Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 Chevy 210 - 4dr - school me please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cederholm, Aug 27, 2010.

1. cederholm

cederholm

Going to check out a '53 Chevy this Sunday. Says it runs and drives well, mostly stock with some new part in it. What should I check for? Any special issues I should consider?

Thanks all!

2. CarolinaHawk

CarolinaHawk

If it was created in 53 it should be great. The same year I was lol

Sorry no real help to your questions

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

rockers rust, behind the rear wheel wells, trunk pan and floor boards.

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

take her for a drive..see how well it shifts..those 3 on the tree can get really sloppy..
    not a huge problem, but something you will have to fix if you keep it stock.

look for trans leaks, and rear seal leaks, oh and front seal leaks..they end up getting the underside really well oiled

5. Tin Can

Tin Can

check the body mounts on the body too

6. 53Rags

53Rags
    from BC Canada

Exactly the same year and model as Rags.

- If it's a three in the tree, the shifter may be a little flakey - check the linkage under the hood.
    - You'll find that the steering can be adjusted so it is nice and tight going straight ahead, but gets sloppy as hell at the extreme left and right. Don't sweat it - that's just the way it is.
    - If it has its original 235 inline, you can still buy most engine parts for it - Chev produced that engine from the 40s through to 62.
    - Check the rockers all the way around - the body appears to have been designed to collect dirt and evergreen needles in there.
    - The hardest parts to find are the vent tubes under the hood and the grille surround. If anyone has a source for the grille surround pieces, PLEASE let me know.
    - If you buy it, you can download the entire manual here -> http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1949_53/index.htm ... many thanks to Keith Hardy for this awesome resource.
    - Be prepared to be interrupted constantly while you work on it by people who stop by and tell you "My [insert relative here] used to have one of these." and want to reminisce about the long drives they took as a kid.

We love our 53, and judging by the looks, thumbs-ups, and waves, so do the general public.

7. atomickustom

atomickustom

If it's been in New York a long time then rust is a main concern. Look carefully at the trunk floor right at the very back by the latch.

If the front end wanders around and it steers sloppy keep in mind that rebuilding the front end can get expensive (a couple hundred bucks in parts alone, if memory serves).

Most parts can now be bought new, so don't worry too much about little things like a door handle or radio knob. It's the frame, body, and drivetrain that matter.

Side glass is cheap to replace, but a windshield or rear window will set you back a few hundred if you have it installed, and a couple hundred if you install it yourself.

I can't think of anything else. Good luck!

8. cederholm

cederholm

priceless info all ~ thank you!

btw - it's an automatic. I shoulda mentioned that, sorry.