Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mini-tubbing my 1960 F-100 "Earl"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BIGREDTODD, Aug 29, 2010.

1. My F-100 was originally destined to be a pro-street type of build...you know, Mickey's and pizza cutters? Thank God I found this place. Still needed to widen the inner fenders to clear the 285/70 rubber that I run...[​IMG]

First, the floor got cut out between the rails and made up an upper cross member with sleeves for the upper shock mounts.
    [​IMG]

Overlaying the piece removed to get an idea of where to trim to make the best fit.
    [​IMG]

Not too terrible...at least something the paint guy can work with for the next phase.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Well crap that's a good way to fix it back up... don't be too hard on yourself!! Looks good!! :D

3. With them tacked in place to match the floor (about 3" inboard +/-) I cut 4" strips of 18 gauge and laid them over the gap, and marked both sides with a sharpie. By cutting through most of the mark, you end up with a workable gap for a butt joint...love these little clamps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I installed the strip in 2 pieces if only because 1 long piece was too much to deal with at once. More of the same for piece #2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starting to look a bit more encouraging.

[​IMG]

4. Second verse, same as the first...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The shape of the drivers side well (sloped funky for the spare tire) created the absolute need for the 2 piece appreoach. You can see how the same 4" strip started to veer off toward the bed side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. A little peak at what the cover will consist of. I HATE the way speed bumps look in a bed floor. But I also like the low look. The long-term plan is an elevated wood plank look bed floor, but I want it to look decent and finished until that comes to pass.

If you look closely, you'll notice thin cuts through the high ribs of the bed floor. If you look not so closely you'll see the profile of the notch cover :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These cuts allow my notch cover to drop down onto the lower ribs for a tight gap. I made the cuts with a 1/16" cut-off wheel and slightly beveling the cuts after laying out where the notch cover would sit. This allowed the (18 gauge) notch cover to comfortably slip into the cuts and rest on the bed floor for a tight gap and easy fillet welds.

[​IMG]

6. Well, that about covers what happened yesterday...had to pull the plug to get cleaned up for a buddies wedding reception, but all in all pretty satisfying day.

Starting to look like it should again.

[​IMG]

7. Hopefully more pictures this evening...going to try to wrap most of it up short of finish welding today...very nice to have 70º days this weekend after 100+ most of the week.

Thanks for looking--nothing crazy, but progress is progress...

8. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

What are thoose "clips" called holding the pieses together ?? where would you get them ...body shop supply ?

9. I bought mine at Harbor Freight. There's 8 or 10 in a pack for $5.99.

I'm sure an auto body shop supply has them too, and certainly Eastwood. They are certainly better quality that these, but they work for the $$.

10. Just Jones

Just Jones

Looking real good, Big Red. Hope you keep posting on your F100 project. Nice save!

11. 50shoe

50shoe

looks great. I love reading threads about your truck. these era ford trucks are some of the best looking out there, I think

Thank god you 'saw the light' as it were before the pro-street transformation!

12. Getting closer...

Finished taking the driver's side tub.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's right...for all you guys sportin' the 14x10 Cragar SS mags on Kelly Super-Charger Poly Glas tires, this one's for you. Skyjackers!!! (air shocks) NOT BAGS!
    [​IMG]

13. It's a revolting development when you discover that not having to make the tubs as wide as you thought has consequences...namely the notch cover. It was now 6" too narrow. But some bending, tacking, and...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  14. Couple of quick mock-up pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking guys. No one around my place get's too excited about shop progress until it's done, so it's always nice to share the progress here...

...now back to welding!

15. Looks good Todd. Great work!

16. gafridge

gafridge

Looks great Todd,you can come to Georgia,and do mine next.LOL.Keep posting pics of the progress. Stony

17. Well I got to a place where I could stop and be satisfied, and still clean up the garage, go grab some pub food and catch a movie...no complaints! The air shocks hold air, and everything is securely tacked in place...

Looks much more encouraging than what I started with...thanks for the comments, encouragement, and just looking!

Driver's side:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Passenger side:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's where I finished the day. Finish welding will have to wait until it gets sent off to paint.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  18. slammed

slammed

She's looking sweet! These truck's are very cool indeed.

19. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

If you have to tub a bed, that's the way to do it. Nice and subtle. Looks good. I am anxiously awaiting a post about the engine rebuild.

20. It will come, Ryan...I promise...

21. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Lookin good. With that Caddy mill under the hood its gonna be sweet set up!

22. rayford

rayford
    from calhoun ga

looks good man

23. lilclay81

lilclay81
    from illinois

man awesome work

24. whid

whid

looks real good....I wouldnt beat myself up over that....nice job...............dave

25. sololobo

sololobo

Earl is lookin good. Very nice work puttin the 60 back together. I really have developed a "crush" on these 59-60 F-100's. Take ol Earl for a lot of drives, he will like that, and so will we. Atta Boy!! ~Sololobo~

26. Thanks for the kind words guys...appreciate it

27. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

You can also get them from Alex Gambino here. He is an Allience vender. I bought 25 from him at one of the shows.

28. Thanks Chris...I have my work cut out for me now. Gotta pull the front clip, revise the steering shaft (with the spent Caddy 500 in place) to clear the headers before I pull the engine...

Got to have that ironed out before I get the built 472" (actually a 478" now) from Tim on the 18th...so I can stab the engine and log some miles before (hopefully) making the October get together at Eagle Field...

It's going to be a thrash!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  29. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

Thanks BigRed ... I am going to get some of those....