Register now to get rid of these ads!

welding stainless in the 40's-'50's...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by banditomerc, Sep 17, 2010.

1. banditomerc

banditomerc

I was wondering,after having my vent frames welded via tig,how did they weld these parts back in the good old days.What was the process.anybody old enough to remember?:cool:

2. canman

canman

It was called Gas Tungsten Arc Welding, GTAW. Later called TIG

3. itsnotaratrod

itsnotaratrod
    from california

gas welding .... you just have a flux either in the rod itself or a powder you mix with water than aply to the area to be welded ... you run a carbonizing flame aswell ...to keep as much oxygen out as posible ...

4. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey David,
    Some guys do this today, in the food prep equipment business if they don't have a tig machine. Silver soldering of stanless is also common. If an oxyidizing flame is used on welding stainless it becomes very brittle and the weld looks it.

'' all great truths begin as blasphemies ''

5. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Yeah, Rex, I've gas welded SS in pinch...slightly carburising flame used. Didn't use flux, but I'm sure it would make a better weld.

6. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep; no real downside to brazing stainless. A common process to assemble fittings to stainless tube in high pressure fuel injection systems.

7. itsnotaratrod

itsnotaratrod
    from california

its very common for people to silver braze small ss itiems.... when using tig the weldment could cool to rapidly and could become brittle and it will almost certainly loose tensle strength ievn if it is a minimal amount .. when brazed it is allowed to cool slowly and in turn keeps its strength ...