Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. farmer12

farmer12

So true. I've learned that it takes a lot of practice and getting the feel for it. Some guys make it look so damn easy....

2. farmer12

farmer12

I may just buy some more tires....would't be a bad idea. Here's another look at my other baby. Sorry, couldn't resist.(engine builder is Eddie Haines of HemiHaines btw)

Attached Files:

3. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

a truly beautiful engine

4. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks! Its standing in my garage at the moment, waiting to be installed. To be honest, every now and then I take the blanket off, stand back and just look and enjoy. Hope I'm not too weird.....:rolleyes:

5. no....you would only be wierd if after your drooling gaze you decided to hump the motor....but I don't think anyone here would blame you for that because that is one sexy chunk of metal.

6. plmczy

plmczy

Farmer, just spent the last couple hours reading this whole thread,very nice work,love the way it looks. I'm currently working(mainly collecting parts) on a 40 dodge tudor sedan. I agree with your motto about doing it right the first time, especially when you don't have a constant cash flow. You have inspired me with my project as my 40 is my first major undertaking. Belated Happy B-day, I'll be 39 this sunday. Gotta get workin on my car soon as I'm not getting any younger:). later shawn

7. farmer12

farmer12

Shawn, thank you for the complinents. Looks like you also have a great project on your hands with that 40 Dodge. What are the plans? I'm glad I've been of some influence/inspiration, considering this is also your first major project.

Like I've said before, it comes down to good planning, reading and measuring. This has probably taken up 60-70% of my build time. Good luck and happy birthday!:) Eric.

8. It's weird, but in a good way. I can relate. Have you added up what you stuck into that sucker? I've got two that I've got to do so don't feel bad. It's only money. :cool:

9. farmer12

farmer12

I know I've spent way more than 15k on this sucker and that is before it was transported to the Netherlands, import duties and tax.:eek: Haven't added it all up, maybe later when the car is finished. Just not right now........

Attached Files:

10. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Good idea. The "Oh shit!" factor goes up real quick when the numbers start adding up. :eek:

11. farmer12

farmer12

Just don't add up all the money spent, that's the answer. Also, I never know when mrs farmer12 may curiously accidentally peak over my shoulder as I'm typing! Gotta keep the woman happy....don't talk dollars is the lesson of the day.

12. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's my motto. I've restored several cars. I used to keep ALL the receipts but it turned out just like my racing receipts. I knew better than to add them up. I just do the project the way I want it, at my pace and get it like I want it. In my mind, I have a rough number of how much I have in it but I never total it all up. You'd go nuts doing it and you'd stop the project if you counted it all, IMO.:D

13. plmczy

plmczy

Thanks. My plans are to build it as a mild custom using parts from the 60's. I've picked up a couple of the little mags from the late 50's to early 60's to get some ideas. I can't tell you how many times I've thought thru different ideas only to scrap them and do it a different way. I have 2 inch lowering blocks in the rear and I cut 2 coils out of the front coils of the GM sub frame that is grafted to the front. I'm running a 318 w/904 trans going to be basically stock motor w just a cam, manifold and carb upgrade. The 40-41 green coupe(the first pic) you posted a couple posts back is kinda what I'm shooting for. something simple and clean. shawn

14. farmer12

farmer12

Shawn, it looks like you've already got some ideas of where you're going. That 318 should give you nice performance in the Dodge. But you need to sort out which ideas you want to use, plan what your basic budget is and build accordingly.

Every magazine I see has some good ideas, but reading too many will constantly change the vision, resulting in indecisiveness. Pick a car you like the look of, make the necessary adjustments relative to your car accordingly and start building. I'm sure you'll manage, at one point you have to say to yourself"let's go". And happy 39th birthday. Enjoy!

15. Your a wise man !

16. Holy Shit Farmer...that motor is HOT!

Finish the car before you add everything up. At least you'd have the joy of seeing it done before you have heart failure.

17. plmczy

plmczy

Farmer12, thanks for the advice. Hopefully soon I can start going gung ho on the car. shawn

18. farmer12

farmer12

My plans exactly! I'll only add up all the numbers when it has to be valued for insurance purposes, until then......

19. Man, what HE said.

NUTS !!

Rat

20. farmer12

farmer12

Went to work on the car again today together with Martin. During the weekend he's finished the lower part of the sheet metal around the bottom part of the rear window. This is looking great, with only minor lead work to be done.

We're focusing on the interior now and will start to build the tunnel and foot wells. I've lowered the car in the rear, this will be the final position when the car lowered to the max. The front end will receive dropped spindles, lowering it a further 2 inches.

Attached Files:

21. farmer12

farmer12

Here's a couple more pic's. The front body work needs to be raised about one inch,(to get the trim line lined up) but with the dropped spindles, this should effectively lower the front one more inch. Should work out just fine.

Attached Files:

22. farmer12

farmer12

Started fabrication on the tunnel. I used a mock up driveshaft of 2 inches in diameter, to get a look at how it will run with the offset 9 inch rear and the car in its lowest and highest position. Final driveshaft diameter will be 3.5 inches.

Going to start fabricating the tunnel around the gearbox which will be one big removable piece for easy access to the bell housing and gearbox. But first I need to make the foot well area and create sturdy mounting points for this tunnel piece.

Attached Files:

23. Lookin' good!!!

24. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks! I feel like I'm approaching the half way point in this build.:) I especially like this pic below, showing the great lines of the car.

Attached Files:

25. farmer12

farmer12

Got started on the driver side floor pan. Made a cross in the middle for some extra rigidity and to keep in line with the rest of the floor and tacked it into place. Some extra metal work has been done, replacing a lower part of the body below the floor pan(left hand side) which was slightly rotten.

Going to find the correct position for the pedal assembly and steering wheel now.

Attached Files:

26. farmer12

farmer12

Started mounting the pedal assembly and the steering wheel. I was concerned that the gauges would hit the brake actuator, but after mock up I still have two inches of room.(gauges will be mounted in the center of the dash and the brake actuator at 90 degrees to the pedal assembly). The pedal assembly will come down 1 inch and the steering wheel will be positioned up one inch. The pics show a rough mock up.

Next problem is the steering linkage. Considering the hole through the firewall will now be higher, I need an extra coupling mounted to the frame to compensate this. I'll also need to notch the engine mount slightly for clearance purposes. Nothing major, just another thing on my "to do" list.

Attached Files:

27. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

28. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Jeff. Working on the passenger floor now and hope to have the front part of the tunnel done next week. This will be a one piece that can be unbolted for easy access to the transmission. Slowly but surely getting there!

Attached Files:

29. Bullrack

Bullrack
    from Louisiana

I'm confident enough that I can now wholeheartedly say "I officially have Plymouth Envy". Great work on this one and that early hemi is just the icing on the cake! Steven.

30. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Bullrack/Steven. Looks like you also got a great project going on with your son. Good luck and thanks for the compliments!