Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone ever done a bare metal car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JOHNNY ARMIJO, Aug 31, 2010.

1. JOHNNY ARMIJO

JOHNNY ARMIJO

my truck need some new paint and some body work...cant think of color other than the same, but bare metal dont sound bad to me. How so they go about doing it so it wont rust, is it clear over metal?

2. Gerg

Gerg

bass has the baddest bare metal car on the planet in my opinion and yah it's been done many times

3. TMoney

TMoney

I think a lot of guys oil them or something.

4. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

you can use Gibbs Brand...I think that is what Bass used....which is souped up WD-40 that you can remove easily when you are ready to paint. You have to keep reapplying..but it helps hold off the rust. Or, as you suggested, you can get the metal really clean then shoot some flat clear over it which will also work.

5. cederholm

cederholm

I've never done a car, but I shoot a mat clear over my sculptures and it works pretty well and looks great. On raw iron I use clear POR15 then mat clear coat. I've been able to even keep a nice "rust" on a few - suspended in time :)

6. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Theres a bunch of threads on this topic, you should do a search and you'll find all the info you need. And i probably wouldn't suggest putting oil on if you ever wanted to paint it.

7. Should look a lot like this:

Attached Files:

• jeem.jpg
      jeem.jpg
      File size:
      14.8 KB
      Views:
  8. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I think paint is the new bare metal!!!!

9. JOHNNY ARMIJO

JOHNNY ARMIJO

yea seen tht one and instantly changed my mind on color lol

10. Unless a body has had EXTENSIVE modification executed flawlessly and with zero filler I just don't get the bare metal thing. Even to show off one’s body work talent I think it should be a temporary thing or it just seems half assed after as while. It sounds to me like your only real problem is a severe lack of imagination.

11. I'm with Royal shifter anything but Flat black or Bare metal. Unless you can metal finish the complete body and its just a step in the process (on the way to some really nice paint).

12. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

Just chrome the whole truck.

13. Obsessedwithchop

Obsessedwithchop

Even just clearing the vehicle isn't going to last all that long before you start seeing little rust spot show through and Ive even heard yellowing occuring not sure all the logistics on the last part just something I heard in another thread. I agree unless it has exstensive body mods done very well just prime it for the time being. If you start oiling it you will most likely have an issue with trying to paint it later on down the road and honestly I couldnt see myself oiling the thing once a week $$$$$

14. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

whats the matter with rust ?

15. I just patented a Latex Car Condom! Comes in Gibbs and Cosmoline. Keep your bare metal in TIP TOP STANDUP Condition!

We sell one that fits 32 5 windows so far (only chopped) and 54 Chevys (no dagmars, too pointy). More makes and models to ...............come.

16. cracker head

cracker head

17. JOHNNY ARMIJO

JOHNNY ARMIJO

i dont think its lack of imagination..if it were id probly flat black it with some pinstripes or scallops n stealies...but thts jus my opinion and everyone has one but thanks for your input

18. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

Clear over bare metal is tricky. I did it on a motorcycle frame once, poor man's nickel coating :rolleyes:. I polished the frame up though, not a chrome polish but fairly smooth. At any rate, the clear doesn't want to stick to the metal, that's what primer is for. Although if you don't go with a semi-polished finish it may stick a little better. If you go too thick with the clear you will get a yellowing effect, I had to strip and re-shoot my frame after I added a second coat thinking it was a good idea for rust protection. It probably was, but it looked like hell. And with just a thin coat of clear the rust will still show up underneath. Slowly, but it does. After all, clear isn't sealer either.

Now that I've given my technical advice- personally, I think the bare metal thing is getting way overdone. Bass's coupe being the exception, but that thing is so incredibly bad ass you could paint it Pepto pink and it'd still be cool.

19. prost34

prost34

I like the look,but cant have it here with the salt air!!,,,you can acid wash it WITH A SCUFFY PAD everyweek instead of waxing!!,,lol

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

it sucks. it looks stupid. it never sleeps. :rolleyes:

21. Dr. Frankensickle

Dr. Frankensickle
    from Kansas

no but I've had car made out of bondo

22. Rust is the new rust.

23. beauishere

beauishere

I agree with you

We were trying to copy an existing car and it was so much work to get it right and took so long to find the right parts that we decided to finish the build bare so we could photograph it while you could see the parts. Once the chassis was painted, a lot of the parts will disappear in a sea of black.

But it's only temporary. We're done now and it will go to paint. Keeping it clean during the build was bad enough, on the road it would just be insane.

Aloha