Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there anyway do to a truck rod right?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TurboShadow, Jul 14, 2010.

1. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I built my truck because at the time it was the only old tin i could find locally and actually afford. This was my "this 'il do for now" project, untill i come across, or can afford to buy what i really want.

Lets face it, its cheaper to build a truck rod than it is to chase down a Model A thats worth fixin.

2. uglydog56

uglydog56

Put a 1 ton dually rolling chassis under it and put a slant bed on the back. Badass hauler!

3. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I have always wondered about using motorcycle style fenders that turn with the wheels on the front and a cut fat fender on the back mounted to the axle tight like a cycle. The options for interpretation on this approach would be endless, you could go chopper style or full dresser style or any where in between. This also opens up a whole world of light mounting options. you would have to do some renderings but I think you could have a tight looking ride.

4. ...............thats the next Rebel Rodz cover car!

5. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

This one was listed as a '46 I like it a lot better than some of the '30s shown, it's got a nice stance to it.

Attached Files:

6. Raunchy

Raunchy

Mine... I like it.

Attached Files:

7. That's the way to go.

8. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

Thought I would update this. I finially saw a "bobber" in person. I was in kenniwick WA with a buddy and one drove by. I tell you what, these things photgraph like crap! It looked awsome. I'm seriously swayed to go this route now. I will still have to fight with the proportions thou...

9. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Here is one I finished last year.

[​IMG]

10. big otis

big otis
    from omaha, ne

i don't need a bunch of point and click hot rodders telling me what is right and wrong. build what you like!

11. codeblu

codeblu

Alot of interesting ways to ruin a truck.

12. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

\doesn't look like you need any help figureing it out to me ...first thing i thought when i saw the drawing was ....add a few inches to the bed and it's perfect , then i read that is what you wanna do. lock yourself in the garage and do what is in your head , it'll work!

jp

13. timmy25252

timmy25252

Mine is a 36 Chevy...

[​IMG]

14. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

A Truck. What is a truck? What is a hot rod truck? etc. etc. etc. All of the differences of opinion is what makes us all more alike.

My hot rod truck, is not necessarily that to all that look at it. I just point this out, in hopes that some of you that imagine in your mind that if you dislike my, or anybody elses', to the point that you need to downgrade it in public, you are the one that is off base... Your self-centered opinion puts you outside of the box. You need to simply learn to express your preferences without lowering yourself to name calling or downgrading anothr human being's pride and joy.

Me? I see some trucks that I don't like, but I don't lower myself to tell the guy that built it, that is obviously in love with it, that my opinion makes me somehow superior to him, that my values surpass his, or that my judgement of what makes a truck are more on target than his.

A couple of years ago, at a truck show, advertised as such, I entered my 'wannabe' and the trailer. There was a man there with a pre-war Autocar semi with stock-racks. It was a beautiful thing to behold, a 'big rig' of yesteryear without brakes on the front axle, tag-axle drivers, vacuum assisted brakes on the rest, most likely only capable of 0 to 40 in about 5 minutes which required a lot of gear shifting. He walked up to my rig, looked for a while, and commented; "If you can't haul cows in it, it ain't a god-damned truck", and walked away.
    That personal insult saddened me, because it left me with no desire to ask him any questions that I might have had about his neat old rig. That someone with such a neat piece of trucking history, something to be proud, but that lacked the humanity to the point that he would alienate those around him by openly disrespecting theirs.

15. An early mockup of my 41, the front axle is in stock location and later I moved the rear back another 3 inches from this shot. Now I am building mine with fenders but just a look of it without fenders.

Attached Files:

16. ironpile

ironpile

Build it according to your budget and most of all the way you want it

17. ibflyin

ibflyin
    from Tulsa, OK

This one was featured in a magazine a while back. The proportions are nice and it has a more "finished" look to it than a lot of trucks built in this style. I think the cab is a '46 Chevy. Ultimately, it's your truck/build...as others have said, build it the way you want and drive it-have fun with it!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. That one looks pretty good overall, despite a few late-model items.

19. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Heres the truck i posted previously

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I guess these are now being called "a more finished ratrod look"

20. mike hamel

mike hamel

Here is some pictures of my truck that I just finished. I would like to believe I got things right this go around. I think there is a lot of way to really ruin a truck. The anglelation of the grille has lots to do with it. Also building a truck with a flat firewall is a must. Thats why my 1936 international looks good with no hood because of that. People hot rod later ford trucks all the time and I just dont think they look right.

Attached Files:

• 029.jpg
      029.jpg
      File size:
      524.2 KB
      Views:
    • 048.jpg
      048.jpg
      File size:
      520.9 KB
      Views:
    • 079.jpg
      079.jpg
      File size:
      496 KB
      Views:
  21. forty1

forty1

i kind of biased, ( it's F/S to pay Dr.bills)

Attached Files:

22. Bowtiestang

Bowtiestang
    from Tucson AZ

I really like this one....NICE!

23. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

Key word is imagination does wonders

24. dlotraf

dlotraf

Amen..........................

25. shockley_67