Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lakeside Speedway being torn down??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sparkydeluxe, Feb 21, 2010.

1. I'm hearing through a few folks that Lakeside Speedway in Colorado is coming down for good. Anybody have any confirmation or info on this? I haven't been able to find anything and am hoping this is just rumor. Lots of history there and it would be a shame to see it go.

2. Ghost28

Ghost28

That would be sad. I don't think they have used it for anything in a long time. What would be a additional loss would be for lakeside amusement park to be torn down. But I don't think that is going to happen because it looks like they have just painted all the roller coaster wood again. If you here any more keep us informed?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  3. amphicar

amphicar
    BANNED

I sure hope not! I have spent many nights there watching the meyhem! My bro-in-law used to race there in the 70s. I have thought it would be cool to see if I could give Amphicar rides on the lake lie the old boat rides they used to offer. The amusement part side opened in 1908, it would be a shame to loose it like Elitches.

The track opened in 1938 and has been closed since 1988. I read the equipment is already in place for the demo. They mentioned the wood from the stands is slated for repairs to the Cyclone (ahh, the memories, clackity clack...)

Attached Files:

4. This was inevitable. The speedway has been closed since the late '80s, when that car went flying into the stands, killing or injuring several people. I remember going there as a kid to watch the races. Never was much for the amusement park...I liked Elitch's (at the old location!) instead. Lakeside's Cyclone roller coaster is world-famous, and is nearly 80 years old...clackity-clack, indeed!

Still, it's a shame to see it happen, as racing was a staple there for decades!

5. Ghost28

Ghost28

I googled. (lakeside speedway colorado). And everyone is talking about it being torn down before summer. Kinda sad but the race track is just a ghost of what it used to be. There are trees growing up through the track, and the stands are falling apart.

6. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

Saw a few midget races there years ago when I was a little fellow, now I'm an old fellow. It's sad when things or places you remember from your childhood get torn down. I remember the roller coaster ride. Coming over the top and looking down at the water, what fun, and the train ride around the lake. Ah yes, times gone by.

7. DiabloMann

DiabloMann
    from colorado

It always sucks to see history being destroyed, especially if you have memories from the place.

8. Just talked to my sister, who lives in Denver. She and her husband have Sunday breakfast with people who live literally next-door to the racetrack, and so far, there is no talk of demolition of the raceway facilities!!! This is from people that are also involved in the workings of the park, so I'm willing to take their word for it.

NOW, keep in mind, the old Lakeside SHOPPING CENTER has been leveled, and it is right next door to the amusement park, and down the street from the racetrack. So, for those of you in the Denver area, that is probably what you heard about, was the shopping center being bulldozed, versus the track.

9. colorado51

colorado51

Just drove by there a few days ago, its still there and standing.

When I was a kid, our family would go there almost every Sunday night. And on the weekends that we didn’t' go, I remember going to bed listening to the cars going the track (we lived about 6 miles away).

Had a lot of good time at the amusement park also…..

Good times.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  10. BEAR

BEAR

THAT would be sad

11. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Wow I used to live in the Springs and I've never heard of this place. Granted I was only there while I was in the Army but still...

Sounds interesting. Would hate to see it gone now that I've finally heard about it.

12. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

13. hotrodlarry

hotrodlarry

'Bout time they leveled a shopping center instead of a race track.

14. kiotes

kiotes

I was just there last weekend and the track and stands are still standing. What a COOL place. Its like taking a time machine back, I wanted to jump the fence and just walk the track and sit in the stands. You could feel it, was like it was alive pretty intense. The park is a wonderful place too. We just happen to take a wrong turn and there it was, we spent most of the day there. It would be great to see it restored and used once in awhile, but progress is pretty strong.

15. ratster

ratster