Register now to get rid of these ads!

OHV to Flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blackjack, Sep 5, 2010.

1. We all know of kits to convert valve in block engines to OHV - Ardun being the most famous. But I wonder (just out of interest) whether it would be possible at any reasonable cost or time to convert an OHV pushrod engine to a valve in block "flathead". maybe in the weird world of Bonneville someone has done just this to capture a particular class record.....

I'm thinking particularly of the aluminium block Rover/Buick V8....... Potentially lots of advantages in terms of cooling, weight and power potential.

I know this would not be practical or sensible but what is in the world of hot rodding???

[​IMG]

2. barry wny

barry wny

Just scrapped an olds 215 V8, engine kit is $800 and couldn't give it away.
    There is no surface big enough for a valve deck most importantly. Also to cast a flathead block in aluminum, well somebody already is attempting that. I think the little nailhead is sweet like it is, fantastic power to weight ratio for it's day, dumbass engineers wasted it on a crappy automatic and big car. Now if they had put them in a '62 nova or used them instead of the OHC's in the little pontiacs with a 4 speed woulda been a rocket. If I get my hands on one agian I want to make another bucket with an all alum. engine & trans., acessories.
    SU carbs though, I don't think so

3. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

there may not be practical or sensible in the world of hotrodding,

But there is possible

What you propose isn't. Think about it. Valve in block also means port in block. Just where would the ports run on an OHV block with no head?

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Even at Bonneville there would be no advantage to converting an OHV to flathead. The rules would not recognize it. And few if any would want to spend big dollars to go slower. My Plymouth four was a flathead from the factory. I built it as an overhead and ran it that way for some years before deciding to convert it back to flathead. But everything was already there for me to do it.

5. Fun to think about doen't mean fun to try. They're casting almuinum flatheads now. Save time and money and buy one.

good luck

6. hotrodstude

hotrodstude

there would not be any reason for converting an ohv to a flat head.i've done some strange stuff in my life but never wanted to do this.409/corvair was the strangest one,did put a stude v8 in a 55 chevy.but that turned out great.

7. Areopagitica

Areopagitica

A Stude V8 in a 55 Chebby? Really?

8. A blast from the past!!! What I love about the HAMB are these threads where people say that's impossible then someone pops up who's done it.

There were a couple of threads on OHV to Flathead conversion last year. Once again various experts proclaimed it to be impossible unless $$$ millions were spent and that flatheads were low powered and useless compared to OHV engines (on a trad rod site yet!!)

See here for the naysayers - http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=741160

Then someone says I know some old hot rodder who did it using a modern Ford small block. People called BS. Then the guy chimes in himself - produced pictures and all. Looked a great way to go. These were the key conversion parts that make it possible;

[​IMG]

... and here's the thread with a pdf download showing it all on the last page;

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=741160

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  9. Here's the assembled engine;

[​IMG]