Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flipper's Bonneville Trip and the scenic way back.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flipper, Aug 22, 2010.

1. 2002p51

2002p51

Flipper - HAMB's very own Ansel Adams!

Great thread man, great photos, thanks for the effort.

2. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Denise (Hotrodladycruiser) is the inspiration behind the epic picture thread. I love her trip reports!

I tried to talk my way into the Speedway museum at 10:00 in the morning with no luck. She could have done it.

3. bikeguydave

bikeguydave
    from Kentucky

Thanks Flipper!, GREAT pictures, take me with you next time!, Hell, I feel like I went this time. Thanks again.

4. dmw56

dmw56

Thanks for the great pictures Flipper. Saw several people's car I know. I'm going to have to tag along with them one year!

Love Boneheads art work it's awesome!

5. :) Flipper, it was a pleasure running into you at the Salt. Nice pic's, I can see your into the geology of the eart also! Glad you enjoyed your trip! Next year, same time, same Salt! Crow.

6. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Its hard not to love the land out there.

7. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I'm already jonesing for next year. The daughter is going then. Hopefully it will be in the boat tail.

8. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

Flipper, It was great seeing you and your son out there, cheering us on. Ultimately, we established 2 records and helped that Avanti set one also. My guess is that despite the cool cars and scenery, the most important thing about the trip was the time you had with your son. As time fades on, that's what he'll remember. Going next year with your daughter will be a hoot! Stop by and we'll put you both to work!
    [​IMG]

9. 18n57

18n57

Was that the Avanti with the Aussie crew??

10. Mench

Mench

super trip and pics...see who need to travel overseas when we have so much to see in the good ole USA

mench

11. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

No, that was David Livesay from San Jose California with his wife Rosa. He was racing a supercharged 259" Stude v8 and established the class record.

12. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

How fast did he go? ...and what did you guys finally end up with for a top speed?

13. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

I think his record was in the 140's. Our top speed was about 135, but the record was a little slower (an average). We'll go a lot faster next year after the engine is refined on the dyno.......

14. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Great shots and thanks for taking the time to upload them. If anyone ever asks your kid about his summer trip, he can just tell them to Google "Flippers Bonneville Trip" and then read the HAMB.

Moab Rules!! If you like sunrise/sunset shots, make sure your in arches REAL early or stay late.

40Stude, Thanks for the advice on MOAB, Jen and I go there at least once a year.

This is a "difficult" hike in the guide book and it was the wifes first hike, on her first visit to Arches. Let's just say that she was not to happy about half way up, but she picked the trail & I didn't say a word. As we walk down this trail, we tell people on the way up that it is completely worth the hike, even though it is tough.

[​IMG]

And on this part of the trail is about a 40 foot drop off on the left of the picture and it is only about 3-4 feet wide......It will make you kinda' nervous walking it.
    [​IMG]

Is this the temp?
    [​IMG]

When you were stuck, did they have to call the "tow truck"? Or did someone just pull you out with a chain? Just wondering, because I have heard of the $500 minimum tow charge to get you unstuck from the lake.
    [​IMG]

Morning sunrise shots on the salt are almost "spiritual", just turn off the radio and you can almost hear the sun rising over the earth.
    [​IMG]

15. Flipper, it was nice to meet you and put a face to the name. However, did you really have to put a picture of my fat a$$ for the world to see?

Doug

16. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Yep. Cold and wet in Leadville, CO. The elevation of the town is 10,200 feet! It influenced my decision to not camp there as planned. :)

No tow truck. The SCTA guys working the entrance pulled me out. I was within 20 ft of the pavement. He never got his truck off asphalt. I am sure they got a chuckle out of it.

17. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I'm anxious to make this trip again. This time with my daughter.

The little red car we took on this years trip is no more (totalled in a head on collision :(). ....but I replaced with the new version of that same platform and this one has cruise control. It should make make crossing Nebraska nicer :).

18. wrayeugene49

wrayeugene49
    from eugene,or

Wow...thank you for the truly remarkable travelogue.....hope to see you on the salt next year...!!

19. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Well, the time has come for me to take my daughter to Bonneville. I'm anxious as hell!

20. barqsnut

barqsnut
    from Pearl, MS

I'm looking through this post and find I had been here before and had even left a comment. The irony is that one year later I found myself unemployed and loaded up my trusty Suburban and headed my ass to Bonneville. I was so excited I drove 1151 miles the first day-from Jackson, MS to Cuba, NM. As you might guess, my avatar is from that trip. If you haven't been, stop putting it off. I'm too lazy and technically inept to post pics, but I do have a few albums on my facebook page (Dave Richey) and they should be public.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  21. The37Kid

The37Kid

WOW! What a great collection of photos. I have no idea how I missed this thread, real glad I found it. Bob

22. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Yeah, hard to believe it has been five years already.

Last time I wasted some time trying to get to Speedway Motors at the right time for the museum tour...didn't work. This time I'm putting in all 1,734 miles in one day.

23. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Flip--You taking a similar path back home? Those pics are just awesome. Come and look for me in Inspection this year. My daughter comes with me as well and works in the SCTA Trailer selling Event Shirts etc........

24. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

We will probably take another route. I wasn't all that impressed with Colorado. ...maybe see more of Utah and then haul ass home? or go to Vegas and Grand Canyon and then haul ass home?