Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy ON not IN a Ford (crossbreeding)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 69fury, Aug 14, 2010.

1. 69fury

69fury

The thread asking why anyone cares if people run a mill from another company (350 in a deuce) got me thinking:

Who's running engine parts from different manufacturers? I know there are adapter plates that let the Buick guys run Mopar RB intakes, (plates for Caddies, too). But i've heard of guys running Porsche heads cut/welded together on a subaru (straight 6 i think).

There's some type of very powerful tractor puller head swap that might be an IH head on a Case or Massey Ferguson (or some combo therein)

There are new Hemi heads being made by Nick Arias for the LS1, which i guess would allow you sell the LS1 heads to the guys that put them on ford engines nowadays. - I guess everyone has to step up a bit-, lol.....

Who out there is running a crossbreed? Import guys call them Frankenstein motors but with modern day turbo power, i think it's more trouble than it's worth unless their favored brand just cant be made strong enough

Anyone running or know of one that they've seen personally?

-rick

2. Yep, it is cool that Chevy gets to step up and get a decent block under their LS1 heads,,,,,, finally.
    :D

3. 69fury

69fury

or get to put a better head on the LS1 blocks, :p

-rick

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Well I had my Y block head on my '32 Plymouth banger. And now it's a '25 Olds 3 port on a '28 Chevy block. Can't forget the '26 Dodge Bros. with the Morton & Brett OHV conversion. This kind of stuff has been going on for years

Attached Files:

5. Phil1934

Phil1934

Folvo, '89-'90 (to '91 in Canada) Volvo B234 16v head on Ford 2.3. Mine's a stroker 2.5. :) Head flows 230/195 CFM on I/E. Conversion parts available from several sources, Pyropete's PBT Turbo and Performance store on Ebay being the main one. But get pulleys from Dr W as Pete's adapters require broaching and facing Esslinger pulleys. I'm patiently waiting on Geminiefi for the intake, blower and engine management. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449711&highlight=geminiefi

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I don't have any pictures of it but Al Liest ran in Jr. Fuel around here for some time using a 406 Bow Tie block with 351SCJ heads. Looked pretty strange. Now he is running in some kind of 7:00 heads up bracket with it.

7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey, can you guys post any details you may know about these different combinations as you name them?

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I know Al bought BHJ honeing plates drilled for both Ford and Chevy bolt patterns. He counter sunk the Chevy bolt holes and put STI inserts in the Ford holes. He decked the block slightly at an angle top to bottom and did the same with the honeing plates. Then he lapped them togeather. He didn't want the rings to hit the split line all the way round at the same time. Put the plates on the block and bored and honed it. Block is full of hard block for the top few inches. Water in the heads. He drilled through for oil return from the rockers. Any Questiones about the Y block/Plymouth or Morton & Brett/Dodge Bros. I can give very specific answers. The '25 Olds/'28 Chevy is new to my shop. But all of those have been covered here on the HANB allready.

9. teddyp

teddyp

now thats hot rodding

10. 62rebel

62rebel

hearkens back to blacksmiths and forges.... always looking for a better way!

look past "engine up front, trans behind that, driven wheels out back" and ideas will coalesce from everywhere.

if a bike builder can create a radial engine motorcycle.... what limits do car builders have?

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Better picture of Ford on Plymouth

Attached Files:

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Boy howdy I have a GT Hawk and a '53 half ton Stude projects. Like your work. Now I just need to win the lottery

13. I've heard of adapting small block Chevy ('57-'74) distributors to '49-'53 flathead Fords. There is a 6 cylinder Volvo rod that works for putting insert bearing in a Model A Ford engine.

14. 69fury

69fury

Awesome input, guys! I've heard of a few of these halfbreeds. As for this Folvo- Lucy-you got some 'splainin' to do....

what are the details on this one?

15. 62rebel

62rebel

something about using a Ford head (2.3 Lima?) on the Volvo block, i think... the parts-starved European rodders came up with it IIRC.

internal parts, pistons, rods, bearing inserts; they're all basically just PARTS that can be modified and swapped around almost universally... everybody talks about having chevy valves in whatever... a part is a part, and if it happens to match the "other guy's" dimensions, but is stronger or lighter.... roll with it. nobody seems to get all crossed up when the "universal" Borg Warner t5 is used everywhere!

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Not much call for it but amoung Packard V8 owners it's pretty well known that a kit is sold tp substitute an Olds 455 type oil pump for the stock weak sister oil pump. I have one.

17. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Amen! Hope this thread goes on for a long time.

18. rusted_nut

rusted_nut
    from Arkansas

It's the other way around (Volvo head on 2.3 bttm end).

19. You mean like the local guy who built a flat head Ford V8 and stuffed Chevy pistons in it, Chevy fuel injection on top, bolted a bush hog 90* gear drive to the back of it and then crammed it all in a Road King frame? How's that for crossbreeding?

20. 62rebel

62rebel

pics
    or it didn't happen!

yep, i had the folvo bassackwards.

Saab copied the slant4 Triumph engine and turned it backward for their fwd cars.... when i had O/T Triumphs i was working on adapting Saab ignition and fuel injection so i could lose the Lucas shit.

parts don't care. they're PARTS.

21. Gabriel Howard

Gabriel Howard
    from OKC
    1. Okie Hambers

this is why i love this website

22. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer
    BANNED

HRM just did an article on mickey thompson doin hemi heads for ford AND pontiac.. you oughta see the 3 piece articulated pushrods he came up with to clear the ports!

23. krooser

krooser

One of my old racing buddies ran the last few races of one season with one Ford piston in a 406 Chevy because he had one in his pile and he didn't want to spend the $$$ to buy a new Chevy piston...

24. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB

chev dizzy on a ford flathead...courtesy of bubbas hot rod shop!
    [​IMG]

25. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

A buddy and I were talking bout this last night, we are planning to swap his 500hp Nissan Turbo motor into his '50 Chevy pickup for a daily driver street strip terror using what he has around and some minor Fab work

26. indyjps

indyjps

ford distributor in an LS1 to go to carb and convert away from crank trigger
    Ford or chrysler lifters in chevy's
    Oldsmobile 350 rods in a sbc, old school way to get a 6" rod (actually built this one)
    lots of aftermarket cranks and rods are for chevy standard pistons
    "Honda" crank journals in sbc (nascar stuff)
    Lots of Ford AOD and Powerglide into non original applications

not much of this is traditional but its out there