Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car Crash In Burbank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by <FANG>, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Dead right. You never know who the real heroes are until the shit hits the fan big time.

2. I also heard in the video the 4 heros tried to pull Bob through the window,,,he was wearing a old fashion seat belt,,I guess that means a lap belt they unbuckled the belt after prying the door open and pulled him to safety.

Thank God there is something on the news that shows people are willing to step in and offer aid and assistance to help their fellowman in life threatening situations. HRP

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  3. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

One thing with Carbon Dioxide or Halon fire extinguishers: they'll kill you as quickly as they'll kill a fire, if you are in an enclosed space.

This probably won't happen in a simple car wreck, but something to bear in mind.

Dry Powder or foam is probably a better all round extinguisher for a car, but ANY extinguisher is better than a smouldering wreck.

4. TexasDart

TexasDart

Probably another !@#$ texter causing the accident. Did you all hear about that Plastic Surgeon going off PCH and died while texting...geez...put down the !@# phone and drive. Friend of mine got rearended by a guy texting just the other day. The 32 did hold up pretty well considering how hard the person hit it. Pray for a speedy recovery...burns are tough.

5. seriouslybaby

seriouslybaby
    from small town

OH MY GOSH! the hair is still standing up on my neck!! thank God for those people who risked their lives without even thinking about it!! Praying for a quick, painless recovery!!

6. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I have often thought about this type of thing happening to me in my 28 Ford Sedan with a 5 inch chop. The gas tank is right behind the back seat, the car is not a beefy as a 32. If I get rear ended and can not get out by myself it will be hard for a rescuer (hopefully there is one) to get me out. I surely wont get pulled through the windows. The problem of gas tank placement is a big problem on these cars. If you have saddle tanks you are in danger from side collisions, rear mounted, danger from rear end collisions, stock location in cowl, the engine can rupture the tank in a head on. No room underneath the car. Oh Well it's fun to drive.

7. ezdusit

ezdusit

This sure is a reminder that our cars are not as safe as the latest ones with their controlled crushing crash protection and airbags. All we can do is be vigilant and hope we don't encounter one of the negligent, inattentive, texting idiots that populate our roads. My prayers go out to the victim for a quick and complete recovery.

8. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

What a terrible accident. I'm just glad that everyone will be okay in a little time.
    As for the door handles, the pictures show that this Vicky had door handles so like many of you have said, the door probably jammed from the rear end collision.

Fire extingishers are great and I'm sure that many of you will go out and buy one and mount it in your car and then........................ forget about it. You have to check them often to make sure they are full and operable.

Mike

9. ride00007

ride00007
    from Illinois

Damn that's scary. I'm glad the driver was saved. My hats off to the heros in this.

10. ken bogren

ken bogren

For ordinary folks to take this risk to help save another is outstanding. These people are real heros in my book.

In all of our cars, we carry a tool designed to cut seatbelts and break windows. We also have fire extinguishers in our old cars.

11. Special Ed

Special Ed

As often as the word "hero" is misapplied these days, it is nice to see it used for these gentlemen. They are definitely heroes in my book....

12. fbama73

fbama73

SOOO glad to hear that Bob is on the mend!!!! Anyone out there who knows him, add me to the long list of well wishers you report to him.

And the people who pulled him out? Yeah, heroes for sure. You never know for sure until it happens, but I sure hope I'd do the same thing. I hope more that I never get the chance to find out!

I hope he sues the shit out of the moron who hit him. Not as a financial thing, but as a punishment thing, since you know the legal system won't do anything to them.

I hope Bob doesn't lose his enjoyment of rodding. I hope he either fixes the Vicky, or gets another car. Sure, that's damned trivial in light of everything else- but we're a bunch of car people, so it's not totally out of place here.

And please stop feeding that troll- even if he got banned, stirring up shit was his only goal. Don't give him the satisfaction

13. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Glad the driver is OK. This might make some people to rethink there gas tank's. I can tell you my new model A will be getting a fuel cell instead of a plain ol gas tank.

14. A very bad situation with a good outcome thanks to some very good Californians who risked their lives to help their fellow man. Your state has some very good people in it and I've never had a bad encounter with anyone out there when I visit. In fact the drivers are more courteous than the ones up around here. Just the fact that there are millions of them on the road everyday and entire freeway system isn't one big smoking wreck amazes me.

This accident reminds of when HAMBERS swanwaco32 and basicbob got rear ended by a Ford pickup in 2005 a few miles from the LARS on I-10 in John's Deuce roadster pulling a Mullins trailer. The pickup rammed them under the back of a big truck and Bob said there was a 30' circle of gas around them but it never caught fire although the rear frame, spreader bar and tongue of the trailer were digging into the concrete. I'm guessing there was so much oil and rubber on the freeway it didn't spark! They were very lucky to walk away from that one. When I'm in one of my Deuces that gas tank back there makes me nervous in traffic. I would buy a stock appearing '32 tank with a bladder/fuel cell in it if someone would make one.

Just this last weekend my wife and I were returning from Ft. Worth, Texas where I bought a late model GMC pickup. In a two lane construction zone on I-35 we came to a stop in traffic behind a semi-truck. I was in my new pickup with my wife behind me in her Dodge minivan. I always leave some extra room in front of me in those situations and I was watching in my rear view mirror as an approaching belly dump semi-truck came up behind us. He wasn't going that fast but as he approached us it became apparent he was not slowing down enough to a stop. It happened very fast but I managed to pull my pickup ahead and off the road to the right as much as I could and my wife pulled as far forward to the left against the center barricade when our movement must have made the dumb ass wake up or get off his cell phone to hit the brakes in a full panic stop. A cloud of brake dust and tire smoke billowed out as he turned off the road to the right and came to a stop jack knifed a few feet behind my wifes van. She said she was waiting for the impact which would have pushed her into me. If the guy hadn't finally seen us he would have hit us both with the full force of his semi into the back of another one with us in the middle. I think he was empty otherwise he would have never stopped and we would be "toast". It scared the shit out of us and him too because he stayed about a 1/4 mile behind us after that. It makes you want to never leave home with drivers like that out there! It makes me wonder how we've survived 50,000 miles in a roadster!

One more thing, why do the majority of the Texas drivers drive in the passing (left) lane and pass in the right lane?
    Just asking.

15. Tommy R

Tommy R

That's the $64 question right there. Wish I knew the answer!

16. Thank god for good samaritans.

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

One more thing, why do the majority of the Texas drivers drive in the passing (left) lane and pass in the right lane?
    Just asking.[/QUOTE]

its not just a Texas thing..its an idiot thing..we have the same idiots here in Michigan too

18. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a letter opener and I would not trust it to cut a seat-belt in an emergency. The purpose-made seat-belt cutters have a larger opening and a bigger blade.

19. Jerry, some states stipulate it, especially with truck traffic to even out the wear on asphalt roads.

Glad you and Janet are OK!

20. He hasn't been banned,,it was just a suggestion on my part,,he definatly is not one of us. HRP

21. big creep

big creep

yea the letter opener would work! but this is better! i posted it before.
    http://www.resqme.com/

22. I have a friend of 45 years that is here today because of two guys helping him from a burning GMC burb. He was hit head on at 45 mph and knocked out. The two guys bent the jammed door down at the belt line and un hooked him an drug him thru the hole left from the door being bent down. The rescures had fire at their feet the whole time. I think we have a ton more good guys than bad. The bad guys get the press.

23. This thread has touched a nerve with me,,

My dad had just passed away and my daughter was going to a friends home to borrow a dress because she was 7 months pregnant and couldn't fit in anything she owned that would be suitable for her grandfathers funeral.

Before she got to her friends house a drunk in a F250 Ford truck crossed the center line and hit her head on ,,,she was in a Honda civic with her 2 year old in the back seat,,,the car caught fire and the driver of the pick ran.

Had it not been for a brave off duty fireman that pulled my unconscious daughter out and went back for my granddaughter we would have had multiple funerals,,,

I have a health granddaughter and grandson today ,,my daughter is alive and has overcome a lot of head trauma,,she will never be the same as before but I thank God for her life being spared and a cretin fireman that says he really didn't do anything special. HRP

24. Tommy R

Tommy R

I wanted to quote that little bit 'cause I strongly feel the same way.

25. the video really sends chills up your spine for the guy in the 32', the guys that stood up to help actually shows the true side of human nature. makes you wonder stop wondering what was the most important fact saving the guy, the fire exstinguisher, the crow bar, the fact their was somebody in close proximity? better look straight up for the answer!

26. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I always keep an eye in the rear view mirror as much as I look forward. Look out for the idiots who can't see for themselves.

I remember riding a motorcycle in France, Paris ring road, in the pouring rain one summers evening. Something happened up ahead and the minibus thing in front of me panic braked and started spinning and sliding all over the road, hit the divider wall etc.

I was far enough back to slow and avoid hitting him easily enough, but as soon as I hit the brakes I was in my rear view mirrors, and I knew the clown behind me was not in good shape. I managed to get my bike off to the side as he slid through where I had been a second earlier, and he ran plumb into the back of the van that has been spinning.

If I'd not looked behind, I'd have been the tender part of a motorcycle sandwich!

27. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

And as for seat belt cutting tools, the ones we used when skydiving were good, for cutting parachute cords. They had a two hole grip for your fingers, much less chance of slipping, plus a slightly wider slot, all the easier for cutting a double up belt.

28. stromberg

stromberg

A friend was telling me there is a traffic camera video of this crash, has anybody seen it or can post a link to it? I havn't been able to find it anywhere.

30. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Ya know I'm surprised no ones done that already.

The only quirk i have about my 32 is the tank hanging out the ass end but there's really no good place to move it to. It does make me more watchful of others tho.