Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pocono Lodge 2010 Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old61, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Google Times Leader Pocono Drag Lodge for more.

2. stanzig44

stanzig44
    from Blakely PA

Had a Blast! Thanks to Charlie and everyone else involved.

Here are a few of mine from the Reunion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the link to the rest of them.

Also here is a video of Bob Bilbow's Lyndwood Welding Spl dragster engine start-up.

Enjoy.

-stan

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  3. badduce

badduce
    from aristes pa

thanks stan i own the deuce bag,i was surprised to see the cars you posted not in the other pics

4. Buster Brown 1

Buster Brown 1
    from Greeley

"Thanks for posting,...what's the history on this one?"

I don't know any of the history of the car, but I know it belongs to Mark Conforth, and (as far as I know) was striped by Charlie Decker, "The One Arm Bandit".
    Mark also owns the maroon '32 right below it in Stanzig's post. The roadster is the car that rolls over in "Hot Rod Girl".
    I can't really tell you too much more than that.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  5. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

Great !!!!!!!!!!

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Thanks for taking the photos, and thanks for noticing my car!

7. Belair-60

Belair-60

I can't begin to explain how good it was to see Bobbie Steiner again this year. I grew up with my Dad working at Bonner Chevrolet in Kingston. Chevys ruled. Bob was a good friend of his with a Phillips 66 station full of race cars and Corvettes. Other kids had sports heroes, Bob was mine. I would sit in that old 40's Ford wrecker he had at the starting line of Pocono. Right in the middle of everything. In say, 1966, I was 8. I can still feel how hot it was in the cab of that old small block Chevy powered Ford. And I can smell the oil leak it had. He brought me up a 8x10 of his first Lynwood this year!! Nothing but good times. I do remember going to see his smashed rail in 1964. I just remember a pile of parts and slicks on his trailer, that was a rail I guess. I remember his dad, Pop Steiner, saying to my Dad," if he wants to build another, I'm breaking his other freaking leg". I'm pretty sure they weren't sure he was going to make it for a few days. Do I remember that part right? I do know his right foot was almost off, and the leg broke a few places.

8. That may have been Steiner's last pass.

9. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

A few more:
    Reminder
    Lyndwood rail
    Ford in a Chevy
    Push-button drive, too!

Attached Files:

10. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

great video.....

11. Belair-60

Belair-60

I knew Bob never drove another rail. I asked him this weekend if he ever brought any of his vettes up to Pocono to run after the crash. He said he never ran anything there or anywhere else again. Just the demo derbys after that. Reading between the lines of a long story he said that made him realize his kids needed him around a long time. He stayed around fast cars though, thats where the money was. In around 1970 I was at his station one night . He pulled a 60-62 Vette with slicks and a straight axle out on Wyoming Ave in front of his station. Pulled the wheels 2 feet off the ground in first gear and nothing but rubber in second. He came back to do it again. First gear was 2 feet of rubber and then right in to second gear. The car stood almost straight up, he must have been already letting off, and I guess hit the gas again and it landed soft. He knew how to drive. He got out at his gas pumps holding his side from laughing with tears in his eyes, just as the cops pulled in. I thought we were all going to jail. But they knew him well. Think of that short tail on those early Vettes, they can stand WAY up before hitting a rear bumper.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  12. gaspumpchas

gaspumpchas

Cool story----sure was a great photo shoot, an unexpected pleasure!!!!

Wait till 2011....

Was great talking with ya sat

Charlie

13. Belair-60

Belair-60

Pocono didn't have as many cars this year as last. But it was the same weekend as a MUCH bigger , long running Bloomsburg multi day show. I know of at 15 people I know that went camping for the bloomsburg show, as they have for over ten years now. Now camping a night at Pocono, that would be great. Do cars have ghosts?

14. gaspumpchas

gaspumpchas

Need everyone's consensus before setting the date for next year. I think the meet was great, haven't had any complaints yet!! Sure could use your input on a date for next year!!!

Thanks

Charlie

15. No problemo, we don't need more street rods we need more old drag cars and old racers. IMHO.

16. WE have been blessed two years now with great weather, why change ? Same weekend as Wind Gap last year. Why not work with that bunch for a TRIPLE header ? Lyndwood Friday, PDL Saturday, WG Sunday.

17. George T G

George T G

That would make sence for the people that travel or have to dig out a vehicle that doesn't see sun light much.
    Also try to pick another rain free weekend.:D
    Hope next year car doesn't die on the way. After pulling the dist i found the cond wire came out of the condenser. Well now it has a new dist bacause I didn't like the dwell flucuation. Seems to rung just fine now. Hope to make the Phila show in Sept.
    GEORGE!!

18. Belair-60

Belair-60

Don't think that I was complaining. One hour at a car Cruise and I'm late for the door. I was at Pocono 7 hours last week.:) I did miss not seeing the old Vettes that sat on the shut down hill last year though. As for next year, I vote for the rain free day also. I've been shown you can accomplish a lot Charlie, but didn't know you can control the weather too. Now that is cool.:cool:

19. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

Charlie's a wizard!...Seriously, a good promoter! See you next year for sure Charlie..and looking forward to your being a guest on our live internet radio talk show.

Wally Bell Show, Wed. Nights at 7 eastern time.
    www.dragracersreunion.ning.com click on live radio.

20. That's a great idea Wally. There are a lot of "ghost" tracks where an event like this could happen. Charlie can provide great tips on how to accomplish such a feat.

21. billys54

billys54

22. Belair-60

Belair-60

The only suggestion I have would be to pick a Saturday, 1st, 2nd , 3rd or 4th Saturday of the month and hold it that day every year. That way you claim your ground. When ever its asked about through the year, some one could just say "its always the 3rd Saturday of August", or what ever Saturday or month you choose. That way, if someone is starting something new, they have to work around "your" date. If they're picking a date, someone may speak up and say, " bad date, that's always Pocono's Saturday" I heard Bloomsburg had 733 cars this year. That's tuff to compete with. Now me, there is nothing like Pocono. So maybe I'm just talking out my butt and you are dealing with to different groups of people any way. I know this, I could not have accomplished what you folks have in the last couple years.:)

23. Regarding conflict with "Bloomsburg" (and in the interest of fair reporting I've never been to that show) I think it's a different audience. I think your best bet is to work with the Wind Gap group to make it a nostalgia weekend happening.

24. Belair-60

Belair-60

I've been to Bloomsburg 3 or 4 times. I would say there were 4 or 5 old race cars at each one, that's about it. Its pretty much only a big car cruise. The last time I was there I'd say 1/4 of the cars were rice burners. They are of no interest to me, but hey, that's what the kids these days have to work with. As far as "competing" with Pocono, I pretty much only meant for spectators. They do bring in money, for the event and vendors.

25. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Looks like a great selection of quality cars showed up. Thanks for sharing.

Frank