Register now to get rid of these ads!

T5, flathead, floor mount pedals, is it possible?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Sep 10, 2010.

1. I did a search and didn't find anything. I know anything is possible. But what problems will I run into trying to use a flathead, t5, and ford floor mount pedals? How much longer is the t5 case? I was planning on using a f1 crossmember. I'm assuming I'll have to push it back to fit the trans. any help appreciated. thanks.

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

While I've never done this, I know it's possible and have seen build pics of it done (don't remember where).

The T5 is significantly longer through the case - approx 3-4" - and then the tailshaft adds to that length, but is slender enough to fit through modified crossmembers easily.

How you set up your floor pedal linkage will depend on which type of clutch arrangement you use. In many cases, it may be easiest to use a hydraulic clutch master/slave set up. This gives you freedom to mount your pedals to suit your driving position w/o worrying too much about manual linkage alignment.

You need to have everything mocked up to see what will likely work best for you though...

3. Buzzard II

Buzzard II

Try contacting Cornhusker Rod and Custom. They're a H.A.M.B. vendor. They have a kit for installing a T5 to a flathead. They should be able to steer you in the right direction. They're knowledgeable-they helped me!

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I also believe that Ionia Hot Rod shop put a T5 in a stock frame some time back. Might want to contact Matt (HotRodDrummer on here) to get the specifics.

Frank

5. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

You have to cut out too much of the F1 crossmember...don't do it.
    You need to push it back by 6 inches or more unless you raise your engine.

OR use Jeep T5 with a homemade closed driveshaft adpater....

Fab your own crossmember....use F1 pedals.Simple

Michael

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

It's not a flathead but the clutch linkage is very similar to the flathead with a shaft through the bellhousing for the TO bearing. The length of the trans has no effect on the clutch linkage. I did have to cut and box the Xmember for the trans and make a rear trans mount but the linkage was not altered. Your original linkage should still connect to the clutch fork shaft in your adapter.

7. gooseta2

gooseta2

we put flatheads and t5's in all our cars and have 3 frame mount pedals....check us out at www.shadowrods.com

goose

8. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

[​IMG]

I did this one couple years ago, kinda plain looking but it worked perfectly.

9. Maybe I'd be better off with an x-member vs. the f1...

10. hotrod8

hotrod8

with an adapter from cornhuskers , you can use stock pedal setup .........

11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Had it in my Bucket. Mechanical clutch linkage and all. Tight but it fit and worked. God I beat the he'll out of that...

12. KINDA EASY TO DO!
    I did my '32 this way. Flathead truck bell housing and T-5 tranny (Ford clutch and Astro van disc). Used Ford truck pedals (late '40s) and bracket with a custom center cross member. Cross member from square tubing with a drop out center section. We too thought about using the Ford crossmember but it seemed like too much modification. Used double MC from Speedway and hooked it up to the pedal bracket assembly like original - but did modify the pedal assembly bolt holes for the original MC to accept the new one. Built a "box" in front of the center section to hang the pedal assembly/MC from. Running a non WC T5 with the forward located shifter. Little trap door in the floor to check the brake fluid level. All made from materials we had on hand and it works great! And a T5 behind a flathead is so SWEET!!!!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  13. Vergil

Vergil

8ba in a '30 pickup with Dwight Bond adapter, t5, Model A pedals, used the adapter with the pedal shaft but made a bracket and moved the pivot down on a 45 degree angle about 1 1/2" to clear rear of engine and still have the same plain as the floor board.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

nah, the x member just adds more crap down there, i'll have to get some pics of my 27 roadster on here, granted that is WAY smaller than a 31 but it is almost impossable to get petals down there, i tried. The other problem with an X is if you go the later ones they are too long and you need to kick them out a bit to get them so they dont go past the firewall or kickup.

Also your trans will probably be too long and you'll have to whack a bit out of the center of it

BTW its 32 rails 283 4spd and PACKED tight

15. goon56

goon56
    from new jersey

i'm working on a similar set up. 8 ba flattie a speedway adaptor, and a t5. got a pete and jakes floor mount pedal set up, and a hydrolic puller. mounted the puller to a backet i made, attached it to the chevy style fork, and mounted the other end of the puller close to the trans case. by putting the puller on an angle, i have plenty of room to mount the pedal set up. seems like it will work well. now i gotta see how it all fits after i channel the body four inches. if i had some pics on hand, i'd post em.

16. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

On most of the installs using our T-5 conversion kit you can use your stock clutch linkage. For installs where this isn't possible we offer a bolt on clutch slave assembly that solves that problem. Cornhusker Rod And Custom/Alliance Vendor. 402-749-1932

17. Thanks for all the response!

18. hows it going ? I would appreciate some help ,my brother in law is putting together the same set up and I was wondering if you could answer some questions for me? He wants to know what modifications you did to the clutch system ,such as the throw-out bearing,clutch disk,pressure plate ,and flywheel? thanks for your help. Nando 53- F100