Register now to get rid of these ads!

My V-8 Corvair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lobucrod, May 6, 2008.

1. Awesome and well worth the wait.
    Great choice on the sleeper silver/gray paint and the stock dog dish hubcaps!

2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I decided not to go the usual route of putting the radiator in the front and cutting all the holes in the body so I put the biggest aluminum radiator I could fit in the back with dual electric fans on the bottom side to pull air through it. Area around the radiator is sealed so that the air has to come in the vent under the rear window and through the radiator and out the bottom.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jury is still out on how cool it will run. Only time I've taken it out it was 105 outside and it got up to 210 on a 10 mile drive. I may have to put a scoop on the air intake under the back window to catch more air coming off the back window.

3. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I just re-read the thread part on how you did your shifter linkage with the push-pull cables. I've been tinkering with the idea of a mid-engine 429/toploader 4 speed equipped '60s Econoline, and shifter linkage was an issue. Your solution is so clear and practical I had to kick my own ass for not thinking about it. :D Thanks for the pics!

4. imnezrider

imnezrider

Hahaha....mine runs about 190 - 210 on a 100 degree day in Texas and of course I have no hood. Just note that's relevant...The cooling fans on most late model vehicles will not turn on until the temperature is 220 - 225 degrees.I don't know about you, but that makes me more comfortable

Attached Files:

• m1.jpg
      m1.jpg
      File size:
      478.4 KB
      Views:
  5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Lobuc: Just curious, as the Corvair engine turned the opposite way (counter-clockwise) did you flop the ring gear in the diff? (if so, was there add'tl machine work? Like around the pinion boss?)
    I used to work on lots of old 356 Porsches with Corvairs in them...their trannies were reversed for the opposite rotation. (yeah, poor men's "911 prototypes"!)

6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

After reading this post I did a quick online search, as this could be relevant to part of my job. (diesel generators) There is a company called SPAL that makes programmable controllers that could be the solution to your temperature issues. Check www.spalusa.com.
    One way to determine if your temps are coming from the fan on-off cycle is to rig up a temporary switch in the drivers compartment to control the fans manually. As you drive you can monitor the temp and turn the fans on or off as your temps rise and fall. If running the fans manually keeps the engine cool, a programmable fan controller might be the way to go.

7. Steve 38

Steve 38

Heres one Frank Gardner raced in Australia in the 70s.

Attached Files:

8. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

"Lobuc: Just curious, as the Corvair engine turned the opposite way (counter-clockwise) did you flop the ring gear in the diff? (if so, was there add'tl machine work? Like around the pinion boss?)
    I used to work on lots of old 356 Porsches with Corvairs in them...their trannies were reversed for the opposite rotation. (yeah, poor men's "911 prototypes"!)"

The engine turns in the correct direction when it is mounted in FRONT of the Corvair diff.

Ring gear cannot be flipped in a Corvair diff.
    Most engine swaps into the rear engine compartment require the engine to rotate counter clockwise.

9. Al Von

Al Von

Thanks for posting the pics of the shifter arrangement. I have been trying to figure out [for years!] how a 4-speed could be put in a Dodge A100. Now I have the answer.

Now if I could just figure out a T5 or T56 in an A100...

10. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I installed a 180 degree thermostat and a 190 degree fan switch.

Like Model A Vette said, everything turns the right direction with the v8 in front of the diff.

11. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

another way you can shift a 4 speed in a van is to use the 3 speed column shifter to shift 1-4 and use a push pull cable to shift reverse.

12. May Pop

May Pop

I race against one back in about 1978. I had a yellow V8 vega. Dont remember if I won or not. We both were at the junk yard and saw each other. This was in Des Plaines Il. Never saw it again.It was rear engine,and painted flat black.
    Ron

13. I have a friend who started building one about 1990. I believe it is a 65 or 66. He installed a mild 350 with an OEM 2x4 bbbl set up. It has a narrowed 9 inch Ford dif, ladder bars and floors have been bent up in their metal brake and are all new. He hasnt laid a hand to it in 15 years and has no interest in Hot Rods now. It would definatley be available for sale. His name is Darren Vandervelde and he lives at RR#1 Carrying Place Ontario (KOK1L0 Postal code I think. ) Ph number can be found searching "Canada 411")
    He also has a very nice 56 GMC half ton (corvettte yellow) with a good street 455 Olds in it. It works great and was installed with no welding so as not to ruin the integrity of the truck. It is also for sale.
    Anyway I know for sure the Corvair project interest is for him over and done. It is inside his shop and has always been. There a "barn find" V8 Corvair for someone.
    Don

14. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Nice build. There is a Corvair convertible out there somewhere they call Monzillia (it has Monza trim package). It runs a 327 in the factory location. Motor runs in reverse, uses old chris-craft water pumps and looks like it came that way from the factory! Search the Corvair Forum if you are interested in pictures!

15. racer756

racer756

Great thread!!

Corvairs are truely Americas sports car.

16. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I love Corvairs, and modified ones even more. The cars on this thread are fantastic.

Reminds me that there was someone who put a Jag V12 in the front of a 'Vair - ring a bell with anyone?

17. imnezrider

imnezrider

I think that's best you can do without installing a radiator the same size as the car and personally, I think that would look pretty funky. :D

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Neat car, and a good thread. I have always loved the mid-v8 corvairs, ever since I saw the white one in Car Craft in the late sixties.

19. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

pix please. I've got a 68 & want to small block it . Or sell it.

20. I believe that is the one built by the late, great Gene Jordan of Kennewik WA, co built by he and his son. You should have seen his 38/39 Ford COE with the mid engine, blown 460 Lincoln and his home built independant 9in Ford rear end. Black with flames, lic plate, UGLY!!! LOL

21. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Anybody remember the mid-engined '66 Corvairs that G M built as a test bed ?? in the early '70's ,,,a friend in Des Moines,IA, had one of G M's test 'Vairs',,he bought it from G M ,,had a mid engined 302 or 350 small block,Cross Ram Dual Fours, ,,was White with two Blue Race Strips from the hood ,over the top n down the trunk ,,had a clear plexi cover over the back seat area,,i got to go for a ride in it a couple times ,,it was crazy fast ,,don't know,,or remember where the radiator was in it ,,
    but i'm sure some of you guys can find pics and specs on it ,,G M built a few of em ,,back then G M was thinking 'bout doing the 'Vettes with a mid engine ,,

22. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

23. ...a friend of mine has owned this Chevy V8 rear-engined Corvair for well over 30 years...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  24. ...here's the engine...

[​IMG]

25. Butcher's Shop Customs

Butcher's Shop Customs
    from Paducah KY

I love it!!! Bet it sounds wicked at WOT with that thing sittin inches behind your head with two 4Bbls wheezing in your ears!

26. If I was doing the Crown V8 conversion I would use a four door Corvair and/or a 4.3 V6. The V8 really intrudes in to the front seat area.

In 1970/71 there was a high school auto shop teacher in Columbus, GA that had a Corvair with an Olds Toronado drive drain in back. It was a real beast.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  27. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

http://www.corvaircorsa.com/monzapro.html

28. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

http://www.corvaircorsa.com/V-12-01.html
    Impressive workmanship.

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

30. Saw this at Louisville this year. My teeth about fell out when he popped the hood and showed us the 455 Buick in it.

Attached Files: