Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Let's look at trimmed rear fenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by turdytoo, Sep 16, 2010.

1. turdytoo

turdytoo

Back in the days of under 1500 lbs to run sans fenders in California, heavier cars had some ingenius idea for fenders to get legal. I'm putting cycle fenders on the front of my '32 and trimming stock rears with no frame horn covers. I need some ideas on how much to trim them. Whatcha got?

2. F&J

F&J

Are you using a stock tank? If so, then I think it would be best to keep the flared ends but move them up. On one Barris thread, they said he rotated the fender forwards, then trimmed the front off. That was a full fender roadster that was channeled.

I did start to cut and reposition the rear tail up on one of my fenders. It looked great from the side, not so good from the back??

Tough thing to get right it seems. ,,,or it is so seldom seen, that it looks strange now? :confused:

3. turdytoo

turdytoo

Stock tank and like you said "hard to get right".

4. noxided

noxided

Here are some old R & C articles.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The Bakan car had them rotated forward.

6. F&J

F&J

This one, right?? I saved the pic because this car looks right.

Oh, and I think it may have been Mazooma1 that made mention/posted pics of the Barris roadster with rotated fenders...I think his friend owned the Barris car in the later 1960s, but maybe I am wrong.

Attached Files:

7. dugbred

dugbred

Here's a few shots of my rear fenders in primer, and one after finish paint. I formed a bead around the edge where I cut them, so they would look finished.

Attached Files:

8. swifty

swifty

Check out couver kid's 32-5 window. Chopped , channeled, fully fendered with bobbed rear fenders. But he doesn't have the stock tank, has a small roll pan and the fenders finish in line with the bottom of the pan. Sweet looking unit!

swifty

9. stevens2@htva.net

[email protected]
    from 14883

35 spare tire covers look good on the front so I made the rears to match, not sure I like them yet. It keeps the rooster tails down!

Attached Files:

10. what are the rear fenders from?

11. dugbred

dugbred

They're the original '32 fenders.

12. Cool, thanks. I need to figure something out to install for my state inspection on my truck.

13. Wider, bobbed with bead at radius would add more rod look IMO, the rear fronts look like ....well fronts on the rear ...nice rod though.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw some good looking trailer fenders at a store with a lot of trailer stuff last weekend. One of the wider ones would make a pair of rears and one of the narrower ones would make a pair of fronts.

I have in the past seen a couple of guys who had removable "fenders" made out of mud flap type material with brackets that fastened to tapped holes in the backing plates. One carried his in the trunk and would put them on if he had to run in the rain but ran without them most of the time.

Back in the sixties it seemed that there were several articles in magazines on bobbing rear fenders and either moving the bottom lip up or making new lips such as Dugbred did on his coupe.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yup, thats right. Its funny, I have an internet buddy (think he lurks on here, we had a friendly argument about the rear fender treatment on the Bakan coupe. He hates it, I love it. I have always thought on most '32's that arent full-fendered, the stock gas tank looks kind of awkward. Bakans approach was really clever in my opinion, as it lines the "curve" on the lower rear of the fender with the gas tank and helps the tank to blend in more and not look like something that was just kinda stuck on as an afterthought. Surprised more guys havent copied that treatment over the years.

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Old-style. And much more functional than fully fenderless. A fenderless roadster's front tires will shoot stuff at the driver and passenger, especially when turning. I love the look of spare tire cover front fenders and the bobbed rears. Don't especially care for spare tire covers for the rears though.

17. F&J

F&J

I think I am influenced by what rods I saw throughout the 60s around here in CT. We did have to get an inspection when registering a car back then, and we were all told that the fender law was strictly enforced....So, every rod here had some sort of fenders.

Now, we in Ct, have no inspections and I am told the fender law is not really enforced.

I may give mine another try at some point..

18. F&J

F&J

Well turdytoo; did you start cutting yet ? :)

I picked up a cheap pair of old 3w rod fenders that had 41-48 chevy tailights mounted. I took about 4 to 5" out as a rough mock up, and moved the tail up.

Now that I started making a fake cabriolet roof from steel, the fender looks somewhat better from the side and rear views. I still need to figure what to do about the front edge of the fender because it looks odd from the front, looking down the side of the car.

I thought about using black paper taped on, to the shape of what I think needs to be cut off at the front edge?

Attached Files:

19. slepe67

slepe67

Bringing back an oldie. Im out in my garage with my 5W. Im comparing pics on the latest Rod & Kulture. Chris Ito's 3W is amazing!!!! So, to duplicate his look, i imagine i would have to trim off the rounded edge of the indie fenders & graft it to my quarters. How do you think he got his rear portion to look that way, just take out a few inches & straighten it up?

Ito's car:
    [​IMG]
    My heap:
    [​IMG]

20. slepe67

slepe67

Bump see above