Register now to get rid of these ads!

Two kids on the salt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dean Lowe, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Go get em Dean! Do my front wheel hub proud :D

2. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Speed makes my heart happy!

3. saga

saga
    from Minnesota

Had a chance to meet the Lowe Bros yesterday and snapped some photos. What a great story. I will try to post some of my shots. They ran 82 yesterday but seem to be just getting started.

Attached Files:

4. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Thanks for the pics, looks like there havin fun...............updates would be good

Keith

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

come on Lowe brothers!!!!! were pulling for you!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

They would go a lot faster if they stopped pushing the golf cart..
    [​IMG]
    Photo stolen from web.

7. firingorder1

firingorder1

Any word on how they are running? The BUB site seems to be about as much use as 80 grit toilet paper when it comes to updates.

8. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Up for news.......

????

9. I wish the Lowe brothers great success. Anyone have news? I wish I could have been there, but could not afford to stay that long. Maybe next year..........

10. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

awesome story, awesome thread. best of luck on the salt!

11. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Well..................Deano......what happened??????

12. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

*tap tap tap tap tap TAP TAP TAP *

Waiting to hear how you boys did!

13. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

How was the Magic Carpet Ride?

14. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

15. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Hopefully it held together and he s gonna run at El Mirage next week?

16. Got home a few hours ago. Sad to report the little Honda failed in it's mission to regain it's AMA records. We were way too optimistic with our gearing this time. First run on Sunday netted 80 mph in 3rd gear. It just wouldn't pull 4th. A gear change netted close to 84 on Monday. Sure isn't the Bonnville of the 60's. One run a day is about all you can do. BUB had 264 entrys. I don't know how anyone can get a run in with SCTA and over 600 entrys! For Tuesday we dropped to a gear just slightly higher than the '69 gearing. Jack was off on what sounded like a much more promising run when just as he entered the 3 mile, the engine said enough. It was starting to lose power, and Jack cut it off, but not before it melted the top of the piston and the debris hung the intake valve open. Game over. We had what we now realize were dreams of running faster than we did in '69. We leaned on the motor pretty hard with 75% in the tank, and learned the hard way a 45 year old 4 stroke simply cannot make the power a modern 2 stroke can. Didn't get the records back, but we had the time of our lives, made some new friends, and would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and well wishes.

17. Dean Lowe - Thanks for the update ... bummer about the melted piston ... but glad to hear you "two kids" had the time of your lives, made some new friends, and would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  18. Dean, thanks for the report. It is just not as easy as it sounds to make a successful run at Bonneville. Sorry you melted the little fella down. I do hope you rebuild it and go at it again. We discovered that there is a real "trick" to hitting your shift points just right and peaking your revs through the traps. Just making the effort and getting it down the salt makes you guys winners.

19. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dean, glad you had fun, after all isn't that what its all really about?? Way to go man, still ran some damn impressive numbers though!!
    Doc.

20. Damb Dean
    Sorry you did not reach your goal but hey getting there is half the fun.

21. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sensational thread - You guys are congratulated for trying to relive the dreams instead of just talking about it over a beer!!!

22. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

Sorry to hear about the meltdown. I was really hoping you guys would pull it off. There's always next year.

23. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Great history Dean, FWIW I'll bet you guys would of won if they had style points!:D

24. 2x4

2x4

Thanks guys. Inspiring.

25. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Well....you guys have memories that are gold.
    Had you not tried, you both would have forever been regretful.
    Now you both know....you gave it a heartfelt effort and the most important thing of all was being able to pursue the quest after all these years with your brother....all over again.
    To say you failed would be an untruth.
    Quite the opposite.
    You saw the opportunity and accepted the challenge.
    You both have won the championship in participating in one of life's great adventures.
    Celebrate the moment.

:D Doug :D

26. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Well, I'm sorry to hear you guys didn't take back your records, but I'm glad that you both had a great time and I'm proud of you for giving it another try! Coming from someone like me, who's never had the pleasure of visiting the salt, you and your brother are a million feet tall in my mind for making runs on it!

27. fordfan289

fordfan289
    from indiana

You and your brother are a great inspiration. Hope to see you try it again in the future.

28. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Sorry to hear about you guys hurting the bike. I do hope you put her back together and try again.

You guys have been an inspiration to a lot of folks.

29. rick finch

rick finch

You didn't tip the can like I told ya :rolleyes:.........you and Jack did well.

30. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

On my first run ever at ElMo it blowed up, everyone was bummed for me but it was the best thing I ever did blowing up or not. Mabey you should get her out to El Mirage for some testing I would love to see it run. CONGRATS!!!