Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm going to fix it up one day...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stllrng., Sep 17, 2010.

1. I know that much to our dismay we have all heard this many times. It is pretty much a death sentence for old iron. But, there can be exceptions; I bought my 1932 Ford truck from a junkyard in 1981. And though it took me a long time to get at it and I have a long way to go, it is happening. Some help from some good friends can go a long way!!!

Attached Files:

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

how many people did you tell that to

3. Scratchbuilt

Scratchbuilt

keep plodding away at it, you'll get it done.

4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

5. lots!!!

6. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

If you lived next door to me you would be finished and have 2 more.

7. Maco-B

Maco-B

At least your doing it. We spend alot of time on Life.Not enough on enjoying it. Can't wait to see the progress.

8. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

good to see it started.

9. good for you. keep plugging along. If you're into the build you'll stay happy. I have a buddy who bought a finished 32 ford pickup the year he graduated high school (1962). It was a running, driving hotrod. He drove it home, and maybe around the block after that. Then he pulled it in the family shop and proceeded to take it completely apart. When the dust settled, he had a frame, and complete body. Everything else was sold off. Over the next 40 some odd years, he has built it back to a driving rod maybe 4-5 times. Each time a different motor, tranny and rearend. Everything got changed except the paint on the body. Now here's the kicker. I don't think he's put 10 miles on the car since 62. When he's done with a build he takes it around the neighborhood, then back in the shop it goes. The comments he gets are priceless.
    The trouble is he's not 'into' hotrods. Planes turn his crank. He builds experimental single seaters.
    But like he tells everybody who's given him grief over the years about wasting the truck he just shrugs and reminds them it his not theirs.
    He told me once that hotrods were boring and that's why he built the 32 over the years. When he needed a mental break from the planes, he'd do the 32. Said it was a great way to wind down.
    So don't let anybody move you off your build. The fix it up one day is always there.

stanlow69 likes this.
  10. another shot

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. I own the house next door; it is currently rented, but If you don't want to rent I will certainly look at selling it to you.....

12. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Some projects just take longer than others. I've been working on my 33 coupe for 8 years - it will hopefully be on the road next year. Hey, how many times have I said that?

You 32 looks like a great project!

13. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I dunno if i'd do that, look at where he lives currently

14. tinmann

tinmann

Here's where another B.C.'er jumps in a plays his trump card........ My '32 coupe has been my on-again off-again project for a mere 28 years, it too will hopefully be on the road next year...... and yes, Ive said that enough times that nobody believes me anymore.

Nice looking deuce pick-me-up.

15. poorman

poorman
    from cleveland

cant wait to see it good luck

poorman

16. Here are a couple more shots, there is a before and after of the pickup bed. I am starting to get pretty excited!

Attached Files:

17. bct

bct

yesssssssssss.

18. it's yours to do what you wish...others can piss and moan about it...but it still yours....good luck with it....as I have some waiting for me also....

19. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

In building a hot rod or custom it should not be a race to get it done. Build it at any pace you want, or can afford.
    There are lots of things I would like to get done on my Acadian, but it will take a while, because I am limited on time and money...mostly money. I do have the advantage that it is drivable.

Your 32 looks great! Too bad you can't find cars/trucks like that now in the junk yards, or anywhere else around here on Vancouver Island like was around in the 70's-early 80's. Anyone else remember the pile of 30's-50's era cars that used to be just north of Nanaimo by the highway?

20. Pics?

21. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

nice!! cool to see some building pics

22. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

OK now you have thousands of hotrod fans waiting for your next build installment. You don't want to disappoint us now... do ya?:D Don't want to put any pressure on ya.:rolleyes:....but get the sumbitch on the road!!

I had unfinished projects for decades before friends hounded me to finish something. It was a little irritating at the time but I thank them today. It's fun building them but it's more fun driving them.

What is your next hurdle?

23. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

is the house next door for rent ? Good buddy .

24. I've had a on again off again relationship with my Willys build for the last 7 years.
    Even in the off stage I was always buying parts for when the day came on again.
    Like a lot of you guys I've built my own frame and every oldball part that goes along with a one off build. Well things are on again and I'm to the point where soon I'll be able to turn the key on my 396,th400,9" equipped chassis. Next spring look out!
    Your build looks pretty cool so hang in there and good luck.

25. Looks great, like the gauges in the firewall. You going to run fenders?

26. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

my brother bought his 40 ford just 48 years ago, but hes driving it today! with me riding him for the last 30 to get it done.

27. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

What are you doing to that rusty metal to get the paint to stick to it? I have a prodject I'm working on with lots of surface rust and need to know the right way to deal with it.

28. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Looking good,keep going!

The hardest part of any job is starting.
    Next comes paying for it?

29. I have been sandblasting, and also using Rust-mort. I hope that helps.:)

30. I am planning to run cycle fenders front and rear. And I have a '32 grill I am using the old one here is just to get a feel for things.

Attached Files: