Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 57 Ranch Wagon - the solution to the winter blues.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lono, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Lono

Lono

I picked up a 57 ranch wagon early this summer and just now getting ready to begin the build.

It's generally in solid shape. A little floorboard work but nothing horrible. The rest of teh body is clean. Interior is pooched.

[​IMG]

I hit a few swap meets and other spots for some missing goodies. Headlight shrouds, cowl vent (thanks HAMB), tail lights and a front bumper. Now as cruising is coming to a close it's time to make room in the shop for some mechanical and body work to fret the winter away.

My next door neibour has a 74 150 parked in his yard. We've been here almost 9 years and it hasn't moved. A couple weeks ago I asked about it. Its got a 360 / auto with less than 10,000 on the rebuild and he had parked it because he bought a new one. Then he said I could have it if I wanted it.

This morning I went down and lubed up the cylinders in the truck. If the owner can fit it in, we'll drive it straight up my driveway this weekend and I'll pull the motor/ tranny. He wants the rest back for selling for scrap later on. Cant complain about that.

Motor turns free by hand and was on the road daily until '99 when he parked it. He had rebuilt the motor in 97 so he thinks he has maybe 10, 000 on the rebuild.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure what the build plan is yet except to keep it on the lean and have it on the road for spring.

[​IMG]

I've developed a little thing for 57 fords of late, something therapy wont cure.

2. F&J

F&J

I've always liked the 57 2dr wagon, the Ranchero and the Skyliner...and... :)

Where's the rot? Wow that's a good one.

The side stainless trim looks different on yours compared to the 2dr wagons I have looked at....or am I dreaming? Where there different trim level on the 2dr wagon?

3. Malarky

Malarky

One day I will own a 57 ford. Nice wagon, good luck with it. Oh the potential:rolleyes:.

4. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Just a heads up for ya'..........................You won't like that 1974 or so, smog era
    F E motor, and a 360 to boot..........................BUT, it does beat no motor!

5. I'm a 57 fan. Great project. The 360's weren't know for being great but they respond to mods like most engines. I see this as being a fun project.

6. von zipper

von zipper

sweet!!! good luck! I just missed out on a '59' [DAMM RECESSION!]

7. Lono

Lono

yeah, Your right but the price was right... and i can drive it home.
    :eek:

8. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Are you going to keep this Ford, or is it an informercial, like your last Ford.....

9. Lono

Lono

Dont know buds. I call it a project, not the final car I'll ever own. Does it really matter?:rolleyes:
    I might:
    keep it
    sell it
    build it on the lean so I can donate it to a charity
    build it as a gasser
    build it as a low rider

I might just enjoy building and might post about the build, but only if it doesnt offend you Frankie

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  10. hemifarris

hemifarris

Nice project. I like those '57 wagons.

11. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

No sir it doesn't offend me, sorry for the cold print. I followed your previous thread and thought you liked what you had...then bam for sale.
    I can't let go of them as easy I suppose, good luck with this endeaver.

12. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Looks like a great project, and I agree, you can't beat the price of the motor. It should be easy to drop it in. Also, I think the Gasser idea is cool. Lotta lowered cars out there, not so many Gassers.

13. Lono

Lono

Dont get me wrong on the fairlane.. Love it to bits! I had line on a retractable and tried to dig up the money to buy it. dint make it on time..

So I keepin de fairlane...
    ...and the Ranchero ;)

One day when i win the lottery I'll become a nasty horder who'll fill a couple freakin chicken barns with evey car I've every wanted or lusted after. for now, I still need to buy and sell.

14. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

Good looking long roof! Good score on the motor as well. Cheap is always the best cost....

15. Lono

Lono

A gasser with a 360 would be the last across the line I'm sure. It could be built for looks i guess but when it comes to looks, I do like em low...

[​IMG]

( just need to find me a surfboard...)

[​IMG]

16. Racewriter

Racewriter

That 360 will respond nicely to a basic cam/intake/4-barrel job. I had one several years ago that I put the Edelbrock Performer Package on. Made a world of difference. It's still a Ford FE, after all.

17. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

The nice thing about the 360 is its an FE, so it would be simple to upgrade to a 390 or 428 down the road. Here is a Gasser version.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  18. Lono

Lono

19. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Ho, you unnasand da kine! Mahalo!

20. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I really miss mine. It was a great driver but without inside storage I could see the handwriting on the wall....

[​IMG]

Keep us up to date on the build.

21. nice find would love to have a ranch wagon beside my 57 sedan i have some 57 parts (just sayin)

22. Lono

Lono

Winter... alas. Its what we have to put up with to enjoy cruising ( except for some of them kama'aina ;) :cool:

23. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hey it gets cold in Hawaii too. Last January I saw some people at a car show that had to put on flannel shirts 'cause it got all the way down to 58 degrees.:eek::D We sacrifice for our love of cars.:rolleyes:

24. Lono

Lono

I remember '88 in Capt Cook, it was so cold at Christmas the beer cans didnt sweat!

25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

See? You understand the things we have to put up with! lol
    Wish I could find one of those wagons over here though. The '55, '56, & '57 Fords are my favorites. Y'all are lucky in that stuff is still relatively easy to find and go get. A non running car costs around $5000 to ship over here. Then we have to deal with the weather going down to the port to pick it up.:D

26. Nooooooo!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  27. Lono

Lono

The trim tags say it was once grey and white something like this...

[​IMG]

Today I had some time to kill so I started pealing off the flakey blue to see what's hiding under it.

Not enough filler to mention but lots of the original grey paint still intact.
    The panels are good and straight and no pinholes showing up under the headlight pots.

A little bubbling on the passenger fenderwell but very minor. Looks so far like the rust issue remains the floor panles. The rockers and inside rockers and quarters are sweet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just thinking ahead... shave the hood and nose. Gotta pull that grill and start thinking that way... 54 chev... stock.. tube... guess we'll see down the road.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  28. gaspumpchas

gaspumpchas

Thats a beauty!! Don't know how far u are going with the 360, but do at least replace the valve seals- they break up and sometimes wind up in the oil pump...love the gasser version..good luck...

gaspumpchas

"you can't mess with the law, Milner.."- Officer Holstein