Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gravity Feed Spray Gun Holder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gahrajmahal, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Did you ever wake up in the middle of the night and start solving those obscure projects you wish you could get out of your mind. Well, this is one of those. Actually, one version, as I thought up two solutions as you will see. After many years of driving my car around in primer I resolved to get paint on it THIS YEAR!! You can see some initial design concepts in the "Photoshop to end all Photoshop" thread. Thanks JamesD ! The car is a 68 Chrysler 300 convertible, a one year model that followed a Gene Winfield factory prototype. Hang on, I'm getting to the spray gun holder... So to do JamesD's photoshop justice I started painting various stuff in the garage that has been looking pretty crappy, like my trusty Lincoln buzz box, a welding helmet and a flip top trash can. (these will show up when I do a post on paintin the car). During my "test panels" as I am trying Red Flat Pearl paint with Winfield style fades my catelized PPG clear hardened up in my trusty old spray gun.

[​IMG]

Sooo, to keep things moving along I bought a new gun.

[​IMG]

This to the tune of $129.00 from TCP Global. These are the folks that sell Hot Rod Flatz, which was also in the order. One qt. kit each of Carnival red, and Maroon.

Here is how my old guns are stored.

[​IMG]

As you can see, filling the cups with paint is simple. Unlatch the gun, set the cup down on the bench, rest the filter on the rim, and pour in the paint.

Well, with a gravity feed gun you can't set it down or hang it up. So, after the purchase, and while still sanding, sanding, sanding on the car, in the back of my head I am thinking about painting day and how I am going to use this new gun. In the mean time I have had a few more test panel tryouts, Hot Rod Flatz, various dry pearl powders mixed in my clear, and a factory pearl red with flatner, all sprayed now with my $19.95 Harbor Freight touch up gun.

First Idea...

Make the holder out of 4" PVC pipe

[​IMG]

Second Idea...

Make a wire one like you can buy at Eastwood etc.

[​IMG]

The wire one came to me one day at lunch. It was my day to clean up, and they had these Sterno wire warming racks. You set two Sterno cans in the bottom, put an aluminum pan with water, like a double burner, then put the trat you want to keep warm in that.
    We had four of those, and I thought, hmmm, what can I make out of these?

[​IMG]

So, can you see it?

Here let me flip it over for you.

[​IMG]

Yea, just cut loose a corner leg, there's your upright. Cut the bottom (top) rim long to form a stable base. Next cut the upper rim long and form them to a semi-circle to hold the cup. Push some rubber hose over the wires to protect the new gun and all set. You could probably make two.

I realized the wire holder would be simple, but when I put the rubber lid onto the paint cup I had to push pretty hard. I could just see the paint gun crashing to the pavement spilling my co$tly paint on the ground. Probably the last quart I needed to finish up.

So I went with the PVC.

2. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

First I eyeballed for the slot. How long and how wide

[​IMG]

Next I got to measuring and laying it out

[​IMG]

Next up, start sawin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, how does it work out?

[​IMG]

Fine and dandy, like cotton candy. Lets cut it off to size and see how stable it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It sits on the table OK with the gun in it, but I decide I would like to be able to clamp it to the table if I want to. So I dig out a piece of 3/4 plywood. I set the PVC on it and cut it slightly wider than the pipe. I then draw around the inside of the pipe in preparation to cut out a disc matching the inside id.
    [​IMG]

I then cut the scrap off the end squaring up my remaining piece. Next I sand the disc so it fits inside the pipe easily. Once again I set the pipe on the now shorter rectangle and draw the inside od. I then screw the disc down with a few drywall screws.

[​IMG]

De-burr the slot and wipe it down with some laquer thinner, I then slip the pipe on, lining up the gun-slot to the short end. Next I drill two holes on the side to screw it to the side of the disc. Next I dig out my box of tubing and find some clear PVC about 3/8 id. Starting in the middle I slit it down the middle to apply to the top edge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, thats my project, Took me longer to do the post than make the holder, but I need the practice posting for when I put up the paint job.
    Hope you can use the info, and if you have made your own, tack em on here.

3. BISHOP

BISHOP

A good paint gun holder (stand) is 7 or 8 bucks.

4. I like it.....

5. 1946WillysJeep

1946WillysJeep
    from St. Thomas

Ahah, but this one cost him nothing! 7 or 8 bucks more to the hotrod!

6. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I would of sold you mine ,I bought it 3 years ago and never used It ,I clamp mine in the vise .nice job by the way and thanks for sharing

7. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

But having the drive, knowledge and ability to design and fabricate your own?

PRICELESS! :)

8. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

If I just bought one, my insomnia cure wouldn't take. Also the paint cost for all my "trials" was wearin on me.

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Hey , thanks for the idea, mine has been laying on its side on a shelf..

good for storage, and good for when in use..i like it

10. Again, home made trumps cheap import crap! I like it and thanks for sharing. Another use for plastic besides plumbing and potatoe guns! :D

11. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Nice idea.....and it is unique...
    Good job.!!

12. bustingear

bustingear

Just open your vice a few notches. It saves alot of needless work.

13. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

that's a good idea. better than the road rash mine gets from the bench vice during paint jobs. stores on a wall hanger.

14. cederholm

cederholm

I like like it!

15. mugurpe

mugurpe

I used to use those HVLP guns in a piano spraying shop, we had some sort of home-fabricated stand that left the nozzle in solvent or something, which was nice. but it was a while ago and I forget exactly... there was something clever about it apart from the obvious.