Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone use HOK candy base coat paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by custom_lettering, Dec 12, 2009.

1. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

possibly looking to use the house of kolor candy base coat system they have on the 35 kustom. supposed to be easier to fix them regular candy. its a candy/pearl mix thats not as transparent but still gives a candy look. being a driver this could come in handy down the road. just wondering if theres anyone here thats familiar with regular candies has used this product and what they think? thanks

2. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

I haven't used the base coats that they sell pre-packaged, I always buy the KK concentrates and mix my own in intercoat clear.
    I love it! It's so much easier to repair and it looks very close to the regular Kandies. I don't use it for show cars or bikes, but for anything that's street driven, I usually try to steer the customer in that direction.

I know the pictures don't tell the whole story, but take a look at this to see the depth of the KK
    http://www.premierpaintandpowder.com/mark_roberts_finished1.htm

3. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

I use the kandy base coat religiously. Its a no brainer you cant screw it up! Not quite as deep as a true candy but still beautiful colors.

4. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

thanks guys hey faded do you have any pics of the brandywine and apple red painted on a car? also do you use a metallic base or just primer? being that the candy base coat isnt as transparent does it pay to put a nice silver base under it? thanks again

5. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

No silver base nessesary, it covers pretty good. You do want to have a nice uniform base so you dont see shadows though

6. skullhat

skullhat

ive done both numerous candy jobs and hok base coat jobs.

the willys in my avatar is hok sunset pearl.

as they are basically pearl colors, metaliic bases are not the ticket. for the yellow- orange based colors i use white on tanks and smaller jobs, and as the area gets bigger i go with a color close to the final shade.

on the purple colors a red sealer makes for a good overall color, or purple or blue can be used as well.

with most of the colors, direct use over primer doesnt work to well and gives a dead side tone as well.

you can also step up the pearl in them, and put a koncentrate in intercoat clear over them for a more candy look.

agreed though, for street use it makes for an easier repair, and thats exactly why i put in on some of my own cars and many customers.

both the purple and tangerine willys in my albums are the hok stuff for those who want to take a look

skull

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

The colors look similar, but you can't beat the look/depth of real candy paint. Not even in the same ballpark!
    First one I did, I was so disappointed, that I wound up putting real candy over the KBC basecoat to get the depth I wanted. But it made the color darker than I really wanted, but still looked much better.
    Nice colors, but not candy.

8. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

Is it possible to spray the kandy base coat over a regular grey primer ?

Will the kandy base coat be suede, without clear?

anyone have pics?

Thanks! sorry for hijackin

9. skullhat

skullhat

most of the colors will look "dead" sprayed over plain primer, muddy side tones and all. a similar colored base is manditiroy. they are transluscent and the base will contribute to the final shade.

i once tried the magenta color, forget what its called , over primer, and it took like 30 coats to cover, lesson learned, lol

yes, they will be suede without clear, but dont hold up too well in that state. i'd use flat clear over them for durability

skull

10. So will this stuff look good over metalflake like regular candy paint?

11. delaware george

delaware george
    from camden, de

no,since it's a basecoat,it'll cover the metalflake...here's a dash done in it

Attached Files:

12. skullhat

skullhat

as george says, no...................use the hok koncentrate in intercoat clear for use over flake.

skull

13. That's what I thought, but had to ask, thanks.

14. abone1930

abone1930

Is the house of kolor candy base prone to tiger striping like real kandy? Was looking at the oriental blue, would you need to use a base kolor of black that?

15. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

No, it doesn't tiger stripe like the real stuff. I'd use a dark primer under it, but the candy basecoats are like regular basecoats...they don't need another color underbase.

16. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

It is, since it is semi-transparent. However thats going to vary with different color and with what you put underneath it. Not really understanding your second question.

17. abone1930

abone1930

Typo(lol) I just wasnt for sure if it was transparent enough to need a base to determine the shade. I was talking about house of kolor candy base. Will use a black primer for the base then. Thanks for the info :D

18. 409deuce

409deuce

Painter used bright silver for a basecoat before the HOK tangello and violette. Really pops in the sun.

Attached Files:

19. caper150

caper150

I haven't used the candy base coats yet, but I have use the koncentrates and mixed them with the intercoat clear and have done a complete candy job on a Harley Bagger. Heres a pic of the tank done with Wild Cheery Candy over a blue and silver base, customer wanted the bike to look black until you got close to it and then you could see the colors.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see the flash of the camera brought out the color, the areas where the flah didn't reach you can see how dark it is.He does drive this bike alot and did put a huge rock chip in the fairing and I was able to touch up the spot with out repainting the whole fairing( couldn't believe I got it to match, but you couldn't tell where I fixed it)

Here is a pic of another bike done in HOK bases in the same colors as the base of the candy job.
    [​IMG]