Register now to get rid of these ads!

help me choose rear suspension swap 54 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by murf-lostincity, Aug 11, 2010.

1. murf-lostincity

murf-lostincity

i was going to bag my 54 chevy sedan i welded in a ultralow fatman crossmember, i removed front suspension and got rid of it along with the rear springs. Now i decided to go different route a money saving route or a i dont have money route i just want to finish my car already.

So my question what would be the cheapest fastest route as far as the rear suspension and axle is concerned? what rearend will fit? what leafsprings will fit.

i have a 78 camaro rear, but am thinking fastest way is to rip out entire rear end with suspension from a car but what year should i look for?

2. krooser

krooser

bolt in some stock rear leaf springs...

3. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

X2 what he said!

4. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

I have some s-10 lowered aftermarket leafs that you can have for free if you can use them. I have no use for them. I think I have the shackles too but no mounting pads.

let me know.

5. olds34dude

olds34dude
    from florida

krooser korrect

6. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I chose a little different route onthe rear suspension on my 53 Chevy. I moved the stock leafs in and up. It got me 4 inches with stock springs. I'm going to use Posies 3 inch drop springs and blocks to dial in my ride height. The set up is very similar to mid 90's Chevy 1/2 ton pickup rear suspension.

Here is a link to my build thread. The chassis build starts on page 6.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463187

7. murf-lostincity

murf-lostincity

i would use the leafs that cam off the car but i scrapped em.

8. murf-lostincity

murf-lostincity

no way!! sick yeah man i could really use those leaf springs!
    i parted ways with the airbags, there not for me

9. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

hmmm...i wonder if the whole rear suspension setup in a nova would work?

I know the rear is the correct width but i am not sure about the distance between the leafs.

if you have a rearend already and i give you the s-10 leafs. it seems all you would need is axle perch if you don't have any and mounts to mount the leafs to the frame.

anybody know if the lowered s-10 leafs will work or are too long/short?

are you in bakersfield or santa cruz? if bako i can bring them to you or you can come pick up in Taft.

10. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

I just did it for my 52 chevy, I tried to use my original springs and I think it would have worked if a drunk buddy of mine wouldn't have cut the perches and blew a hole through my 73 camaro rear end. I have since learned that you could take out the 3rd and 4th spring out of the original set up and then simply drill a new hole through the camaro rear end. I ended up using chassis engineering springs and I do have to say that they are AWESOME but they are also pretty expensive. Good luck! Sam

11. murf-lostincity

murf-lostincity

im back in bakersfield, actually a nova rear would be better for my set up
    i was looking for a nova rear end for a good while until i finally settled for a maro rear
    the nova is 60 inches i believe or at least its 1 inch shorter than the camaro rear end i have
    my rear end will work but it will be tight and the skirts would scrap... no good!

when you say the distance between the leafs do you mean , how to mount them so they are properly loaded not too springy not tofirm?? or if they are enough spring to support the car?

i'd hate to make you burn gas on the trip, i can pick em up if you want.

12. murf-lostincity

murf-lostincity

im back in bakersfield, actually a nova rear would be better for my set up
    i was looking for a nova rear end for a good while until i finally settled for a maro rear
    the nova is 60 inches i believe or at least its 1 inch shorter than the camaro rear end i have
    my rear end will work but it will be tight and the skirts would scrap... no good!

when you say the distance between the leafs do you mean , how to mount them so they are properly loaded not too springy not tofirm?? or if they are enough spring to support the car?

i'd hate to make you burn gas on the trip, i can pick em up if you want.

13. Odd Rodman

Odd Rodman
    from N.Colorado

Use a G body chassis out of a 78-87chevelle, cutlass, buick, el camino. It has 4 link rear coils spring all around and ride great. The coil can be replaced with air bag too. They are great frames. The rearends are about 2" narrower than Nova's. Look at them before you decide.

14. Dead End Sleds

Dead End Sleds

15. brad chevy

brad chevy

70-72 Nova rearend is what you need.Like you said the Camaro is alittle to wide. With the Nova rear you can still run some descent size tires and have plenty of clearance.