Register now to get rid of these ads!

long-term storage of chrome parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tjet, Sep 11, 2010.

1. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I have a couple of freshly chromed bumpers for my '59. I need to put them away until I get it running.

Should I put them in plastic bags?

2. No, best to just wrap them in some soft blankets and store them under your bed.

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Apply a good coat of car wax but don't rub it off. Then wrap them up in blankets real good.
    Then put in plastic bags if you can. Then store them inside - under your bed.
    Oh, also write down somewhere where you stored them.

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Mine came back from the chrome plater wrapped in brown paper. I stuck them under the bed just like that for over 5 years before they went on Big Olds. They were just like the day I picked them up when I unwrapped them.

5. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

Plastic bags will just trap moisture, put them up in the rafters of the garage with a blanket or towel over them to keep the dust off them.

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I would get some CRC SP-400 [in a spray can] most likely find it at an industrial supply store..Plastic bagging after coating probably wouldn't hurt but where you are going to store them is important, got to be dry, low humidity..got room under yer bed?

7. chopz56

chopz56

I agree with the coat of wax,my buddy use to store cars in his unheated pole barn with dirt floors and all for people and a guy stored a Model A in there for a winter and put wax on all his chrome before he stored it,spring time came he pulled it out and removed the wax and she was good to go!

8. 61bone

61bone

Wrap in newspaper or brown paper roll into a movers blanket and store in the rafters

9. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

There we go, I wrap my chrome parts with 4 sheets of newspaper. I bought a pair of chrome hood hinges from my friend and they were sitting for about 2 years wrapped in newspaper and when I opened it to check it out, the chrome was fine, no oxidation. Bottom line, newspaper works.

10. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a car once and one of the Seller's main selling points were the "perfect" chrome bumpers he had done several years previously and had stored wrapped in plastic in his garage's loft. He got them down and unwrapped them for me - I thought he was going to cry. Little rust spots all over them. The looked like they had measles.

11. 8-Track

8-Track

Wax and wrap in brown Kraft paper is the ticket and store in a temp controled area.

12. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

thanks :) I just put a coat of wax on them & wrapped them in newspaper. They should be ok in the rafters now. Glad I posted this question, you guys are the best..

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  13. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

WD40..... can even withstand moisture then if your house has moister air than you think