Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The 1955-1956 Plymouth and Dodge Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrBelvedere2, Feb 12, 2009.

1. srj23

srj23
    from MD

Thanks for all the comments. Tried gas down the throat of carb to no AVAIL. Removed fuel line form fuel pump to cab....No gas. Thinking its a fuel pump or glog in the line...Going to change fuel pump and see what happens this weekend..Good luck with your project.

2. Millhead

Millhead

I had a '55 Plymouth Savoy 2dr ht about 33 yrs ago, it was 2 toned forest green and white. It was a mild custom lowered with skirts and wide whites. Had a flathead 6 which I changed to a Super Red Ram, a bolt in and used the six cylinder auto trans.
    Here is a cool tip fot the '55 Plymouth, the back up light look cool when you strip out the silver paint then repaint with candy red paint (rattle-can) then install a blue dot in the center. I did this to mine and when you hit the brakes at night the whole back pan under the truck lit up purple.
    Another little tip is the Foxcraft style skirts from a '49 50 Ford fit nice, just a little bend at the bottom where it rolls under.

3. 55_plymouth

55_plymouth
    from Ohio

Does anyone know of a good place to get front brakes for a 55 plymouth?

4. ramrod36

ramrod36
    from Upstate NY

55 plymouth If you want original brakes try Kanter Auto Products. If you want disk brakes try AAJ Brakes. I am running the AAJ Brakes kit on my 55 Suburban and they are a good product. As for Kanter, I have used some of their products on my suspension rebuild and have been satisfied. Both of the above businesses have web sites - just Google them.

lc

5. 55_plymouth

55_plymouth
    from Ohio

Thanks so much. Was having a tough time tracking these down.

6. torch2099

torch2099
    from SoCal

hey y'all,
    did Plymouth ever make a sedan delivery in '55 or '56?

thanks

7. No '55 or '56 factory Dodge or Plymouth sedan deliveries were built.

8. (((hey y'all,
    did Plymouth ever make a sedan delivery in '55 or '56?

thanks)))))

No...but go ahead and do one out of a two door wagon....
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

9. here's move day...relocating the 56 D-500 stock car I first saw in Oklahoma in about 1976 and finally bought it in - I think 2007 - from one of my storage lots along with a 1956 Beleveder parts car that came out of GA and made it/broke down? in Big D and it cramed full of alot of my 55-56 parts..

56 D-500 on wrecker.jpg

56 D-500.jpg

56 Belvedere.jpg

10. srj23

srj23
    from MD

11. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

I'll second the vote for the AAJ kit. Been running one on my 56 Plym for years.

12. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

What are you guys with stock motor mounts doing for stock replacements. I'm right now putting a 277 in my 56 plym in place of the 6 cyl that wiped a bearing. My future plans are to build a hot poly 318 and put it in. Anyway the motor mounts I have don't look the best, but the only place I can find them is exchange at Kanter for $215..EACH !!
    That just ain't happening. I'll fab up something else before I spend $450 on mounts. Insanity..

13. rbmain

rbmain
    from Newark, CA

Buy some later Plymouth 318 motor mounts, bolt to the block ears on your 277, and weld in new brackets to the frame to catch the long pin that passes through the motor mount. Plymouth tried six different kinds of motor mounts for early 318's 1956-64 trying to find one that wouldn't separate at the vulcanized interfaces. The doughnut compression type seems the most robust. Richard

14. blackrat454

blackrat454

Anyone know where I can get a new heater core for a 55?

15. 413coronet

413coronet
    from florida

Hey, that looks familiar. :rolleyes: Details on p. 21 of this thread.

blackrat 454, I took my heater core to a radiator shop and they recored it using the original tanks.

16. sohak

sohak

hey five oh thanks for giving me a lil history on my belveder i just got all the lights to work and the bumper brackets the front hood vent put new shoes in all 4 drumsand started to sand then the sun went down ..... pored some oil in air filter and runs like a dream . now have to reweld the rear buckets for the lights and FIND some bumpers and ill be road ready. sohak

17. Big Dad

Big Dad

Never , say never ..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

Is that for real or a blanked out wagon?
    Mike

19. sololobo

sololobo

Man, this thread just keeps on keepin on. I am debating if I need to sell my 56 tu-door Suburban wagon. It is a nice body with some rust, but not terminal, front headkights a little in rockers front floors. I have a ton of parts, nos steering wheel, new front end rebuild kit, new front lowering coil springs, interior trim galore, 3 sets of cool vintage seat covers to make over for interior, rebuilt 277 short block with 277 in car to complete the short block, set of 15" cop car wheels complete with trim rings and vented dogdish hub caps, two orig radios, deluxe dash trim, nos cowl vent handle, complete set of gauges and a 55 Plymouth dash to accept all the gauges-55 had all gauges 56 had idiot lights for amp and oil, extra speedometer, ribbed 56 Dodge interior door and window handles, 56 Dodge door panel trim for the doors which is much cooler than the Plymouth flimsy trim, I am having health issues and low funds, and no shop to build in. I would like to get 1,500.00 for all this stuff, is that realistic? My comrades on here have both sold the 56 tu-door wagons, they had, patrick66and roadrunner , both sold for very reasonable prices. What do you think gang, do you know a MoPar freak that would like to save this one? Give me some feedback if you have any opinions. Omaha, Ne. car. Picture of it in my profile. Thanx! ~Sololobo~

20. Bro, if I had the cash right now, I'd buy yours for the money.

21. Daryl, those two have to be built by a dealer or an owner. According to records from Chrysler Historical, they never built one from the factory...yeah, never say never, I know. In factory Dodge and Plymouth literature, no mention is mad whatsoever of a commercial body as a panel or sedan delivery. I have, however, seen a '56 Plymouth that had a factory-appearing solid panel where the back seat would've been in a two-door wagon, but it had side windows, like my car (and every other two-door wagon I've seen) had. I was going to build my car as a sedan delivery.

22. Big Dad

Big Dad

It may have never been a well known option but, in those days ..the factory would do almost anything to sell a car .

If a fleet requested a run of a certain number, they would produce them.

I can't tell you how many times I have heard the ol' they never made that and watched people provide proof that they did .

The guy who sent those photos to me said in fact the smaller picture of the two was a factory done car .

( it was on craiglist) and he sent the other picture to prove old pics existed

That being said, I don't know FOR SURE one way or another but , its possible that they were made

23. DAMN!, That is way cooler than any "tri-5" I have ever seen. Hope someone is going to restore that rusting hulk.
    JT

24. Kustom Kulture LI

Kustom Kulture LI
    from Amityville

While we're on the topic of wagons I've finally got mine to drive saturday morning. It's far from being road worthy but it was still a blast to actually drive it.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

25. carzguy

carzguy
    from Iowa

I found a 55 Plymouth station wagon that the guy wants to sell--may part out-if you want--message me and I can give you his contact info

26. bigblock47

bigblock47
    from Indiana

Here is my 55 plymouth, its got a camaro front clip, its bagged all the way around and it has a 318 with an automatic

Attached Files:

• 034.jpg
      034.jpg
      File size:
      361.9 KB
      Views:
    dakiwi likes this.
  27. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

One day..I am gonna build a Kustom just like this Mopar.....just love it..... With out the stupid Dummies!

Attached Files:

Waldoz likes this.
  28. 49toad

49toad

Eldon Titus's 56 Plymouth was one of the best mopars I've seen. Ok I'm going to try to post a black & white picture of it. I haven't seen it on here yet. This was back around 1984 or so.

Attached Files:

29. mdcolby

mdcolby