Register now to get rid of these ads!

More AMC 327 Inspiration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Special Ed GT, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Special Ed GT

Special Ed GT
    from Denver-ish

Not that I care to admit that I've been trolling the AMC sites lately, but last night I was looking for some tech info on the AMC 327 that I plan to use in my altered, when I stumbled upon some interesting info. While the 327 was never really considered a performance engine, there was a factory experimental Rambler (!) that was powered by a 327 stroked to 418 with a 4-carb setup. Has anyone ever heard of this car? It was raced around 1963-64.

"A 3/4-inch stroker kit nets the Rambler a four-inch "arm." Pistons are special order 12-to-1 Ansen items, .060 over. Ed Iskendarian supplies a wild 505-A cam, the four carb manifold is home-built, and the heads show diligent preparation."

http://www.wps.com/AMC/Rambler-327/418-CID V8_files/

Attached Files:

2. dixiedog

dixiedog

I love that picture, I had a 220 out of high school with a 6cyl never should have sold it.
    Thanks for posting it -

PS dont be ashamed to be an AMC fan there are lots of folks in that closet

3. 57wagon

57wagon

Nice Pic !!

I have a friend of mine who bought an income property here, and in the garage was an old Rambler,,, same body style that was in the pic above... He said I could have it,, no title though,,,

Might have to make an AMC Gasser for the hamb Drags :)

4. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I beleive Preston Honea was a noted AMC drag racer and had a Marlin Funny car that was in Hot Rod or Car Craft. Do a google on him and maybe that can answer some of your questions......Kidd

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

This summer at the Woodward Dream Cruise I saw a 401-powered Rambler, that was pretty cool, this, however, is super cool.

6. I too am an AMC guy. Really, it started with the Hudsons, and evolved into AMC's... and Jeeps.

That Rambler was a mite quicker than Rocky's or Tucks, I bet...:D

Dont' be skeerted to admit a passion for AMC's. And 327's weren't just Chevy's either!

Jay

7. Special Ed GT

Special Ed GT
    from Denver-ish

Thx guys. I'll check for info on Preston Honea's car. I don't remember the 401 at Woodward last year; wish I had seen that one.

I'm putting an AMC 327 in my Bantam altered project, and am always looking for ideas on a unique intake and on performance mods. At this point I'm thinking of an overbore, shaving a little off the heads, a reground cam, and a port job, with either a fabricated dual-quad tunnel ram or a quad-2-barrel setup with early bugpack or weber carbs just to be different. With a hidden nitrous system. I know the bottom end is stout already, but I'd like to improve the top end. If you have any other ideas, pls let me know.

8. Have you discovered the AMC Forum?

Whole heap of real knowledgeable guys on there. I'm registered over there as Brootal also, so mention me and they'll all like you straight away. ;)

They'd love to hear about your altered project too.

9. Special Ed GT

Special Ed GT
    from Denver-ish

I just registered over there the other day. Still in lurker mode. :)

10. STILL OLD

STILL OLD
    from tennessee

I got a buddy that is an AMC freak!! Back in the day He had a 327/ 3sp that would eat 327 chevy's alive. Ran D/S at Indy one yearand held His own

Buzz