Register now to get rid of these ads!

Photo album ---Kustoms

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by twochops, May 8, 2006.

1. Rikster

Rikster

No I don't... but would love to found out... and please tell us the old family doctor still has some old photos of his car.... This is my all time favorite shoebox Victoria custom....

So nice...

[​IMG]

2. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

What Rik just said...

3. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You read my mind and I already have a call into the Dr. It would be worth the Co-pay
    to get some kool pics......

Happy Trails,

Mick

4. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Haha, you did?? Do you have any photos of it. It is maybe not relevant for this thread, but I would love to see it :)

5. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Awesome Mick, keep us updated

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I've always liked this Vic too. Good to see the whole article here.

7. jerseymike

jerseymike

saw ray at the koa show this weekend, first time in many years. says he may have his son show him around on a computer. ray has a huge collection of old photos of mostly east coast customs and knows the history of almost all of them. ray has owned the connecticut yankee for 31 years now and does some articles for kustoms illustrated magazine. i think his collection and knowledge of the history of these cars would impress even rikster. hope he follows thru with the talk of getting on here. jerseymike

8. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

This thing rocks! I love how grungy it is. You can actually see this thing driving around.

And thanks to Rikster for more detail, as usual.

9. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was going through my old Merc pics the other day and I found these pictures of “Alley oop
    If my memory is correct, I thought that is what they called it. Love this Merc, I just wish that
    I had better pictures. Does anyone know who built it an if it is still around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy Trails, Mick

10. Rikster

Rikster

In post #1117 I posted two photos of a green 1950 Mercury Convertible taken in the early 1960's.

[​IMG]

And I have also posted a photo of a Scalloped 1950 Mercury Convertible.
    (I now know this image was flipped.. steering is on the right side)

[​IMG]

Today I learned that those are actually the same cars.
    I came across this nice BLOG about Ken Bausert from Richmond and his 1950 Mercury. Check out his blog about his Mercury to find out more about the car...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. 00 MACK

00 MACK

That "Alley Oop"was built by a guy named Paul Mathis in Indiana. I think he had a chrome shop and also ended up doing a milder 58 Plymouth after this car.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  12. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Ant,if I remember correctly,the same guy did a 36 Ford in purple primer for his wife.In fact,think "Alley Oop" was in prime also.

13. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Yep.Thats him! I think it was a Cabriolet.

14. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

I thought so.The mind hasn't failed me yet.I saw the Merc in Davenport at the Leadsled Spectacular in '89

15. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

On the "Projects Sitting and Rusting" thread, there's a photo of this car .....

[​IMG]

I don't think it's sitting and rusting since the photo appears to have been taken at a car show. I'm just not sure what it is or what to enter to do a search. Hopefully Rikster has some info and additional photos of it when it was in it's prime.

16. Rikster

Rikster

No additional info from me. But this car has been on here a couple of times. I believe somebody – current or previous owner – heard it was built by Barris. And was asking questions about it.
    I have no info on the fact if this is a Barris built car – it sound strange, but Barris did built a car styled in a similar way with to many add ons, by its owners request of coarse – or a car built in the late 40's or 50's. I have a feeling its a real old survivor, but I have no evidence to proof it.

This is how it looked when it was found... or at least showed for the first time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Thanks Rik. I knew you would know something about it. After looking at the rear of this car, I'm still not sure what it started out as.

18. Rikster

Rikster

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the main body is 41-48 Ford, including the front fenders, or perhaps those and the hood are Lincoln as well. The fenders are raised and the hood is sectioned.
    The rear fenders could be 42-48 Lincoln, and the lincoln also gave up the trunk for it....

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  19. FASI

FASI

Don't blame this mess on Barris, I don't think they could have been enticed by money, even in their early days to create this monster. The newer picture at the car show is clearly the same car; note the more recent work adding the Buick headlights. It isn't getting any better looking, sorry to say. My thought it was a 46-8 Lincoln with the Kaiser roof crafted on, etc.

20. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

I like the new headlights, looks way better IMHO.

21. Rikster

Rikster

The photos below is a Barris custom... sorry to say so, but its true... and this made me wonder if the yellow one could perhaps also been done by Barris...
    I dont say it is... but when I saw these photos I could see some similarities.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  22. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

I saw the car a few years ago at "Viva Las Vegas", and spoke to the owner.....He said the car started out as a 41 Ford, and was looking for more History on it....There's no evidence of it being a Barris car.....IMO, it's cool that it survived, but what a mess.....

23. alumslot

alumslot

I hope this is ok to post some pictures of Paul's 58 Plymouth. Taken at a show in 2009. This thread is so very interesting to see all the pictures of the customs. I've seen Alley Oop truly an amazing custom.

Attached Files:

24. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok? I'm surprised that his kustoms hadn't all ready showed up on this post. I've
    been a fan for years and I was wondering if he had owned a chrome shop. All of
    his rides have kool detail. You have to love that Chrome dash!

Happy Trails, Mick

25. big*b

big*b

this old shoe box was built in vancouver bc cananda in the late 50's to early 60's. would love to find out more info on it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Theres quite a few photos of it on here.

27. koolkemp

koolkemp

Very cool is it yours???

28. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Texas plate # RH6393 The yea on the plate was 1957. The pic is from the Ray Soff collection and is reported to have been taken by Connecticut custom nut, Bruce Ferguson on a trip to Cali. I just spent the past 3 hours looking at 1/2 of Soffs collection.

Attached Files:

29. twochops

twochops

00MACK---Ask Ray if he remembers me, tell him who TwoChops is.

30. 00 MACK

00 MACK

He does, clearly.