Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shipping a non running car from Hawaii to California, help needed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris Casny, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I am looking to have a car shipped from Honolulu HI to Long Beach CA.
    The car is not running, and has some extra parts that fit inside the vehicle.
    Are there any shipping companies that you guys could recommend, that are trustworthy?
    I also don't care to pay a little more to get, this car to CA safe and sound.

BTW: Matson "the" shipping company in Hi, will not ship non running cars.

Thanks, Chris

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I have no clue about this so im just throwing this out there.

Can you get one of those Pod's shipping containers and see if they (Pod's) can deliver it to an address in another state? even from HI to CA?

just a thought

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Got any Navy guys local you could ask? My brother's out on the Nimitz right now - unreachable- but he's shipped 2 cars from Hawaii to Cal. One was out of pocket. Just an idea.

4. bruce bowe

bruce bowe

none of my business but did you buy a 36 three window on ebay last night?

5. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

;):)

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

My neighbor shipped a nonrunning 55 chevy to the big island. He made arangements with a broker and took the car to Oakland where they loaded it into a container and shipped it. Seemed pretty seamless.

7. Chris - look into getting your own container, that's what I did when I moved back to SoCal from Hawaii. You'll need a trucking company on both ends. The one in Hawaii will bring the container to the address where the car is and leave the container for a couple days while you load it, then pick it up and take it to the docks for shipping.

When it arrives here, the trucking company will pick it up and deliver it to your address, again you get a couple days to unload it and they will come back and pick up the empty container. Keep in mind that the containers are on a trailer so you will have to lift the car in or find a loading dock if you want to roll it in/out.

You could probably make a trip over there to find other stuff to fill the container, when I did it containers were 24' or 40' - probably still are. I did this 25 years ago but was able to put my padlock on the container and everything arrived intact.

If you find another way to ship the non-running car don't pack the parts in the car - they probably won't be there when the car arrives!

8. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

uh oh Chris, what did you find?

try Horizon, thats who i used to ship my wagon over and i am pretty sure they ship non running cars, reasonable $ too.

9. 58Lincoln

58Lincoln

You can make life easy by contacting a freight forwarder/customs broker. I used to be in the business.

I believe a 20 ft. container will do the job.

Good luck with the 3 window. I'm at the tail end of a 4 year build of one and know some good parts sources.

10. John Denich

John Denich

Cool Deal Chris I was watching that car also, it looks really nice!

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dammit Chris! HAHA! Well... Congrats!!

If you haven't found what you need already, check with Limey Steve.

12. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

BTT, thanks for the help so far.

13. i dont know if Aladin ships from Hi but its worth a shot . i v shipped to sweeden ,Germany and auz through them and its painless 401 Lesser Street
    Oakland, CA 94601-4901
    (510) 533-0400

14. Lucky444

Lucky444

Hi Chris, you might try Pasha. Here's their website...

http://www.pashahawaii.com/?gclid=CKvGkouahaQCFRJNagod4l6NHw

I know the sail out of Long Beach and here, but not sure about the non-running issue. I know Matson won't take any vehicle that doesn't move under it's own power. You might want to check with some Oahu based moving companies as well.

http://www.royalhawaiianmovers.com/

http://islandmovers.net/personal/ov...ulu&lid=996389234&provider=google&c=996388842

Hope one of these can help you out.

Good luck! Jason.

15. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

I watched that auction end, helluva buy on that car, even if it costs a few Gs to get it home.

-KK

16. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

One more bump for the evening crowd, thanks.

17. bruce bowe

bruce bowe

congrats, lucky dog. what a car. did you score any of the wicked intakes they had for the flatmotor?

18. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

PASHA? i think they do.. there was a no op Vdub heading out (on pasha) when I brought my cars back to the ML...

man... any early iron leaving the islands.. makes me sad faced. but glad a hamber got it.

19. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Horizon Lines will ship in a container, their website even has instructions on stowage. I promise we will be gentle when we cram everything in there. :D

20. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I also recommend Horizon Auto Services. It's who I use.

21. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Chris,

Call Steve at Limeworks; he just shipped a non running car over to LA from one of the islands last year.

The easiest way I have found is to use a freight forwarder, they will no doubt load it into a container fr the trip and you will just go to their yard once it gets here and pick it up. They handle all of the logistics of loading it into container, getting it to the port in HI., getting from the port here in LA, and unloading it at their yard. All you do is pay them and go pick it up.

By the way, I have a trailer that is really good at haulling 36 3-windows. You are welcome to use it or I will come with you and get it and drag it to your place when it arrives.

John

22. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

ALL THIS TALK AND NOT ONE PIC!!! DAMNIT CHRIS!! the one week i dont look at 35-36's:eek: although i do know where a 35 is:D

23. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Why don't you use the company he uses???:
    I can assist the buyer by taking the 3-window to the docks for shipping, however, buyer must make all arraignments & pays for shipping & transport. I have used PASHA HAWAII (http://www.pashahawaii.com/) to ship non running cars to California and have shipped cars to & from Hawaii and as far as Switzerland & New Zealand using DAS Global.

24. My friend ships non ops from san diego to Hilo on Pasha. He said it is less than you would think.

25. the vonstripers

the vonstripers
    from france

you can try "Schumacher Cargo Logistics, Inc."
    my contact is [email protected] Tel: 562 408-6677
    maybe she can help you...!

26. SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG