine.

6. hooligan909

hooligan909
    from San Diego!

wish mine was that clean!

7. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

8. mrrocket

mrrocket

Thanks all! Its a 6'er, it is really clean so far. I know it needs shoes, cylinders, master cylinder and flex lines. I will update with the 67 Mustang master cylinder when I do the hardlines. Going to do a go through in the next few days, see what kind of list I come up with. It is really solid, and looks darned nice...

Got it for 2600.00...

9. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

wow, great buy! Any interior pics?

10. mrrocket

mrrocket

I have a few, But not very good ones. I will have better ones this afternoon I think. Only had an hour or so yesterday to mess with it since its not at my house yet!

11. mrrocket

mrrocket

Thats a shame about your 54...Im still looking for a 68 Fury Fast Top to replace mine that was stolen by this *^&&(** I worked for right after I closed Rocket and before i moved to Florida. I loved that car. Long, sleek, curves in the right places, factory air, white interior, had built a 383, painted it all white and was almost ready to go back in the car....ah well.

12. mrrocket

mrrocket

OK, so, new tires, brakes all the way around and tune up. Got her running today, but from a gas can not the fuel tank. Will have to drop the tank, reseal it and replace the lines, but she does run, and NICELY! What a great sound that was!

Attached Files:

13. Metal Ghost

Metal Ghost

Hey, congrats man! She's a beauty!

14. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

Looks great. Love the color.good luck on the buildup.

15. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Looks Killer man! Any idea what the color is on it? i love it!
    -Steve

16. Deu55

Deu55

Looks great love 54's....

17. mrrocket

mrrocket

No idea on the color ModelApunk, was that color when I bought her.

Shes just going to be a mild custom cruiser for a while once i get her running. Lots of fun though, and for 6 hours of work I think I've gotten a lot done...lol.

18. Nice looking ride. Clean start - now go have some fun! :D

Here's a little inspiration - This is what a clean '54, six months and a wad of cash can get you...

Attached Files:

19. mrrocket

mrrocket

Man thats a beauty! I think I used your car as inspiration to buy mine! I swear I saw your photos somwhere...probably on here. Im interested in doing that front grill modification...any photos of it close up?

20. 53Crestline

53Crestline

Yep! Just remember to have fun with it! Even through the problem spots, because when it's done, there has to be no better feeling!!!!!!! I hoping to get that feeling myself soon... but it's back to the garage for now, lol. :)

Both are great rides by the way!

21. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Very nice, you done good!

22. Me an inspiration - Awe shucks... :eek:

Thats one of the best things about the HAMB. You can always find a project or someone doing something that inspire you to take the next step and try something you never would have thought of doing. Love this place!!!

Here's a few of the grill. I forgot the exact amount we narrowed the stock grill - something like 8 inches?? I still haven't gotten around to finishing the stainless around the grill opening - been too busy drivin' it! I'll get to it this winter.

Attached Files:

23. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

sweet grill mod, love that look.

24. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Definately nice !!!!

25. mrrocket

mrrocket

53Crestline, that engine/trans looks beautiful! That will be a project down the road, to pull the motor and redo the engine bay and clean up the drivetrain. Im thinking I will drive that 6'er until she dies or I stumble upon a good deal on something to swap in...

26. mrrocket

mrrocket

OK, she (now named Mary after my 68 Fury) drove under her own power! I dropped the fuel tank, and boy she is a mess! I ran a gallon of fuel into a can and drove her around the block with my dad! How cool a feeling! She runs really well, idles nice even and stop great!

A little side note as to how cool my wife is: about 6 years ago, I sold her my 55 Olds (was the moment we knew we might really like each other...lol), before that I had had a 3 inch Virgin Mary on the package tray for years. That Mary had come from my 68 Fury's package tray. She kept bugging me about it, so one day I pulled it off and said "here, jesus, take it!". So, last week she kept saying she had a gift for me and the car. Finally, she walked in the room and told me to hold out my hand. Into it she dropped my original, old, sun painted Virgin Mary! How excited I was and to think I was smart enough to marry her!

Anyways, good week beside the gas tank hunt!

27. mrrocket

mrrocket

Well, Saturday morning was spent installing the resealed tank and changing all the fluids. Lowered her off the lift and she ran like a top while I checked temps and pressures. Then, she shut off. Hmm..Not getting fuel. So, remove the fuel line from the tank...nothing. Ran a special tool (coat hanger) into the outlet and unplugged the tube/screen, and off she went. So, pulled her out on the streetm drive her a few miles, parked her at a clients house, came back out...radiator leaking at the upper seam. Damnit. Oh well, thats the joy of not HAVING to drive her. Got her back to the shop and will pull the radiator this week.

So, looks like i will be ordering a new tank anyway from Drake today. Maybe get it by Christmas..haha...sort of. Eating 300 plus dollars on the resealed tank, since I noticed she was running lean and im thinking its a fuel supply issue.

Anyway, thats the 54 update..hell, was sure nice to drive her the short distance I did!

28. mrrocket

mrrocket

Finally! After getting the tank resealed, then having to unclog the pickup tube myself, then getting 1 mile from the shop and the radiator tank splitting, I got her all together and drove her to 3 clients houses and to her new home, my driveway! Spent the afternoon with the wife, mom and daughter cleaning her up, getting stuff out of her, and adjusting a few things! More photos to come, but heres what I have from my cell phone today! And all on my Birthday! How cool a day!

Attached Files:

29. mrrocket

mrrocket

P.S. Still under 3500 total invested!