Register now to get rid of these ads!

We lost another one of the great ones.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hank37, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Just heard that Ed Kowalski from Reading Pa area died on wednesday. We will miss him, but the memorys he left us. So sorry for your loss E.J.

2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

That a shame I met EJ but not his dad when I bought parts of Ej ,Sorry for your loss Ej.....

3. Correct me if i'm wrong someone told me Ed and E.J's flathead coupe set a new record at Bonneville recently.

4. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

I am very sorry to hear this news......I know Ed & EJ a little bit.....they have been very kind to me and are the real deal in racing and hot rodding.........RIP, Ed.......thanks for your kindnesses.....

CB

5. Clark

Clark

I know Ed and EJ where really close.......It's really sad!!
    Clark

6. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

EJ,

Sorry for your loss.

Jay from the Jalopyrama

7. rick finch

rick finch

Sad news......R.I.P. Ed :(

8. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

9. I'll miss him more than you all will ever know. He was like the brother I never had.

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Anyone taking notice of how frequently this is happening lately? A lot of our hot rodding buddies are taking the exit ramp. My condolences to his family and friends.

Frank

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

I only meet Ed and EJ once on the way home from having Bob Bilbow do some welding on my Lyndwood rail. What a great guy, having a Junior Fuel car in the livingroom and car stuff all around, sure did make a lasting impression. There was a chopped Merc in the garage along with their Lyndwood and a Salt Flat Roadster. Prayers going out to his family and friends.

12. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

That trip to Bilbo's shop and the Kowalski residence was one of my all time favorite roadtrips. Joe and I still talk about it from time to time.
    The shop they run is half shop/half museum, you would love it. Last time there (about 9 yrs ago) they had the jr fuel car, a couple of bikes and the restored King Twig Lyndwood rail in the showroom.

EJ piloted their flattie powered A roadster to an X/F class record of 163.5-old record was from something like 1994.

Ed was an awesome guy (as is EJ). Always in a positive mood and more than hospitable. The relationship Ed and EJ together is something beyond words-father/son and best buddies at the same time.

EJ, may the Lord help you get through this. I am sure your dad would be happy to know the lasting positive impressions he has left upon so many of us. Bless you EJ, I am sure your dad is smiling upon you.

If there was ever a man who defined "Old Guys Rule" it would be Ed.

13. plmczy

plmczy

RIP, sorry for your loss EJ

14. 1oldrat

1oldrat

Our thoughts and prayers are with you EJ.Sorry for your loss.

15. hershambob

hershambob

did ed have a removals/home relocation buisness in the past,a guy of that name used to stay at my parents house here in england years ago

16. sawzall

sawzall

Although I only knew them in passing it was apparent that they shared the passion. Sorry to hear of Ej's loss

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  17. R.I.P. , sorry to hear, our condolences to family and friends. dermott.

18. Not the same fellow by a long shot. The closest Ed ever got to England was eating at an Arthur Treatuer Fish & Chips joint.

19. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

I spoke with my pop tonite. He said that not only did Ed and EJ just set the record for X/F roadster at Bville, but Ed had just recieved an award and commemorative brick from Maple Grove for being the first to run 200mph there (years ago) as well as some award/plaque at the Old Dominion track to honor a record he had set there years ago as well.
    As sad as it is that Ed has passed, it seems nice to hear that he was given some of the recognition he deserved while he was still here. So many times, people don't get that until after they have passed.

20. cycledelicjohn

cycledelicjohn

Really sorry 4 your loss e.j. Your dad and i went back to 1964 times with rods & customs . I called him honest ed ! It was great seeing u both at bonneville yrs. Ago , determined to break that forsaken record and able to reach that goal in the final days . What a way to go ! " god speed the healing " psycho

21. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Sad News......R.I.P you will be missed

22. Sorry for you loss EJ.

RIP Ed

23. jess

jess
    from Nebraska

kuztomklaus added to a Speed Week thread documenting E.J.'s, Ed's and their crews qualifying and record runs at Bonneville in August 2010.

Complete with Video and Photos:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496813&page=4

When I think of Bonneville, the first car that always comes to mind is the little yellow roadster with black scallops being pushed off the line by a matching suburban. A few years ago, maybe ten, after the Kowalski's visited our pits, my dad said to me, "Those are the real racers here." They drive over 2,200 miles (one way) just for the chance to race on the salt.

Ed will be greatly missed. My thoughts are with you E.J. The kind of bond you had with your dad is so very rare and special. I hope the memories fill your heart as they do mine.

24. Chevychopper

Chevychopper
    from Smyrna, DE

I was fortunate enough to become great friends with EJ and Ed. One of my fondest memories of Ed was riding with him in their push vehicle last year in Bonneville. Keep in mind that this was prior to Ed's corrective eye surgery. Needless to say a few cones were taken out and the laughs and smiles remain today. My family and I want to express our deepest condolences to EJ and his family. A great man will be missed.