Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who has air conditioned garage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38standard, Aug 11, 2010.

1. el shad

el shad

My old man has a 3 car attached garage and an over sized 2 car garage in the back. He called me over last week to show me that he had ADed the back shop. I was overwhelmed with jealousy when I walked in and wanted to punch him in the throat purely out of jealousy.

2. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

when it's 110° plus in these here parts, A/C makes all the difference in the world - even if you're just sitting out at the bench reading car books and sipping lemonade.

The hangar is another problem - I use a swamp cooler but the building is quite capacious and those dang things really create some serious moisture, so we just use it to sit in front of and flap our lipwings.

dj

3. when I sheetrocked and insulted the shop last years I added a swamp cooler but its not working when its humid,I also added ceiling fans,so when the hunidity drops the swamp cooler should work great..........damn monsoon season

Attached Files:

4. outlaw256

outlaw256

it was 118 in our shop yesterday and its been close to that for a few weeks.we have a custumors 65 ranchero in there that needs to go but welding inside that car (building new floors and sgaured up the tunnel) is next to impossible.hell i cant even work on my own stuff . but im puttin in air or closin up shop.

5. When I built my new shop in 2004 I installed central heat/air,,I insulated the shop to the max both ceiling and walls and it has paid off big time,,,regardless of what the weather throws at me I can be comfortable year round working in the shop,,,provided we don't have a power failure!:rolleyes: HRP

6. zzford

zzford

Count me in on A/C comfort. I bought a used 14,000btu unit for $75. Was well worth the $ and the effort.

7. chevyshack

chevyshack

Ive got a window a/c sitting on the shelf waiting. I gotta get some insulation for my door and attic above garage before i use it. Plus i have a 2" gap all around the bay door i gotta seal up.

8. Hell yes!

9. krooser

krooser

I've had my a/c going for about 3 days since I got off the road... but I hadn't been in the shop to enjoy it...this morning it's a nice 62F in there....I may just open a butcher shop...

10. 59 brook

59 brook

had a partner who dropped off a big box on my front porch. my wife calls me screaming when she get's home for lunch "what the hell did you buy now ? it's huge." well i honestly didnt have a clue . seems my partner gave me a gift and didn't have the room to keep it on the truck all day,so he dropped it on the porch,never told me ,figuring he would come back that enening and hook it up. well it definately makes a huge difference down here in how much you can do without sweat dripping all over the piece your working on. Plus it's my mancave where the wife won't go

11. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

Ive had AC in my garage for the last few years and couldnt bee happier!!! Its a wall unit, the largest 110v before they go to 220v.

-Jason

12. Guilty !!! But I spend about 14 HOURS A DAY in here !!! >>>>.

13. willymakeit

willymakeit

AC in mine and I like it. Was thrown in the trash by the school system. Free is good.

14. Forecast For Today !! >>>>.[​IMG]

15. Original Gangster

Original Gangster

With a schedule like mine pulling 14+ hours a day, 6 days a week I have AC! No apologies here either. I've paid my dues and built cars in the gravel, dirt, sun and under trees for shade.

16. My teeny one-car garage stays cool if I simply open the 30" door from the attached garage to the house. I had a KILLER A/C unit/heat pump system put in the house a few years ago...keeps house and garage cool. I guess there IS an advantage to having a little 1 car garage.

17. I'm lucky enough to have 5 ton AC/heat in my garage/shop. On the hottest/coldest days I can get it comfortable in about 10 minutes. Luckily SoCal has been on a record cool Summer so far. I only had it on once

18. 26 roadster

26 roadster

no a/c and it sucks! I have had a SS-396 in there for a week and can't get anything done on it. Thank god the fellow is not in a hurry.
    A/C, a must do soon!!!

19. 2002p51

2002p51

This past year we added a small apartment attached to the side of the garage for my wife's elderly mom to come and live in. (She needs some care)

Since the new apartment's HVAC unit was right on the other side of the garage wall, I had the contractor run two ducts over to the garage side. :rolleyes:

Bingo, heat and A/C!

20. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

Its worth every penny. Outside 100+ inside a comfortable 82.

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

it sure would be nice for a few of the bad months up here..but fans and pulling in the cooler night air really helps, oh and insulation does wonders.

my shop 30x32..used to be uninsulated and it was rediculous to try and be in it in the summer months..like a beer can on the beach..you couldnt even touch the walls.

but after adding commercial steel building type insulation..its liveable if you work on getting the cooler air in there at night..

now to have the AC or a dehumidifier to knock back the humidity, that would rock

22. jmikee

jmikee
    from washington

Got a 1200 sq foot shop in two rooms. replaced a big wall unit with a 30,000 btu mini split system and it cools great and heats in the winter as long as it runs 24/7.
    Can't live without it.

23. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

O.K. what's a swamp cooler ?

24. The Strawbale shop does pretty darn good w/o AC. The key is ventilation. Even on most 100 degree days I can get a cooling breeze with my North-South openings.

I also have a ceiling fan in the main shop and an old squirrel cage out of a furnace if I need more flow.

If it really got bad I would go for a Swamp Cooler since our humidity averages under 30%

25. chris55

chris55

Put it this way, when I got to the shop the other day, a spray paint can I had on top of my roll around had split at the seam.(hey it was flat black, at least it was a traditional mess) So ummm no to the A/C question.

26. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have it in my 2-car. Walls and ceiling are insulated. Doors are insulated a little bit. Window unit. Works great. I don't try to keep it chilly, just knock the heat back and keep the humidiy down. I never think twice about walking out there to work, no matter how hot it is outside.

27. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

It's an air conditioner that cools by evaporating water.

28. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

I have Geothermal heating/air conditioning in the shop and house. Works great and doesn't cost much to run. JC

29. alittle1

alittle1

That's pretty ungrateful of you, maybe the old man should have jerked off instead of having you.

30. And they don't work in humid climates, like where I live.:mad: