Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rustoleum paint job follow up...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr. Cool, Oct 11, 2009.

1. terry48435

terry48435

Man, that looks really nice,good work.....
    I was debating on doing mine in rustoleum.I already did the chassis. You helped me decide to go for it.
    I plan on similar sheen,maybe a little more of a satin finish in black. You think if I use 1 qt of gloss and 2 qts of flat, that I'll achieve the satin finish?

2. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Oh man! You totally ruined that rat rod, you painted it, I 'm not sure the thing is a proper rat any more, hehe, it turned out really nice too. Much nicer than iron oxide. Looks factory.

3. Toner283

Toner283

Cool stuff. Most of us are on a budget & this looks like a good driver alternative to a $5000 paint job.

4. Muttley

Muttley

The only people who will give you a hard time about it are professional paint/body guys who are upset you didnt shell out $5000+ to them for a paint job.

5. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

I have to agree, there is nothing wrong with a $30 paint job when it turns out like that. Would be interested in how it has held up since you sprayed it.

6. Three qts flat white, three quarts of satin whitee and 1 qt safety yellow thinned 25% with laquer thinner got me this......

Attached Files:

MO_JUNK likes this.
  7. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Paint looks great but I don't like the broken on the ground look. Definately NOT right out of the '60's

8. Cruizer53

Cruizer53
    from oregon

Great job there Mr. Cool. I used John Deer Blitz black for my 53 ford and hate it, looks like I should have gone with Rustoleum. By small bottle of hardener are you talking about 6oz per 2 qt of paint?

Regards...

9. scoop

scoop

Looks good,doing the same to my pickup in hammered gray.

10. Rumbles

Rumbles

great color! anyone else messed around with mixing different Rustoleum colors and come up with something cool looking?

11. had this old truck and decided to roll on some van sickle john deere yellow from a farm store,first pic is as bought [​IMG] after and not bad for a 30 buck job [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  12. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

These paint ideas are great. Think I'll do the truck soon that burgunty (spel) looks nice.

13. sonim38

sonim38

dont use acetone use their specialty reducer its better and actually meant for thinner their paint.

14. ooops

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  15. 69supercj

69supercj

I WILL be doing this to my '66 F-100!! Right now its in black primer and is fading really bad. Do you guys think I should prime it again with a known type of primer, I bought it this way and have no idea as to what they used.

16. I rember untill the mid 70,s most cars were shot in straight enamel:)
    I rember painting tons of old stuff just out of body school after i got the big building in 1972 charging $65 for the whole job paint and labor:eek:

enamel if always perdictable after you got used to it and I hated the change to acrylic and base clear, but much improvements have taken place on paint technology

would guess we have had a little inflation from that time:mad:

17. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

The only thing I personally don't like about it is the color, and that's just flavor. It looks great, judging from the pictures. If you would have posted that in a different thread without mentioning it's an el cheapo paint job, I highly doubt anyone would notice. Quite the opposite, I'd bet you get a bunch of compliments on putting a nice paint job on a driver hot rod.

18. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

i like that color, i was thinking of doing my car something like that.

19. re49

re49

I kind of skipped through this fast. Did anybody answer the question about color sanding and buffing? Will any trash/bugs etc. rub out?

20. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Really like the car---period. 3 years later and I still like it----sure as hell ain't no rat.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  21. gofaster

gofaster
    from georgia

Yea man, nice paint and great car.

22. jasone

jasone

Awesome money saver.

23. ooops

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      265.3 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      242.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  24. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

The model T Fords were painted with a brush, Then rubbed out. yours looks great

25. rebelrat

rebelrat

Good looks and cheep, can't go wrong and I love the color

26. gmc1941

gmc1941

That's one hell of a paint job. Great color!! I ust bought two qts of DP-90 and the activator $115.00 and that will probably only paint half the coupe (39). And I really like the car.

27. This was 4 parts gray, one part hunter green, & one part satin black.

Turned out pretty good without sanding & buffing.

JH

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

OK, I don't feel so "rat rod" now! I shot mine with Ace Hardware Satin Hunter Green spray bombs. The idea was to protect it and get it on the road with a re-do this winter. After all the comments I have been getting at the local spots (and they are all street rod guys) I think I'll just shoot it with the same stuff but a gun this winter. The paint laid down great, hid alot, and the panels were shot at numerous different times. I have done some detailing (shifter knob, steering wheel, etc. ) with a gloss and found I was better suited and matched better by spraying the satin and then a gloss clear over it.
    [​IMG]

And yes, I already know I need different rims and tires, but those came with the parts and pieces!

29. The rims and tires don't look bad. Paint them red and everyone on here will love it...lol