Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chucksdart, Aug 18, 2010.

1. chucksdart

chucksdart
    from Mo.

Remove the windshield frame from the windshield on my coupe ? It's a chrome frame like speedway sells and the glass needs replaced . I have no idea what kind of sealer/adhesive is holding it in . Is there some kind of solvent to try ? Would a heat gun be a good idea ? I'm sure it's been done before , just not by me . I sure would like to re-use this frame and save $300 bucks . Also , what's a reasonable price to pay a glass shop for the glass on a 3 window coupe ? Thanks :confused:

2. 53ash

53ash
    from Plano, TX

You might be able to take a knife blade or a razor blade and run it through the sealant. I have cut out windshields on other cars that way. Your glass shop might take it out and replace it for you. Flat glass isn't too pricey. Just shop around some.

3. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

The windshield should be installed in glass pack. It will soften with Lacquer thinners. Run a little around each side and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Then you should be able to lift off the top rail. The you can lift the glass out of the lower section. If you need to run a razor knife around between the frame and the glass. That glass shouldbe arond $150.00 to replace. The Old Tinbasher

4. chucksdart

chucksdart
    from Mo.

Thanks guys . I'll try it first thing in the morning .

5. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

try it , you ain't going to mess up the glass , nothing better then hands on . Just removed one out of a 56 olds . No biggie.
    good luck .