Register now to get rid of these ads!

Truck might go to Australia, I have a question though.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TMoney, Aug 19, 2010.

1. truck

truck
    from Brisbane

You think that maybe he wants the licence copy to actually verify that the truck is titled in your name? Be stuffed if i'd send some random money without knowing that what he is selling is actually his to sell.

2. You obviously have not seen in the last 6 weeks what is happening in Oz regarding bring in anything modified.

Tmoney
    I would rather not sell my truck to OZ if I knew it could go under the crusher.
    Must be plenty of suitable buyers in the States.

stevzrodz
    NZ is entirely different to what is happening in OZ now.

3. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

I have brought many cars from the U.S. into Canada and I can tell you he definitly needs a copy of the title. U.S Customs requires this to be sent to them a minimum of 72 hours before the vechicle leaves the country. U.S Customs checks the car for leins before it leaves.

4. hey lifestylz, everyone here has heard about the import law changes. it is in every magazine, on the tv, even the politicians have been pushing it , seeing as though there is an election this weekend!

as i said, if the guy can get the approval, he can ship the car.

but getting back to the topic, i wouldnt give too much paperwork away until the car is paid for in full.

5. stevzrodz

stevzrodz

I know OZ is having there own problems at the moment, but when I shipped cars to NZ last year, I had to have a copy of the sellers licence for the vehicles to leave the US, for US customs,so I can see why he wants that, also needed the actual title, not a copy, so I dont know why he wants a copy?

6. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Please if you have NO experience with this why post?

Title is needed to get import approval
    Bank account to wire money
    DL - well thats just plane good sense if you are wiring thousands of $ around the world.

I imagine you have been chatting with him on the phone etc, how many scams do that?

7. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Too many trigger happy dudes posting who have never done a overseas sale.
    If you have the money and still hold the car there is nothing worry about.
    Even if you did find you were ripped off all you do is report the scam and car details to US Customs it will never be able to leave the country.
    US Customs even hold up clean cars sometimes when there is an alert out.

Money wiring is a way of doing business the world over.

8. well said.

9. Well it's not even so much a law change.
    It is an enforcement of an old law of 4 or 5 years ago. :)

10. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There has been a few sledges on us Aussies here of late so please understand we will respond to those!!

Is that the truck in your Avatar TMoney?

If so it looks like it has NO chance of getting in. I sure hope the guy has done his research....

11. My sentiments exactly.
    I'm not exactly green on imports regs.
    I do have a car import business.

12. 2manyprojects

2manyprojects

Whats is the average cost to ship a car from say lower CA. to Aus. was thinking of bringing a few of my rides over. I plan 0n on being there about two years with a chance on just staying.

13. 2manyprojects
    If they are modified .. Forget it.
    Oz has lost the plot.

14. yeah , thats true, but now the bean counters have decided to interpret it in a way thats trying stop the import of cars with any mods whatsoever.

i registered my '67 'burb on wednesday in victoria and the supervisor at the rego branch told us that ''this was just the type of car that the goverment was trying to legislate against". LHd, bigblock, custom paint etc , etc.

15. too right!

16. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure if this would attract the same issues but you would not be allowed to sell them here if you did bring them in as your personal property, well thats how it used to be.

Cost is normally about $3500 a car if you get someone to do all the work plus taxes etc. It can be done cheaper if you fill a 40fter and do the work yourself.

17. TMoney

TMoney

That's the truck. I explained to the guy that I thought it wouldn't get in (dropped axle, airbags, later motor, th350, '70 GM 4-linked rear) but he said he would take care of everything and get it in "no problem." He didn't really sound like too much of a car guy though as I talked to him more.

18. I would suggest that the buyer has done No or Little research about getting it into the country. It could cost him big time.

19. TMoney

TMoney

Well too many things just seemed a little off to me. My bank said don't do it today and I guess that was the last straw. I told him I couldn't do it. Just getting things together to get the import permit has been a major uptaking. Maybe I'll stick with buyers a little closer to home.

On that note, who wants to buy a custom '54 Chevy pickup? :D

20. LabRat

LabRat

TMoney , You have to go with your gut feeling and I respect that ....
    But I hope this sort of thing does'nt create a stigma about selling cars to OZ .
    There is a guy on the HAMB who lives in the US , Tall Paul he does inspections and sales / exports so if it concerns guys selling to OZ you could deal with someone like him at the buyers expense ...

21. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I'd say you have probably done this guy a massive favour by canning the sale.
    I am sure he would have been nailed in OZ big time if he tried to import it.
    I'd say he owes you a beer at least.

22. Aushotrods

Aushotrods

if he was keen, you can apply for import approval prior to purchasing the car, it apparently takes two weeks to get either an approval or rejection. all he needed to do was send in a pic of the car (with the bags up!) making it look as stock as possible and basically try his luck! i know of a couple cars snuck in like that.
    so fuckin glad i got mine in before this shit happened! buying a car overseas is a big risk to both parties.

23. Even if you get it in, (not that I think it's possible), how do you get it registered for legal road use?

24. Aushotrods

Aushotrods

like every other car here! which is why these new 'rules' are so fuckin retarded! EVERY car here has to comply with certain regs and rules, so if something is deemed 'unroadworthy' when brought into the country, it wont be able to hit the road anyway...

25. I was referring to the deception suggestion ( all he needed to do was send in a pic of the car (with the bags up!) making it look as stock as possible and basically try his luck! i know of a couple cars snuck in like that.) ... Getting it road legal would be a stumbling block even if you manage to (trick?) the custom people.

26. YOU CAN IMPORT MODIFIED CARS AS LONG A YOU YANK THE ENGINE & TRANS (IF NOT STOCK) AND REMOVE MAGS THEN SHIP IN SEPARATE CONTAINERS. GUYS THAT HAVE BEEN REJECTED HAVE BEEN SHIPPING BACK TO THE U.S. AND N.Z. TO PART OUT AND RE SHIPPING. SO IT CAN BE DONE. ALSO A LOCAL GUY WAS RECENTLY KNOCKED BACK ON HIS TWO IMPORTED CARS AND HE BEAT THEM WITH A LETTER FROM A Queen's Counsel. THEY JUST FOLDED OVER AND TOLD HIM TO PICK UP THE CARS, SO NOW THE DEPARTMENT OF INFRASTRUCTURE HAVE LEFT THEM SELVES WIDE OPEN FOR A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT WHICH IS HAPPENING AS I TYPE. - RYAN FORD

27. This is a summary of what's going on now.
    The Federation has advised that the new policy implementation can be summarised as follows:

Original and unmodified factory specification or restored to factory specifications vehicles manufactured prior to 1 January 1989 can be imported without restriction. Import approvals will be granted as per the previous policy.

Modified vehicles originally manufactured prior to 1 January 1989 can only be imported if the owner can demonstrate that the modifications were completed prior to 1 January 1989. Import approvals will only be granted after the department is satisfied that the modifications are pre 1989.

Modified vehicles originally manufactured prior to 1 January 1989 can not be imported if the modifications were completed after 1 January 1989, or if the owner can’t demonstrate to the satisfaction of the department that the modifications were completed prior to 1 January 1989.

The date of manufacture will be reset as the date the modifications were completed and if the that date is post 1989 the application will be rejected.

The impact on enthusiasts wishing to privately import modified vehicles is significant, as they now have to prove any modifications to their vehicles were completed prior to 1 January 1989.

People contemplating importing modified vehicles in to Australia should heed the departments warning and not attempt to import such a vehicle before obtaining a vehicle import approval.

28. yes but like i said you can import them as parts.

29. Regarding the splitting of vehicles as you suggest.

Customs replied ...We'll put a watch on you and confiscate the parts ..:eek:

And it gets worse.

The NSW RTA is proposing changes to the current registration system for modified vehicles. These changes will mean that the majority of modified vehicles will be classified as individually constructed and will have to comply with the ADR's current on the day that it goes for registration. Please follow the link below and sign the petition to assist us in taking the fight to the NSW Transport Minister . Don’t forget to forward this email to all your family and friends and ask them to sign it on your behalf.

http://www.gopetition.com/online/37707.html

30. Well i'll keep everyone posted on the class action lawsuit.