Register now to get rid of these ads!

Texas YOM plates who sell them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A 31 MO FO, Aug 29, 2010.

1. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

Looking for some 1954 Texas plates for my truck. Thanks Robert

2. I got mine from a guy who is always at La Grave swap. I had to restore them, but they were way cheaper than the ones on ebay.

3. dyoung

dyoung
    from Goliad, TX

License Plate Jesse is the guy you want to talk to. He's in San Antonio and his number is 210-532-7456. He's honest and fair. Just explain exactly what you want and he will give you several choices of condition and plate numbers to choose from. It comes down to how much money you want to spend.

4. 500LBGorilla

500LBGorilla
    from Austin Tx

He's a great guy and has everything...

5. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

x3 He hooked me up too!

6. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Jesse is the man to contact..by the way DO NOT BUY a farm plate

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  7. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Got mine from Jesse too.

8. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

Thanks guys for the #.

9. rdevarga

rdevarga

What is the issue with the FARM plates. I have heard there was an issue with COM plates.

10. BISHOP

BISHOP

I have a set of 1933 cm plates I planned on running on my pickup, I sure hope I can.

11. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Pretty sure a new Texas law went into effect at the first of the year? No more YOM farm plates issued for trucks. Someone will chime in with the facts, but that's what a plate dealer at the Conroe swap meet told me earlier this year. He had scads of 'em from every year, worthless.

I have a set of NOS '56 Texas farm truck plates that were worth about $80, now they just look good on the kitchen wall. :)

12. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

Jesse once again is your guy. He is a good buddy at the swap meets and me and him do alot of trading and dealing

Really cool guy

13. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Not sure exactly what the deal is but I scored a sweet set of 58 farm tags about 2 yrs ao and didnt register them. Now I heard I'm stuck with some nice shop deco.

14. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Yeah Jesse is your man. Bad news for me on the plates I have then. Yeah i got farm plates for my 36 truck.

15. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I have a pair of rough but restorable '58 Texas Truck plates that I'll give you. I'm not going to do anything with them, and if you can use them, they're yours.

16. BISHOP

BISHOP

Couldnt you just cut the words "farm truck" out, and weld in a piece there.

17. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Hummmmm

18. rdevarga

rdevarga

I just picked up a set of Texas 1940 FARM TRUCK plates 2 days ago for huge money. Is there a way to verify if they are illegal? A contact at DMV?

And if so ... what are our legal choices for a 1940 Truck?

19. Jack

Jack
    from Austin Tx

20. Raunchy

Raunchy

I called DMV on the Farm plates as they seem to be easier to find. You can use them if you meet the criteria for a farm truck which legally kills them for everyday driving. They are for hauling produce and animals .... basically farm work. What you would have to do to prove this? I am not sure. I have ask 2 tag offices and 1 said you can't use them period and the other said you can if it's really a farm truck. Which is common now days as to interprtation of the law. I did talk to a guy at a cruise that was running them said he has been running them for years but he also had a farm. Maybe his were Grandfathered? Any of the YOM tags have to be visually inspected for correct color and readable condition. So if you try to alter them it probably won't fly. I know a couple of people around here that have been stopped for hauling cars on a trailer with Farm tags ($6 a year) They got tickets as it is only supposed to be used for produce animals and farm supplies. I guess the HiPo couldn't be convinced the guy grew the 32 Ford. Although Falfa did have a field car.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  21. rdevarga

rdevarga

I purchased my '40 Farm plates from Jesse 2 days ago. Called both the DMV and Jesse to get the low down. Looks like it was very recent change (see revision date below). Jesse has no problem with a return. I am going to go on down to the County with the plates and ask them what is the legal option for a truck? And to check if the C*M Commercial plates are allowable? Keep ya'll posted.

Taken from Form VTR-54: APPLICATION FOR ANTIQUE LICENSE PLATES Rev. 09/10

To be approved, the Texas plates must be the same year as the year model of the antique vehicle, with the correct color scheme, and be in good readable condition. Qualifying license plates, such as Farm plates, Dealer plates, etc., may not be used.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  22. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Been running 35 COM tags on my 35 panel truck for 7/8 years. Had to take them to my local County Tag Agency for inspection. But came away with flying colors, I had looked up what the back ground and letter colors were before I redid them. Got them from Jesse for $35.00. They were rusty and a little beat up before I started redoing them. Showed them to Jesse after I finished them. He said I had made them into a $125.00 set. I am running front and rear tags and have the Antique tab on the rear tag.:)

23. mastadon

mastadon

Hey Robert I got mine from E-gay but I had to repaint them ,Jesse has the plates but is on the high side if you want a set ready to go.

24. I have a set that are in great condition I'll sell for 100.
    [​IMG]

25. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

So it looks like you can't use the single dealer plate either.

26. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

27. Badass

Badass

I called Jesse and he told me $160 for some plates with rust on the edges.

Just bought some mint NOS 1959 plates with no rust for $60 from http://www.chucksplates.com/

28. hbrown

hbrown
    from austin tx

i have done a little research and bought some 41 com plates for my 41 truck.

i interpert this as they did not have tx truck plates till 1945. all trucks were classified as commercial up till 1945 then in 45 had a desiginated truck plate AND a commercial plate for buisness.

did i read right? see link below and i found similar info on other sites.

hope its true and helps others

http://www.licenseplateinfo.com/txchart/trk-tables.html

29. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Make sure what you use is nice and clean, they wouldnt accept mine (that have been on the car for years) for a little tiny spot of rust on the ege where the po had one of those cheezy license plate trim rings.

30. BISHOP

BISHOP

Thanks for the info hbrown, thats good news.