Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Lincoln Y Block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

55 Lincoln 341 Y block. Is this engine a good one ? How much larger than the Ford Y are they, and are performance parts available ?

Just wondering as there is one up for grabs here.

2. cornernfool

cornernfool

I have a dual quad intake and aluminum valve covers for that motor for sale. PM me if interested.

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

No other replies, just an offer to sell parts for it ? The parts do sound OK mind you :)

Where are all you Y block experts now ?

4. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

No expert but I run the hell outa mine!Great motor,1 yr only 55' .Mine came out of a dump truck,used the bellhousing mated to a t5. Later, Rob

5. got some rams horns off a truck and various other parts

6. Thumper

Thumper

7. jeepman

jeepman
    from az

check with fordy-blocks.com they even have magazine

8. bigguylilroof

bigguylilroof

dude i got one, but i tell ya, run the fuck away from it!! don't listen to the traditional fags!! it is a great motor but there are slim parts and egge is about the only one who carries the parts for it!! 20$ a valve son!!that is the cheapest!! i dropped 800 hundred just on head work, but they were pretty when done, who is selling it?? i sold one to marcy?? is it her? and it technically is not a y block due to the the ports not going in the same direction and a 292 or 312, but the intake looks that way! plus building a licoln is a whore and they are in a separate class from all others!!! does that speak clear enough 4 you??

9. technically is not a y block due to the the ports not going in the same direction and a 292 or 312, but the intake looks that way

The "Y" block is named because of the deep pan rails, not the port shape or direction

10. cornernfool

cornernfool

It is a Y-block, a Lincoln Y-block and they are damn fine motors. They kicked the living shit out everyone in the Le Carrera, they have been run in roadrace cars( I have one that came out of an Allard), some guys up north are still running them.The only thing the same as a ford y is the distributer(after you change the gear), and the oil pump. The lifters are the same as an FE, and you can use an FE fuel pump also. I modified an FE bellhousing, flywheel and pilot bushing on mine and run a 11" clutch in front of a 4 speed toploader from an FE Cougar. The 341 is one year only and should have a TurboDrive trans behind it, not the GM 4 speed Hydro used from 52-54. There's a few people on here that know these motors, if you need help just send a PM or look up the Lincoln Y-block builders social group. Good luck, enjoy, and have fun. Mike who's still running a built 368, not some bellybutton chevy.

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks for the heads up guys. I was afraid parts would be a bitch and the motor was one of those "maybe available" type of things.

I have found a 57 312 Y block I am buying from a local HAMB member here, it has an Edelbrock tri power and holley carbs, Offenhauser finned valve covers and a finned alum valley cover. Mallory dual point ,that I think can be converted to electronic.

So needless to say I'm pretty pumped right now :)

My 26 T RPU is gonna have a 312 Y block :)
    Larry.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  12. Larry,

It is going to look good in there......... now I need to figure out how to get the 348 into the coupe.....

Good meeting you.

Allan

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It should be do-able Allan, plus it's a fresh already built engine you have there and with the tri power will be nice.

If you sell the flathead too then for sure your choice will be made. :)

I'm sure you have seen this picture on the other thread.

Attached Files:

14. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Too bad, I want to think that the STOCK LYB heads would outflow any head you could put on a 312.

My little stock 341 with my homemade 4 bbl adapter, mallory ignition, THM 350, and my less than $1,000 rebuild (ok more of a freshen up), is not a "power monster" but it makes my 55 Capri kind of quick and it is possible to get a good 2nd gear chirp anytime.

[​IMG]

YEA, I LOVE MY LYB... :D

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Here's the 312 :) And I'll probably order up a pair of these in the near future.

Attached Files:

16. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I can look through the INTAKE ports and see the valves on my LYB heads.... :D

17. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I have two 317.5 Lincoln Y's, one 368 Lincoln Y, and a 272 Furd Y. The Lincoln Y's use hydraulic lifters and between the lifters and rockers the engines will have valve clatter till warmed up. That is about all I hate about the engines, and possibly the teapot holley. That carb is a weird setup with the float bowl hanging in the wind.

I don't forsee problems getting the rebuild parts. I see rebuild kits for around 1K. This isn't bad if you throw in crank, bore, and head machining. $1500 is not too bad for a good rebuild.

18. 2Hep

2Hep

The Lincoln Y is much bigger then the Ford/Merc Y's. Infact the Lincolns are the pre FE blocks of the 60's. Same bellhousing set-up and internal set ups as well. It's a very strong motor, and was one of the 2 engines of the 50's that came standard with a 4" piston (the other being Buick). Parts are available, and rebuilding is about as much of a pain as it is to rebuild any engine that isn't the common small block ford or chevy. Parts will be cheaper then that of any Mopar of that vintage.